Saturday, January 21

A (thankfully) quiet day

Today was just blissfully normal.

The boys had cereal for breakfast. They played with the dog. They made spears and sheilds and staged an ambush that had me just rolling (I was the one who got ambushed). Balto, we discovered, is a natural-born tracker. The boys went to the creek after lunch and when their wee pup emerged from his nap, he started looking for them. He found a trail and sniffed his way to the path they take to the creek, then let out a little hop and started down the trail after them, nose sniffing, tail wagging. Good boy!

Zorak worked on cleaning the tool room. I cleared the boys' bedroom and pulled out a few winter shirts in a fairly more normal size.

For supper, we made roast teriyaki chicken with rice and brussel sprouts. The boys ate seconds. Then thirds. They're snuggled into bed now, and the fire is blazing in the stove. Emily is curled up in my lap, looking around and contemplating whatever quantum physics-related problems newborns contemplate. She looks very happy.

Thank you for the well-wishes for John. They cheered him tremendously. He is doing okay today, although he's far too active. The bandages haven't slowed him down a bit - this morning he took the dog for a walk and this afternoon he and James headed to the creek. Like I said before, quite a trooper. We changed his bandages and I felt a little queasy. The thumb is pretty swollen and raw. John was expecting a prettier picture, too, I think. He gasped and whispered, "Oh, mama! That looks bad!" *cringe* I know, sweetie, I know. Lots of snuggles today, all around.

We read bedtime stories. I cleared out a drawer for Emily's clothes and blankets. Zorak hung a little sheetrock in the hallway.

Like I said, blissfully normal. Significantly less interesting blogging material than a good old-fashioned emergency, I know. Still, every once in a while, it's nice to have nothing interesting to say. *grin*

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

6 comments:

H said...

I'm so glad John is doing well! That must have been such a scary thing!

I remember (vaguely) that Abraham Lincoln had a similar accident when he was a boy, except that he hit his foot with the hatchet. It was pretty serious, but he (obviously) survived. John is in good company.

Sending the boys off to thecreek sounds very cool! Very 19th century boyhood. That's the way childhood is supposed to be!

Blessings!

Delaina said...

Sounds like a really nice day indeed. I'm glad. You all needed it.

Exploring with Balto sounds like a lot of fun. Your boys are so blessed to have land to roam and creeks to play in.

Melora said...

I'm so glad you had a beautiful, peaceful day, especially after Friday's excitement! Your boys eat brussel sprouts - wow! (Your dinner sounded delicious to me, but my kids seem to take after their daddy in their lack of affection for vegetables.)

I appreciate your prayers regarding the sale of our house. I'm off to pray too!
Cordially,
Melora

Jules said...

Aren't days like that just heavenly? Nothing on the schedule, nothing demanding to be accomplished, just hanging out and doing your thing. That's my kind of day! I wish they came along more often! :)
Glad to hear John hasn't been too traumatized by his accident!

Laney said...

The calm *after* the storm is always so nice, isn't it?

I'm glad that John is feeling better.:-)

J-Lynn said...

Dyan, you're way ahead of me. This poor baby *still* doesn't have a drawer for his clothes. That's what the playpen is for...LOL

The day sounds heavenly, like days of winter and new babyhood *should* be. ;-)

Many hugs, this is *it*, you're living in the forever home. Life is supposed to be non-eventful most of the time. This is what we worked so hard for. ;-)

HUGS