Monday, January 16

Totally Boring Labor Update

OK, I really expected to have a baby in my arms by nine this morning - that's twelve hours, and that's plenty of time to spit one of these little critters out.

But.

No.

So I just had to call our midwife (again) and tell her there's still no change - average contraction is coming every 6-8 minutes apart, lasting about 25 seconds, with a whomperdine humdinger coming along just shy of every hour. Whoopty-do. She laughed. This is either far, far more efficient than I realize, or I'm just far too well-rested for my body to know what to do now. (Yes, LB, we've tried all manner of things. *grin*)

The midwife said to give her a call when we need her, but not during her belly dance lessons. (Of course she was joking, but it's only a half hour long class, so I'm pretty sure we can accomodate her on that request. *grin*) I'm glad we didn't ask them to come up right away. It's always awkward to have people sitting in your living room, staring at you. Or hanging out in the kitchen over coffee, while you're sequestered on your knees in the pool. Life as a dolphin at Sea World would be the ultimate Karmic Payback for me, if I believed in reincarnation.

Well, supper smells great -- I love that Zorak is such a great cook. It's raining out, so I can't do anymore laundry. The bed is made and ready to go -- and now it looks beautifully inviting. I didn't find the mama fiction books I'd gone looking for in the basement, but did find Zorak's Nietzsche and an anthology of short stories, so that's something to do.

Oh funny. I went to the living room to grab the books (because I couldn't remember what I'd brought up from the basement - the ultimate in pregnancy-brain), and promptly forgot what I was after (ack! it strikes again!). As I stood there, wondering aloud what I was looking for, James piped up helpfully with, "Food product?" ROFL - well, now that you mention it, a "food product" does sound good. Where did Zorak hide those FastBreak candy bars???

Will update later, hopefully with some exciting, fast-paced news! (Or something like that.)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

12 comments:

Donna Boucher said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Donna Boucher said...

Nobody tells you about these slow-one contraction an hour labors. I have, however, been present at two of them (as the photographer).

I can say this for sure...

Bambina will come out.

Sooner than later.

xxoo

Donna

CarolynM said...

Donna's right -- you didn't start labor until Baby was ready, and you won't finish labor until Baby is ready. But you WILL finish!

We're all anxiously waiting Emily's arrival, but none of us are more anxious that YOU are, dear DY.

Love and blessings to you all through these UNusual hours!!!

Amy said...

Dy,

Some links to help you "think pink" while you wait for your sweet little girl. (Always ignore the prices.)

https://www.hugsandhissyfits.com/store/Details.cfm?ProdID=1112&category=0

https://www.hugsandhissyfits.com/store/Details.cfm?ProdID=1112&category=0

https://www.hugsandhissyfits.com/store/Details.cfm?ProdID=1112&category=0

http://www.forgetmenotkids.com/pd_spring_garden_louisa.cfm

http://www.forgetmenotkids.com/pd_avery_lynn.cfm

http://www.forgetmenotkids.com/pd_luna_luna_butterfly.cfm

http://www.forgetmenotkids.com/pd_two.cfm

www.babybeanwear.com

Thinking of you!

J-Lynn said...

ROFL@James - he's so witty!

I loved talking to you tonight, you had 2 contractions in one short phonecall, that's progress! I remember doing this with each other last time around. I'm SOOO excited for you!!!

I can't wait to see her, can't wait for you guys to hold her. But these are thoughts you have twice as much as me...lol

Emily, you're one blessed little baby, you don't need to take your sweet time. Hurry up and come out so we can dote on you! :-) I can't wait to hear how the boys react and see pictures of little Emily with her 3 awesome brothers!

HUGS,

Jess

Kate said...

I second that Donna is right! I lived it. The labor was just downright silly, but my Emma did arrive! It is good to keep your mind occupied and I wish you the very best of deliveries!!

Warmly,
Kate

Emily said...

Girls always take a longer time to get ready, it's in our nature :) Hang in there! Surely she wont keep you waiting too much longer.
Hang in there!! ;)

~Em

Kim said...

I'm praying for things to really get moving.

Hang in there!

Jules said...

I've been wondering about you all day and hoping you would have a babe in your arms by now. Sorry to hear she is taking her sweet time- but I think labors that take a little longer are better. If it goes too fast, your mind doesn't have time to catch up with what your body has just done!

You sound so relaxed- I hope I can be that calm when my time comes! ;)

Still sending you peaceful labor vibes...

Libby said...

Wow, a lot of labor has happened since I checked in here!

Best wishes and prayers for you and Emily and the whole family.

Needleroozer said...

I agree with Jules, there is a lot to be said for a long labor. After 20 and 36 hour labors, I speak from experience. Get some rest when you can, and ride it out. Call again if you need to.
Loves and hugs, and more baby thoughts coming your way.
LB

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

since it's 7 pm now as I'm reading this, you must be actually having baby Emily! So exciting! I'm praying that it's going well. Please post pictures!