Monday, January 23

Back to Work! *hyah!*

(That's a whip-cracking sound, up there in the title, btw.)

It is absolutely gorgeous this morning. Since I awoke, the sky has turned from Deepest Black to myriad shades of blue, lavender, and yellow. Now it's working on hues of orange and red. I love waking before the sun.

Sadly, my quiet morning time has once again been foiled by the Small Ones With Radar. That wouldn't be so bad if Miss Emily and I hadn't been up, putting miles on the treadmill (aka - up and down the hallway) until well past one this morning. But we did. And it is. And I cannot in good conscience tell you that it's pleasant to be up with three children awake, hungry and rambunctuous, at six-thirty in the morning when you were up til one. They're still cute, and I still like 'em, but this isn't what I wrote in my schedule!

Today we're all on our own. Zorak is back at work, doing the dragon slaying so that we can keep this wonderful roof over our head. He's so tough. I don't imagine the last week was much fun for him - being thrown into the fray without a whole lot of training and preparation. The first few days were grueling, but by the weekend, he was on firmer ground and was such a help. I do appreciate that. And I appreciate that he supports me being here, doing this, all the time. I know I'm fortunate.

John is healing. Smidge is still carrying around the potty for no apparent reason. James is devouring a book that one of Zorak's dearest friends sent us (E.D. Hirsch's First Dictionary of Cultural Literacy - what a great resource!) Em is, finally, asleep. Ahh, the sweet sound of deep sleep! I don't know what's on our agenda today (and in light of the laundry-list issue, I wouldn't tell you if I knew - that'll have to wait 'til tonight so it's not a to-do list! hee hee), but I do think we'll pop outside to play between thundershowers if we can.

The school room should be set up the first of February, and then this space will return to its former status: occasionally mentioning the fact that we do, actually, and honestly, educate our children at home. Been a little sparse on the details there, lately, I know. Been a little sparse on the activity, too, though, so that would explain it.

We'll be doing science with birds, building bird feeders and learning to identify the locals. We'll be reviewing math to see how much has leaked out their ears while they've been knocking about the property. We'll gently start back in with the Pater Noster until I order Latin for Children for James. We'll be reading more again, telling stories and writing our lessons. Yep, everyone back to work. Cracking the whip and such, as it were. *wink*

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

3 comments:

Jules said...

You are an amazing woman- even thinking about starting school with all that you have going on right now! You are my idol! ;)

These are good days, aren't they?

Anonymous said...

I am fascinated by the fact that you are including classical learning in with your homeschooling. This is exactly what we want to do with our boys. Hubby and I have both taken Greek and Latin in college, but eventually I would like to pick your brain about your curriculum. Ours are 2 1/2 years old and 10 months right now, so we have a little bit of time. I am already teaching Karlos the Greek alphabet along with the Roman one. Learned a great little diddy in college. If you are interested I can sing it on an audio blog on my page. It is a really good one. Let me know. Keep up the good work.

Spinneretta said...

My goodness Dy, you have been busy!
I am so glad to hear that John's thumb is OK (my brother did something similar LOL), and now it is time to retrain Miss Em to sleep at NIGHT ;)
I sincerely hope she learns soon... I remember that with my dd... oh wait... that was just 2 nights ago... I wonder... will she *ever* grow out of it?? ;)
As ever... I am impressed :D