Wednesday, January 4

Well, nuts

I had a post about my Christmas gift nearly completed, and in the process of uploading photos, Blogger's upload feature went T-U. *sigh* Their engineers have been informed of the problem and are working to correct it (or some such thing, I shut the window in frustration before I read it all). Maybe later it'll be up again. I've got a Photobucket account, but am just not motivated enough to go mess with it right now. Sorry 'bout that.

In the meantime, totally unproductive day today. Painted some flooring, and spent the day on High Alert for dog droppings, but mostly spent a lot of time with the boys and the dog, just playing, reading, talking. It was nice.

James found a tick crawling on his arm. He picked it up, killed it, and then informed me about it in such a calm, matter-of-fact manner that at first I didn't think I'd heard him right. So. Naturally, I freaked out enough for both of us. Flea and tick collar goes on the dog TO-NIGHT! Ugh.

Smidge spent the entire day nekkid from the waist down, carrying his training potty with him from room to room. If he could have secured it on the barstool, I think he'd have eaten dinner on his throne. He's so excited. So far, though, no results for his efforts. The only time he peed all day was during the few times he had a diaper on (before breakfast, naptime, and while I was painting). Gotta admire his enthusiasm and persistence. That potty is as big as he is. I'd be exhausted after lugging one around all day, to be honest.

Did you know that "unseasonable" is really a euphemism for "freakish"? It is. When they say the weather is "unseasonably warm," what they mean is "it's freakishly warm". Not that I mind at the moment - high 60's makes for a great temperature to open the windows and doors and air out the house. Still... it's January, isn't it? You know, the Dead Of Winter... I'm thinking this does not bode well for summer temps, but then I could be wrong. (I hope I'm wrong.)

That's about it. Nothing more to write. Going to hit the hay early tonight and hope for a wonderfully productive day tomorrow!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

8 comments:

Amy said...

"Freakish" - Nahh, your just experiencing winter in the mid-south. Next week you could be buried under 12-inches of snow or have a half-inch of ice. Such is winter in northern Ala, Tenn, GA, SC and NC. Unfortunately we have not had those high '60s yet. Gray, foggy and upper '50s has been our weather.

Congratulations on Smidges' resolve. It should make it a whole lot easier.

Amy in Apex

Amy said...

It's not the summer temps I'm worrying about, it's the summer bugs. Yikes.

How ya feeling?

Needleroozer said...

Eeewww. Ticks!
Sounds like you had a bit of rest yesterday- that's good.
I actually slept 6 hours last night- that ought to help a bit.
Love the image of Smidge carrying his potty around.
LB

Sheila said...

Oh..I forgot that this was your first winter in the deep South. Let's see, It will be warm off and on until Mid-January. Then the Februry rains begin and it becomes "unreasonably" cold. (to folks with Southern Blood.) Then March brings 70's again and we get over the fact that it was cold for about 6 weeks.

I'm hoping Smidge can come give some advice to Baby S. His body is ready but his mind is not even going to think about it.

Delaina said...

It is unusually warm for this time of year. I'm hoping the temperatures will drop a little bit more by February. I had looked forward to spending the winter days cuddled up inside while reading books and doing our lessons. So far, we've been spending very little time inside. It's been so nice outside that we just can't see staying in, or should I say...the little ones can't see any reason to stay inside.

We had issues with fleas this summer. Yuck! With the ticks, I usually put on some gloves, grab my tweezers, lay the pup down and pull as many as I can find. Make sure you get the heads so I put the tweezers as close to the body as I could. Then definitely treat them. Ticks won't die easily so I usually flush them down the toilet. If they already give you the heebie jeebies...hmmm, you may not want to do that.

I never really have much luck with flea and tick collars. I used Addams on my Sheltie. You spray it on their skin by seperating the hair. Then you have to let him dry out. It's kinda yucky for the first 3 days and so you may not like that route. It sure does work though. It gets rid of anything trying to live on the pup and I've noticed that I usually don't have to treat him again unless our yard or house is just infested with them. Which, if you have trees all around, you will have to deal with ticks yearly. Not only on the pup but on your family as well. Anytime we go venturing in our woods, I usually do a tick check on them when we get back home.

And, not to mention those little "no see 'ems". We have those here as well.

We've also used the once a month pills (worked really well but I couldn't afford keeping up with it) and the drops that you put in between their shoulder blades. DH prefers the drops and a flea shampoo. He just can't stand the Addams but then we have to deal with the pesky things every week or two, when the eggs hatch.

And, if you have any carpet to worry about with the potty stains, I use a combination of warm water, vinegar and baking soda mixed in a spray bottle with lots of paper towels. I've noticed that the stain doesn't come back up and the odor goes as well.

I also wondered if you were crate training him?


Okay, I think I'm done yacking. I hope you're feeling well.

Blessings!

~*~Delaina~*~

Bob and Claire said...

Ewww, ticks! Nathan had Lyme's disease a year ago, right after we moved here. Miraculously, we caught it early (it looked like he had a big target on his back), so he started on antibiotics right away, but still--freaky.

I applaud Smidge and his desire to be potty-trained! I have been lazy the times Jonathan has shown interest (well, actually we had been preparing to embark on huge car trips, and I didn't feel like dealing with a "new pottier" so I didn't really encourage him much). But now I'm ready, and of course he is not at all interested! I hope Smidge gets the hang of it all soon!

melissa said...

Yeah, the weather has been wierd this year.

Glad that Smidge is such a willing little trooper about the whole potty training thing. Too cute!

Take care girl!

Emily said...

YAH! Great to hear about Smidge! WHATEVER!
We might as well paint our floors yellow over here. Needless to say Walker is not lugging his potty from room to room.

Of course, I am kidding! But I am extremely jealous of Smidge's success :)

~Em