Wednesday, January 18

Overheard and Observed Lately:

James:
When I stop singing to her, she starts meowing again.
*whispering* Oh, Mom... her ears are the size of candy!
Hey! I can reach all the way around you again!

John:
Babies are delicate, you know.
Wow - that's the whole baby! (Said during a diaper change - first time she was more than a head in a blanket.)
I think she needs to eat.

Smidge:
Ewwww... (pointing at some random body fluid)
Baby. Bed. Now. (Smidge carries a receiving blanket around, waiting to tuck her in the moment we lay her down.)
TOES! (Huge source of fascination!)

Zorak:
Huh? I'm up! I'm up! Are you okay? I'm up!

We're learning so many wonderful things.

For instance, did y'all know that when a little baby girl pees during a diaper change, you don't have to dodge or do a three-foot perimeter search for cleanup? That is very cool.

Bed Rest? Means. Nothing. when you have your fourth child. (Ah, well, I could dream, couldn't I?)

SweetPea gowns are darling, no matter what gender you put them on. Babies are just precious. Period. (We knew that, but it's fun to rediscover with each baby.)

Not being near family when you have a wee one is a little sad.

When the puppy doesn't see Mama for a couple of days, he gets a little spastic.

The capacity for people to share in joy and celebrate is breathtaking. (See the comments in Em's arrival post.) I am completely blown away by all of the wonderful comments and how y'all have joined us in welcoming Little Em to the family. *Thank You.*

And now it's time for me to sneak back to bed and kiss that baby!
~Dy

13 comments:

Donna Boucher said...

I feel honored that you have shared this intimate and precious time with all of us.

Sincerely.

Now about that bed rest. Just pretend you and baby Emily are on a ship....and the boys can be your little sailor servants. You know...the guy who helps the main pirate...what's he called?

Anyway...stay on your ship, Matey.

Anniesue said...

It is sad not having family around but you definitely have been shown love by your "internet family." Congratulations to all of you!

Kim said...

Virginia had Sweat Pea gowns. *sniff sniff*

Rest well when you can. Kiss your little girl for me, Dy.

Heidi said...

Donna, it's either First Mate or Cabin Boy. Arrrr.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! She is so pretty. I wish I could hold her. I know her life will be filled with love. Just hope her big brothers won't spoil her too much.(If that's possible.) I'm glad everything went well, and you now have that precious little girl to light up your life even more. We think of you so often, and hope you will come this way again sometime. Love, Tommy and Judy (Mama Metts)

Anonymous said...

Sweat Pea Gowns, oh my. That brings back memories. I wasn't sure people used them anymore. I rarely see photos of babies wearing them and I never see them in stores as I look longingly at the baby section.

I should buy some now in preparation for my oldest daughter's first child (she is trying but has not yet succeeded).

CarolynM said...

I loved the SweePea gowns, too. My babies enjoyed having the bottom of the gown to kick against -- like still being in the womb.

And all of us out here, your "internet family," will never be able to fully express how much we have enjoyed sharing all these precious moments with you and Zorak!

Spinneretta said...

Well I'm about to go comment on Em's arrival post ;) With all the others, but just wanted to say... I AGREE with the pee thing (much nicer), and perhaps you can pretend you're in a hotel and the boys can be paiges... maybe you're a Queen and Emily is the princess?
Anyway, all except little Smidge will be willing to help (and my DS is always after his sisters TOES too! LOL)
CONGRATS!

Bob and Claire said...

I too am looking forward to not having to duck during "wet" diaper changes! Girls--you're making me more excited about having one! I loved your boys' comments. So sweet!

J-Lynn said...

Yes, that was the hardest part after Tristan was born too. I wanted to pack up and go to family.

HUGS

Laney said...

waaaaa! Oh, I am just so happy!!! I am literally crying my eyes out! wwwwaaaaaa!!!

She is so incredibly beautiful and I am soooo happy for you, all of you!!!(((())))

Anonymous said...

Dyan, I don't know how you do it! I stubbed my toe last week and spent three days in bed unwilling to even look if there was any swelling or bruising, but you ... you hatch a young'un snap a photo, post it and blog about it.

Thanks for making me feel like a real wimp!

Oh and congratulations! You're now a two woman household who would have figured?

Janie said...

Dy,
Emily is just beautiful. Perfect for baby-kissing. I'm rather partial to the name Emily, for some odd reason! :)

Enjoy these days even though they can sap you of things you didn't know you have! They grow up so very quickly.

I've enjoyed reading about your Forever Home and reminisce through your adventures.

Thanks for sharing!
Janie from TWTM