Saturday, January 7

Three Months Ago...

(edited to add... I have no idea where I was going with that title, but I just got back and it makes absolutely no sense at all. My apologies. It's late.)
It's ten o'clock at night. I can hear Zorak, up in the attic, working on the wiring. Since I can neither fit up there, nor handle the air quality up there, he has to work solo on that stuff. I don't envy him, that's for sure. Normally, he does short spurts in the attic, then comes down to de-grumpify himself before heading back up, but today was incredibly productive for him and he's on a roll (a bit of a manic, slighty disconcerting roll, but hey, it's forward motion, so I'll keep the coffee fresh and just check in on him every few minutes.)

But that's not what made me write about it. What I was thinking was not,
"There goes my gallant knight, fortifying the castle from all manner of dragons!"
But rather,
"Wow, it sounds like we have a ravenous, terrifyingly large critter up there, gnawing its way through every layer of protection the house has to offer."
I'm glad he's coordinated, too, as he's balancing on the truss spans to keep from falling through the ceiling.

The washing machine works. The plumbing is beautiful. It does not leak. The fan and lighting are what Zorak is working on now. It is beautiful. Totally worth losing a coat closet to get the setup we have! I didn't get back from the Lowe's run until almost five (and I got there at a quarter of two!) so I didn't get to run any actual wash today. But we *could* wash clothes, and that's almost as exciting as actually washing clothes. (Just can't dry 'em because it's below freezing outside right now.) So, yeah, I'm good with that. Tomorrow's high is supposed to be 67' - it's as if God is sending me a Special Laundry Day. *sniff, sniff*

Yesterday did not get any better, and I feel like such a heel for not handling it well. The effort was valiant, but fell painfully short of worthy. Today was much better, except for a few attitudinal glitches on my part - totally on my part. I'm really quite highstrung these days. This is my Achille's heel: deadlines. I don't cope well with deadlines, and sadly, my innate response is to unleash the Fury of the Damned on anything that doesn't scamper out of my way quickly enough. Lovely trait, I know. I'm actually exponentially better now than I was ten years ago. There is improvement. That, in itself, is encouraging.

The boys bathed today and then gleefully covered themselves in dirt within minutes of donning fresh clothes. This, actually, is a joyful part of the day, as it's part of being a happy child living in the country. Of course, I admonish them not to get too dirty, but leave it just vague enough that they can play (which they will) and get dirty (which they will) without feeling bad about it in the end. That's the good stuff.

And now, I must retrieve a pizza from Hartselle and some grapefruit soda from Wal-Mart and come lure my ravenous dragon-slayer down from the rafters. I'll blog more later.

Dy

5 comments:

J-Lynn said...

I love you guys! You make me laugh, and cry, and just want to be there to have coffee (and creamer, lots of creamer) with.

HUGS

H said...

Oooo! Dy! I would love to help!

I've already got a couple of ideas!

Mwahahahaha!

How are you feeling?

melissa said...

Oh Dy. We share the same Achilles heel. I call it my besetting sin.( Any because of this, you would NOT want to be around me in my late stages of pregnancy!) I think that you are doing an absolutely incredible job. Seriously. I take great encouragement from from you. Your general outlook on things helps me so much.
You will enjoy your laundry when you get to do it, and hanging clothes out on the line will be heavenly!

sisterscooby said...

ROFLMBO "degrumpify himself"

Can I phuleeeze send my DH up into your attic so that he too can work awhile and then come down and degrumpify himself?

Come on...

PLEASE?

Gem said...

I remember reading in one of the Little House books about them hanging the wash out in the winter and freeze-drying them. I guess if you get desperate you can always try it, lol!