Tuesday, January 3

My sense of accomplishment tonight is tempered only by my sense of impending birth. Mighty odd combination, lemme tell ya. A friend laughed at me the other day because she’s convinced I’m the only woman this close to delivery who is actually praying the baby stays put a little while longer. (Not too long, as Zorak has a TDY assignment coming up that we’d like to go on, but long enough to get “just a little more done”.)

Aside from minor trimwork and towel racks, the main bathroom is now DONE. Finished – fully functional, AND attractive. It looks like a completely different room. Well, um, actually, it is a completely different room – from the new floorboards and subfloor to all the appliances, fixtures, walls and even the ceiling. All the wiring. All the plumbing. The cabinetry, double sinks, lighting. And we pushed a wall back a foot (which made an astronomical difference now that it’s all back together). Zorak even built a beautiful ceiling trim that makes the 8’ ceiling feel much taller and more spacious. The pocket door ROCKS. If you have the chance to put one in, don’t pass it up. That alone gives us a ton of floor space and leaves the area clear and clutter-free. We ordered a crescent shower rod, as well, which will make the shower enclosure feel more spacious, and I simply cannot wait to see the whole thing all trimmed out and picture ready.

The living room lacks primer and paint. That’s it. *huge cheesy grin*

This week we’ll focus on more wiring and on the laundry closet (which has me seriously cocker spaniel-like excited!) God willing, Emily will wait until I can do the wash at home before she makes her grand entrance. If she’s feeling particularly helpful, I’d like her to wait until we have the living and dining areas brought up to the same level of completion as the kitchen. That would be... perfect. *happy sigh*

On the baby front, however, she is much much lower now. I’d venture to say that if she’s not engaged, she’s close. I’m having minor twitching, light contractions, and a whole lot of femoral nerve pain. And yes, for the record, I’m ignoring all of it. Other than staying hydrated and reminding the boys to please use their inside voices, (we don’t want to make it sound like too much fun on this side of the womb, okay? Okay!) it's business as usual.

Smidge wants to use the potty. This will be much easier now that the potty is back inside once again. However, excuse me while I have a small meltdown over the fact that he couldn’t have begun this, oh, two months ago... one month ago... or just waited until Spring? No? No. *sigh* Of course not. (I actually held off on even mentioning it around him in the hope he'd be content to wear diapers until we got settled. How much of a total goober could I be?) Well, that’s okay. He knows what it is. He knows what he needs to do. He’s excited about doing it. That’s more than a lot of mothers get, and I will appreciate it for all its worth.

John has been talking about his allergy treatments quite a bit lately. He is anxious to undergo them. We are, too. Something else is getting to him recently - it shows in his little eyes and his demeanor - and I am terrified it’ll turn out to be something like corn or rice that he’s developing an allergy to. There is only so much I’m up for handling right now... and this wasn’t really on my top 100 list!! ARGH! We’re still not 100% sold on the treatment process, but we’re willing to give it a shot and see if it helps. If not, well, no harm done and we’ll know what avenue not to take next time. But if it works, oh heavenly joy!! Wouldn’t that be splendid? Yes, indeed.

James is a really neat kid. I'm so glad we didn't kill him while he was six. It really does get better! Gone is the argumentative demon that drove him mercilessly most of last year, and in its place is the spirit of exploration and curiosity and willingness to share that had originally inhabited our firstborn child. He's back to being helpful, attentive, funny. He’s changing drastically in his maturity level and his comprehension of the interconnectedness of all things. (In other words, he’s growing up.) Zorak and I are awed by him, and we truly enjoy his company lately. Moreso than usual. He’s got insight and a keen sense of how stuff works, and that’s quite a bit of fun to be allowed to observe as it unfolds and grows in your child. There is no drug on earth as potent as the twinkle of delight that shines in a child's eyes.

And ya know, just in case these contractions turn out to be more serious than I care for them to be, I'm going to go enjoy the new shower facilities at Hotel Forever Home and get some rest before midnight! (I keep swearing every pregnancy that I will sleep like a normal person, but so far I'm 0-3... sometimes I'm a little slow...)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

8 comments:

H said...

Dy,

I'm so excited for you! I cannot believe all that you and Zorak have gooten done in the past couple of months. Even if Emily appears before you'd like, you're ready. And once you meet her, you won't be able to imagine wanting to wait longer for her.

Did you know that Braden i tremendously allergic to everything? Everything environmental, that is: trees, ragweeds, molds, pollens, weeds, grasses, dogs, cats, and dust. They didn't test him for foods. Quite seriously, the only thing he isn't allergic to is the stuff we didn't test him for.

We started the shots in March, out of desperation. You just can't control that many things short of having him live in a bubble. (he'd probably be allergic to that too!) He gets two shots a week, and this treatment has a 90% success rate.

So far, we've been able to take him off the steroid spray, and (now that it's winter) he's off his allegra too. He'll be back on it once the tough months hit, I think, but it shouldn't be as bad.

Anyway, I wasn't sold on the treatment, but didn't see much of an option for him. And I'm pleased now to see some results. Thus far into the journey, it's been a good thing.

Blessings! Enjoy that shower! And know that you're not the only one who thinks sharing a cup of coffee of your Forever Home porch would be a special treat!

Emily said...

WOO-HOO! Well done on the bathroom! And all the rest of the work you all have done. I wish The Dude and I had a handy bone between the two of us.

And can I tell you how completely jealous I am in regard to Smidge?!? Walker will only sit on the potty if we bribe him with candy. And then he will happily sit there, eat chocolate chips and do absolutely nothing else. So take pride in your pottying son! Shout it from the roof top!

Rest assured that is what I will be doing, if the blessed day ever arrives in our household!

~Em

Stephanie not in TX said...

Have I mentioned how incredibly wonderful you guys are? You're amazing. And inspirational.

Tell Emily it's okay that she didn't decide to be born on my birthday. We have three more January birthdays in our family that she's welcome to share ;-)

J-Lynn said...

January 13th is my guess - is 10 days enough? ;-) I better get these clothes in the mail!

As much as I wanted to meet Tristan I really wanted him to wait for the perfect time too. And he did wait for me to get better healthwise, and for some things but not for everything to be done. But you know what? I had an odd renewed sense of energy about a week after he was born and I got it all done then. And the best part was I got to take lots of nursing breaks to just sit and enjoy him. ;-)

Hugs, things will work out just as they were meant to be.

Oh and CONGRATS on all the work done - WOW!

melissa said...

Great post! Loved the updates on the boys. I can't believe how much they are growing up!
It was so great catching up the other day. I am so excited for you guys. So many prayers answered!
Enjoy your new bathroom!!

Dy said...

THANK YOU for sharing your experience with NAET! That is the route we're going (and hey, what took you so long to say howdy, if you've been reading since that far back? LOL) I just can't bring myself to go the invasive, synthetic route right off the bat. It doesn't mesh with how we do everything else. You're right, though, it's a HUGE leap of faith. Zorak is eyeballing this particular experience with his "you and your voodoo" expression, which I can't blame him for (I give myself the same look in the bathroom mirror). However, thus far the voodoo hasn't failed me, so I'm excited to give the NAET a go. Again, thanks for sharing your experience - it's encouraging. Everyone I know IRL is waiting and watching US to see how it goes, lol.

Dy

Spinneretta said...

LOL Dy... I can sympathise with the voodoo comment... DH always looks at me as though I have two heads when I suggest anything remotely 'alternative' :) But hey... he is usually convinced!
Thumbs up on all the hard work you've put into your forever home...
And did I tell you how honoured I am to be mentioned TWICE in your sidebar ;) *RFLOL*

Hope your new year goes well... have fun! (And I'll send some 'EMILY WAIT!!!' dust your way!)

~Rachel~

pilgrimama said...

Wonderful! But I'm hoping with you that the laundry room gets done first! At least in my house babies mean laundry.(Those front loading energy efficient wash mashines are great,BTW.) mARCELLA