Sunday, January 1

Still Looking Ahead

10:59PM:

We're moving too quickly to stop and reflect. There simply isn't time, and for now that's okay. Zorak is working on the laundry room (have I mentioned that one's definition of "sexy" changes drastically while renovating?), and I am preparing to slap down more paint. The boys are ringing in the New Year in Dreamland, sound asleep in their beds. But we did take a short bit tonight to enjoy the uniqueness of "the last time" -

We all had cereal for supper and we recapped the year while we ate. Their biggest memories of the year are "Maddy and Emmy", our Wonderful Neighbors from Maryland, and the things we did with them; fishing here in Alabama; and "looking for a house" (which, according to them, we began doing the second we entered the state and didn't stop until, oh, last week or so - I'm guessin' it was more traumatic than we thought!)

We medicated the dog and Lysol'd every flat surface less than three feet from the floor.

The boys watched a movie while I dotted the walls with mud and Zorak tore out the old coat closet studs. How the boys can sleep through the roaring whine of a reciprocating saw and the muttering whine of me stumbling over random buckets is beyond me. They'll do well if they serve in the military, though.

1:13AM
HAPPY 2006, Everyone!

The baby got a little rambunctuous, so I laid down to give her some room. Promptly passed out (for the record, narcolepsy would absolutely suck to have as a permanent condition), and awoke feeling ridiculously refreshed and ready to go for this late at night. Ah, well, run with it, right?

So the flooring in the living room and part of the kitchen has been repainted. The dog has been taken out... repeatedly. Do you have any idea how tempting it is to spray Lysol on his butt before letting him back in the house? The boys are still sound asleep, and we've blown a bit of time just watching them sleep. So beautiful. We have pizzas in the oven and Zorak's hooking up the ice maker (because I'm eating my way through a bag a day -- how embarrassing -- but we're both thankful it's just ice and not bon-bons).

I realized just a little while ago that we completely forgot a Very Important Date this year. December 16th officially marked ten years together for Zorak and I. Our first whole decade. Of course, we forgot to get married once, and then again, then we postponed the wedding because we procrastinate too much. It ended up taking us a full two and a half years before we could manage to get everything lined up and remember to show up for our own wedding. (That'll test your faith in a relationship, lemme tell ya! "Uh, honey... weren't we supposed to get married this morning?" Yep, we must have been made for each other.) But we have always honored December 16th, because we recognized one another then, over chicken fried steak and coffee, and we knew this was it.

Was it ever. Ten years, fifteen moves, four children, several lost loved ones, many surprises, and a whole lot of dreaming and working and playing. Yes, this still is it. Sometimes it's nice to be so right...

...and wrong. Turns out there was a little room for stopping to reflect tonight.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

9 comments:

Needleroozer said...

"Spray lysol on his butt before we let him in the house" You had me laughing so hard at that one, everyone came running to see what it was.
Happy New Year! Happy Anniversary, too. It's 1:15, and we are just now tucking the kidlets in. Except for the harrowing drive home amidst all the party goers, we had a great time.
Gotta go- can't let this champagne buzz go to waste!;-)
LB

Laney said...

I have never heard the "forgot to get married" story! Is it archived? Where can I find that priceless gem? LOL!

hornblower said...

Wow - I just can't mesh this. In my mind you're "SuperPeople, able to organize anything"! And now you tell us you forgot your own wedding & mention the word procrastination? You guys are amazing - you've packed an awful lot into 10 years. Congratulations & best wishes for the years ahead.

Bob and Claire said...

Congratulations on 10 years and a beautiful family, Dy! I hope you have a great year, and that not much more of it involves worms! : ) I like your "recapping the year with the boys" idea. It would be interesting to hear what they remember and what made the biggest impressions on them!

P.S. The sidebar looks great--I am totally put to shame that you can even manage to do these little things that I never get around to, as well as all your home building! LOL!

J-Lynn said...

ROFL - I thought we were bad for forgetting until noon! ;-) I know you guys personally so the non-organized/procrastinating and hard worker thing totally makes sense to me. One of the reasons I loved you so much at first was because we both showed up an hour late to the zoo frantic that the other one was waiting...rofl And that was when we only had 3 kids combined - eek!

ROFLMBO@the lysol worms thing, I'm surprised you didn't. ;-)

And as for the ice, I'm jealous, I'm STILL going through a bag a day and he's not in there anymore...lol

Emily said...

Happy New Year and Congrats on 10 years!! Hug those kiddies for us and try not to give the dog a chemical burn. LOL!!!

~Em

Needleroozer said...

So now I am wondering if you actually COULD spray a puppy butt with Lysol. What's in that stuff, anyhow? I can picture the commercials where the primly dressed housewife in an immaculate home is spraying everything in site, the air and all. Hmmm.
LB

Donna Boucher said...

This is such a nice post Dy.
I love reading about the happy parts of marriage :o)

Thanks for sharing :o)

Donna

H said...

Okay, you have to tell the forgetting to get married story. You can't toss a comment off like that and leave it as a mystery. :)

Congratulations on the laundry room!