Saturday, January 28

What'cha cookin'?

What did y'all fix for supper tonight? We're slummin' it tonight - it's some kind of green chile stew-ish mixture. Not sure what to call it. Somehow, "oops, we don't have diced tomatoes, think this enchilada sauce will work?" doesn't quite have the panache (with or without the accent marks) that it needs. What's Spanish for "goulash", anyway? Smells delicious, though, and it'll be great w/ shredded cheese and warm tortillas. Everything is great with shredded cheese and warm tortillas.

Oh, I had the most bizarre conversation with a lady today. In her defense, maybe she's new. Or senile. Whatever it was, something wasn't quite connecting and I don't think it can be blamed on my heavy Southwestern accent. ;-)

I looked up retailers for Ener-G foods, hoping to find somewhere a tad closer than the current 40-mile one-way drive for a loaf of bread. Ooo, goody! There's one in Hartselle, just down the road a ways.

So I called, explained that I'd found their number listed as a place to purchase Ener-G brand products and asked which breads they carry. This is, by the way, the point at which I lost the poor woman - she never did get beyond this part of the conversation - but I wasn't aware that this was such a large obstacle, so I kept going, thus compounding the situation and pretty much guaranteeing that I will never get a loaf of bread in Hartselle.

We did establish that they do not have a single Ener-G product in the store, of that much, I am sure. Mostly. The conversation after the introduction went pretty much like this:

NOL (Nice Old Lady): Well, what are you looking for?
Me: Wheat-free breads.
NOL: What's the name of it? E what?
Me: Ener-G. But do you carry any wheat free breads? (you know, considering we've already established that you do not have their stuff there)
NOL: Um, we have macarrons. They're (reading the label) wheat free, gluten free, egg free, dye free, dairy free, soy free, and nut free.
Me: Great. So you do carry other wheat free products, or just, um macaroons?
NOL: Maybe. I'll have to look. Now what kind of products did you want?
Me: Um, bread. Wheat-free Bread. Any brand. I don't care.
NOL: We have pizza crust. (Again, reading the label.) It's made with stone-ground, organic, whole grain flour.
Me: No, that won't work. Unless it specifies another type of flour, like rice or something else, it's going to be wheat.
NOL: We have Ezekiel bread.
Me: (perking up considerably, thinking she's maneuvering into the right plane) Oh, yes, I'm familiar with that, but it does have spelt and we can't do spelt. So, is that the only bread you carry, then?
NOL: Did you want carrots?
Me: *blink* (oookayyyy... now you've lost me)
NOL: ...I mean, do you want produce? We have carrots. We have organic produce and locally grown produce.
Me: Did you say "carrots"?
NOL: Oh! You're looking for carrots? Yes, we do have carrots. Thank you.
Me: DON'T HANG UP!
NOL: Oh, did you need something else?
Me: *sigh* No. Thank you. Have a nice day.
NOL: You, too, sweetie.

There was a part in there where she offered to call her suppliers, but I never did ascertain whether it was the produce suppliers or the dry goods suppliers, or if she was even sure what she was calling them for. Whatever it was, she said that if she can get it, she'll order it for me if I order by the case. Ahhh, yes, bulk mystery foods. It's the adventurous way to buy! So, essentially, she was very, very nice. Not one bit of help, but very friendly about it.

We still don't have any John bread. Fortunately, the store in Huntsville is a Seventh Day Adventist-owned company, so they'll be open tomorrow and we can get our stuff in the morning.

I'm gonna go warm some tortillas and call in the boys (I cannot believe they have been outside, in the dark, playing - for the last two hours!! They are so going to pass out tonight! Muuahhhaahaaahhaaa!)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

10 comments:

Emily said...

THAT is why I have given up on shopping! Call me paranoid, but I believe these type of people have a club or message board somewhere and their mission is to follow me around. I find them everywhere! It's like I am speaking another language and they just cannot grasp it.

Good luck with the bread hunt!

~Em

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

The boys had soup. Roscoe and I had mexican food from a place nearby that delivers. The food is not that great, but, you know, they deliver. *shrug*

I'm doing some serious empathizing with you on the gluten free bread, though. We finally found some, but it's $6 for a very. small. loaf. My boys demolish a $6 loaf of bread in 2 days flat. I think we're buying a bread machine.

Anonymous said...

That story was really funny! I hope you do find somewhere soon to buy your carrots. HAHAHAHA!

Have a safe trip tomorrow!

H said...

Dinner?

Dinner was cheap Chinese food from the grocery store deli.

Sigh.......

Can we eat at your house?

Gem said...

Alright, I'll be the unhealthy poster. Tuna Helper -- actually, the store-brand version, Tune Magic -- and steamed broccoli. Yum, yum!

pilgrimama said...

Leftover Chinese food.I seem to make all kinds of Chinese noodle dishes these days.By the way I like to use rice noodles for them-can John eat rice products? (I'm more familiar with the "does this have dairy question?" but am curious. And I so love a "passel of kids" phrase! We think that way too.Here in Costa Rica we rarely find company for that mindset though! Marcella

Anonymous said...

Amber made a great vegetarian chili in the slow cooker from "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook" - by far the best slow cooker cookbook we've come across.

Anonymous said...

I tried a new recipe last night that was heavenly! As a matter of fact, I just had a helping for breakfast.

Hamburger Potato Casserole
From Diana Rattray,Your Guide to Southern U.S. Cuisine.

INGREDIENTS:

2 pounds lean ground beef, browned and drained (I used ground turkey.)
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1 small onion, chopped (I left this out.)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 package (10-oz) frozen green beans, corn, or mixed vegetables, 1 1/2 to 2 cups (I used a big can of green beans.)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 cups mashed potato flakes
1 1/2 cups sour cream
2/3 cup water
1 1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese
PREPARATION:

In a large skillet, brown the ground beef; drain off fat. Combine browned ground beef with tomato sauce, chopped onion, garlic, mixed vegetables, salt, and pepper. (The whole skillet part took me about 20-30 minutes.)Transfer ground beef mixture to crockpot. Combine potato flakes with sour cream and water. Spread over beef mixture. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours (HIGH for 3 to 4 hours). Sprinkle with the grated cheese 30 minutes before serving.
Serves 6 to 8.

(I cooked it on high for 3 1/2 hours, threw the cheese on which was melted 5 minutes later, and served.)

Rebel
http://www.mindspring.com/~rebel_hart

Melora said...

I love the jump from bread to carrots! Perhaps you would do better speaking to her in person? Ed had a similar situation speaking with a realtor in NC -- they might have been speaking different languages, but he is pretty sure she just had a really strong southern accent, and found his central Florida accent to be completely unintelligible. I guess the big difference is that he didn't really need the information from the realtor, and bread is pretty important.

We are having pancakes and bacon for dinner. It was supposed to be pizza, but I forgot to make the dough.
Cordially,
Melora

melissa said...

(Hey! I'm commenting!)Caught me on a pretty good night, we had baked chicken, baked potatoes, salad, and a thick slice of crusty french bread. Do NOT ask what we had last night.