Sunday, January 8

Texture, Rinse, Repeat

Yes, that is how I do my hair these days. It's not a 5th Avenue look, by any stretch, but it does have that "busy, industrious, woman on the go" feel to it. I think I'll be ready for a change, though, in a few months. You know, once the joint compound grows out...

Today we got a lot done, but not much is visible. Zorak accomplished a great deal more on the house than I did. I worked here and there, helped him, and focused on the boys. Poor little things are feeling pretty neglected this weekend. Heck, they are pretty neglected this weekend. So, we worked on that a bit. I hope it helped.

The big deal of the day was (pause for effect... keep holding - it's a big effect) The Arch. The front door opens into a foyer that is more like a hallway than an entryway. It doesn't feel welcoming at all. It has that KGB "wait here" feel to it. It leads directly to the hallway and dead ends there. There was a narrow doorway-like opening to the right that led to the living space, but it didn't exactly invite you in. Seriously. We live here, and we still scarcely gave furtive glances into the living space as we trudged single file to the hallway (and then to the right, into the living room from there). Ick.

A foyer should not say, "Papers, please. *pause* Proceed." It should grab you in a bear hug and say, "Welcome! Put your coat over here, kick off your shoes, and come on in. The coffee's fresh. We're glad you're here." So we gave it arms and a personality to match. The little doorway-like opening is now five feet wide and arched. It's gorgeous, and diverts the flow of traffic into the dining/living area rather than to the end of the hall. Even all nekkid without drywall or paint, it looks better. It also created enough butt room for people to mill about in the foyer while they don coats and boots and look for mittens. Prior to widening the opening, there wasn't room to turn around if someone was coming in behind you. So. That was today's big Hurrah! It's purty, too.

The house will be converged upon tomorrow morning (at nine, ack!) by the midwives and three other pregnant women with their children in tow. That means I've got a *lot* of cleaning to do before I go to bed tonight. (You know, in case I'm still in my jammies when they wake me up er, knock on the door tomorrow.)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

3 comments:

H said...

Okay, Dy. I have the VERY rough draft of your card ready. I haven't adjusted the images to get rid of the white borders, but this'd give you an idea of what it could look like.

I don't have your e-mail, so you'll have to wander on over to my place to see it.

Hillary

H said...

Hee! Hee! Glad you laughed. I could never do this full time. I'm too much of a perfectionist, and those white boxes around the kids' heads drive me nuts. It takes a while to get rid of them. Still, it's fun to do.

When are you due?

H.

Needleroozer said...

Way to go! I can't wait to see pics! Your entryway sounds very warm and welcoming. Best of luck at your appt. tomorrow. Can't wait to hear all about it.

Hard, long, but good weekend here. Tons of tomato staking and heavy-duty parenting. Papa and I are exhausted! Who would
have thunk preteens were as challenging to parent as toddlers are?!
Wish me luck for tomorrow- we have a full, and I mean full school load scheduled.
Hugs,
LB