Wednesday, January 25

Well, That's Something

Yesterday, as I began to hang the umpteenth load of wash, the phone rang. I won't generally answer if I'm doing something important, but let's face it, this was laundry. I could use a little company as I pull, hang, pin, pull, hang, pin. It was a lady from church, calling to touch base. We talked for a bit, caught up on the children's lives, and then she said, "Did Zorak tell you about the shower?" *blink blink* Um, no...

The ladies at church are throwing me a baby shower next Wednesday! I was stunned. Perhaps I figured by the fourth child, people barely notice the weight gain, let alone throw you a shower. I don't know what I expected, but this was certainly a pleasant surprise. It's not even really a need for gifts, to be honest. Bring desserts! I am simply thrilled to (a) be thought of by these kind ladies, (b) be able to spend some time with the women of our church, and (c) be in a church that gets up and does things for its congregation. Little things. Things family does for family.

For years, I've been the one in the churches we attend who leads the Bible studies, organizes the food delivery for sick families, rallies the women to help clean house for new mamas. It's always fallen on me to get the phone chain started and follow up at the end. And when I haven't done it (like with my wedding, or my first three births), well, it hasn't gotten done. So. I've never had a shower thrown by one of my churches before. While this may be little, I have to say it touched me in a very big way. They even scheduled it for Wednesday evening because they didn't want to ask me to drive the hour (each way) an extra day during the week! I feel so humbled, and so very thankful.

The boys, Emily, cat-dog and I took a walk around the property yesterday. It was nice to get out and meander. I refer to Balto as cat-dog because it was much like taking a walk with a large cat on speed. He kept walking and pouncing and rolling over right in front of me. Nearly killed him a couple of times, but he still followed us happily back to the house, so I guess he knows it wasn't intentional. The boys thought it was great fun to show Emily the barn, the creek, and the meadow. John wore his batman costume. James made a puppet out of a dead root he'd found. Smidge held my hand and maneuvered the tufts of grass and clumpy bits like a champ. It was wild trying to get all of us shod and jacketed and out the door. But very, very worth it.

Today we'll do more wash, a little more snuggling and reading. We'll enjoy the sunshine and the puppy. We'll have an early supper with Zorak and then head up for Pioneer Club in the evening. The boys will bask in the joy that they feel at church, and I will sit and rock my sweet baby girl, and give thanks for all I've been blessed with.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

11 comments:

Jules said...

Oh Dy! I love this post! I belong to a church like that too- people really do think of each other as family and do the little things that actually show it's true. If you are not living close to your own family, it certainly is the next best thing.

Have fun tonight- rocking that sweet baby girl. And here's to many more romps through the woods with your brood in tow!

Treasured Grace said...

Awww, it feels so good to be thought of like that. I am so happy for you and Emily that you get to be spoiled for a night.
Have a great time.
SA

Thom said...

It is so awesome that you've found a church home that feels...well, like home.

You paint such a sweet picture of you and the little ones all heading out for a walk, batman costumes and stick puppets and gamboling puppies...that's just precious. It's so nice that you're writing all of these things down. I can only imagine how invaluable this blog will be to your little ones as they get older and read about the everyday joys and trials that their parents experienced to make the wonderful childhood that they enjoyed.
Brings a tear to the eye! :0)

Anonymous said...

It sounds like your little family is coming along nicely. Wish we could be there for your baby shower. Glad you have a church that does things like that,( especially, since you are away from family).

I can just picture your little group out walking around with little Smidge holding your hand and stepping high over the grass clumps, and you holding little Emily in your arms; while the other two boys are running all around with the puppy. Sounds like a painting.(Wow, I used a lot of "littles", didn't I!!)

We wish you much happiness!

Mama Metts

Melora said...

Sounds like you have a wonderful day planned! The logistics of getting all the little ones out the door must be daunting, but you are so capable that I'm sure it goes smoothly. I took a walk around the block with my two dc last night, and those "wandering" times together are just so nice (even though the 3 yr old brought a basket and stopped every two feet to pick up rocks, which I ended up carrying when the basket was too heavy for her).
I'm glad your church ladies are throwing you a shower. As you say, its not the "stuff," but the caring community that is so special.
Cordially,
Melora

Anniesue said...

That's something wonderful about a church family. I'm glad you found one that is so caring.

Bob and Claire said...

Dy, I know exactly what you mean about the showers and meals. For my 4th baby, we were in Ohio, and our church there got meals together, etc., and it was the first time anyone had ever brought meals to me! At first I didn't really want them ("I've always fine just fine on my own!"), but once I got over my pride, it was wonderful! What a blessing! And I just found out our Bible study here wants to give me a shower for this baby, and well, I am as amazed and thankful as you! Fun!

Dy said...

I'm so glad others have church homes like this one! That makes me feel very, very good. :-)

Mama Metts, there *are* a lot of littles here, so you didn't overuse it by any stretch! I think it's just perfect.

Kim said...

I wish all of the blog ladies could have thrown you a shower of some sort, although the logistics of that would have been a toughie!

Sometime when you have a minute (ha ha ha!) post come more pics, and include your doggie!

Laney said...

Another weigh in for a church that ministers!! All postpartum moms recieve meals for 2 weeks after they arrive home with their little one. Sometimes I joke that I would have another baby just for the meals!LOL

I love bringing food to people, it is such a blessing for me! I feel honored to be able to help!

J-Lynn said...

Oh Dy, this is the church you guys have always deserved. I'm so happy you've found it!

HUGS, hugs, and more hugs! I can just see all of you walking today...

Love you