Sunday, January 15

Is this it? (Random morning musings)

I don't know. My back aches this morning. In waves. Part of me is thinking, "Well, I did get to bed at nine-thirty last night and got a good night's rest, so this would be a good day to go into labor." Another part of me is thinking, "But it's cold out right now... And the dog escaped and did a Templeton the Rat Smorgasboard-at-the-Fair routine on the house... And I was going to texture the dining room today... And... *whine*" So there ya have it. I don't know.

Our official edd started out at the 19th, then the spread widened to the 6th - 19th, somewhere in there. I prefer spreads over specific dates - they seem to alleviate the number of people who ask if you've had that baby yet (why, yes, but this gas is just causing awful bloating), don't ya think it's about time (no, we're shooting for the Guinness record for longest human pregnancy, why?), what are you going to do if you go past your due date (keep waddling? explode? what are my options?), and a slew of other irritating questions that may seem witty to the unencumbered. (Although nobody's done that here, and I do appreciate it, deeply.)

Truth be told, questions like that make pregnant women insane and grouchy. We're well aware of just. how. long. we've been pregnant. We're also well aware that we look miserable and that we are rapidly running out of elastin reserves. We live with the fear of our skin rupturing and us lying on the sidewalk with the wee critter emerging from our abdomens, Alien-style. "Are ya done yet" quips don't help that any. So we set a spread. Babies are born when they're done baking. They come when they're ready, and there's not much we can do but enjoy a mild panicky sensation as the ride begins, and then ride it out like a bronc buster. WEEHAW!

OK, I think I'm done with the disturbing visuals now. Sorry 'bout that. This is what happens when you cut back on caffeine. See? Coffee is a good thing.

Oh, speaking of which, I found a great new blog on the WTM listings. It's called, Caffeinated. So, of course, I had to check it out. I enjoyed it, and naturally feel a distinct kinship to anyone who believes in better living through caffeine.

Also, Staci, Mamabear, Kim (and the rest of y'all with HaloScan's anyone-but-Dy-can-comment feature) I read, but I cannot comment. *sigh* HaloScan hates me. However, I still enjoy your blogs daily, so please blog more often.

Well, the boys are up and I can stave them off no longer. They wake up so hungry, I have to wonder if they get up and go party in the meadow during the night. We feed them regularly, per the instructions, and they get fed well at supper. Yet still, first thing out of their precious little mouths in the morning is a plea for food. Because they're starving. It's accompanied by the most pathetic big-eyed expressions and folded hands. What's up with that?

My laundry froze on the line last night (that's how you know you're done doing laundry for the day, when it's crispy and stiff), so as soon as it thaws I can bring it in and finish it up. Guess I should go through all the lovely little girl clothes that we've been blessed with (because we have wonderful friends who took pity on this little girl when they realized I have had neither the time nor the inclination to shop for her - THANK YOU!) and wash some up today.

Just in case we don't make the Guinness records book. ;-)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

12 comments:

Denise said...

Ha - I was just commenting to my s/o about the children and the morning starvation routine. They truly act like they don't get fed breakfast every morning. This morning, the youngest who really doesn't eat much of anything, ever, said "I'm starving". I said mommy has already started breakfast. She said "Oh thank you thank you!!!!!" Umm okkkkk.

Enjoy the final days, pregnancy is a wonderful thing. Even when you do feel like you're about to explode.

Oh and thanks for the link to Caffeinated. It's a good one.

Sheila said...

I hope the baby comes when she's (and you) are ready. I hated those "You haven't had that baby yet?" comments. Once, I snarkily did answer..."I had him two weeks ago" just to see the shocked embarassment on the person's face. It was evil of me but so worth it.

I never missed being pregnant but I sure miss those fresh little babies. I'm so excited that you'll have a fresh baby soon. Even if your clothes are frozen.

J-Lynn said...

ROFLMBOPIMP@alien & bronco bustin'!!!

So true, so true!

HUGS, you'll be holding that baby in no time.

Jess

Needleroozer said...

We handled that Haven't you had that baby crud this way- we lied. On the advice of our ever so amazing midwife, we told everyone our due date was 2 weeks later than it was. We didn't start geting those nasty questions that drive very pregnant women cranky and insane till the buns were just about done in the oven. And the Girl came 2 weeks early (thank goodness!), so we skipped it almost completely with her. Who said honesty was the best policy?!

Hang in there, I love that you can make us all laugh even while your skin is stretching beyond belief!!

I, too, am sending easy labor vibes your way.

Hugs,
LB, off to cut trees down at Grandma's house today.

CarolynM said...

When I was out-to-here-pregnant, some jerk at church gave me that "are you still pregnant" line. Being already well past the line of civility, I looked down at my bulging belly and let out a blood-curdling scream as though this was the first time I had noticed the bump. He (or anyone else) never bugged me again! ;)

And, yes, it was worth the momentary embarrassment to put him in his place.

Praying for your comfort.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! Thanks for making me laugh today. I needed that.

Just so you know, I removed Haloscan comments a while back. Can you still not comment on my blog?

Sending hugs, love, and good thoughts your way today.
-dawn

Kim said...

I wasn't aware you had trouble with haloscan comments, Dy. Too bad.

I hope you are feeling well today. I'll be praying for you in the days ahead. I wish I lived closer so I could make some casseroles and goodies for you for when baby arrives! If I could, I would...

Delaina said...

Dy,

You're a trip. I hope you're feeling well and that when that time comes, all goes well.

pilgrimama said...

I think we all understand the feeling. And yeah,we have those types of children too-that get out of bed and say"I'm huuuungry!" Do that yoga breathing and it may help a lot! Marcella

Staci Eastin said...

Didn't know you couldn't comment.

I know you've got a million things to do, but if you don't have the baby and you have time, please e-mail me: writingandliving@hotmail.com

Have a great day!

Staci

Claudia said...

Sorry. My anxiety is not to try to make you feel bad, I just want to hold Baby Emily before I go. *whine*

Gem said...

You're doing fine on my Haloscan comments. Thanks for missing me!