Monday, January 30

The Day I Couldn't Get Warm

Argh! Last night the low wasn't too bad, so Zorak didn't start a fire, and I guess he didn't think it was very cold when he left for work this morning because he didn't start one then, either. I got up this morning and was freezing.

I tried to start a fire before breakast, but we didn't have enough smaller chunks to get a fire going, and it wasn't cold enough that I could justify using books. (Would it ever get cold enough to justify that??? Nah...) So add in that whole nursing issue, and I was one wet, cold, miserable woman today. Spent most of the day begging the boys to come sit with me under the blankets.

They didn't seem phased by the arctic temperatures (ok, the high was 58, but it didn't FEEL like 58...) They played outside, without jackets on and I shivvered uncontrollably every time I looked at them. I put on hot water and tried to coax them in to sit with me on the couch. Hot tea couldn't even lure them in. So then I just stood by the stove, pretending I was tending to the tea. Yeah, I'm pathetic sometimes.

When Zorak arrived home, I pounced on him, gave him a quick kiss, asked how his day was and would-you-please-set-the-house-on-fire-now? Er, I mean, would you start *A* fire now... you know, in the wood stove... but I'm thinking the dining table would put off a nice warm glow...

The fire's been blazing non-stop for the past five hours, but I never did get warm. Emily and I laid down around eight, buried under enough blankets to furnish the Lewis & Clark expedition AND the Donner party with warmth for their travels. As long as nobody moved, I was fine.

But now I'm up again. And Zorak just took off his shirt. He said he's burning up. Yet here I sit, toes numbed, back quivering, limbs trembling from the cold. Even my wool socks aren't staving off the cold. And what does he say? "Have you taken your temperature? You might be coming down with something."

Bite. Your. Tongue. Young man!! No, I CAN'T be coming down with something! Couldn't I just have particularly poor circulation? Temperature-related sensory issues? General neurosis? I CANNOT GET SICK!!!!!

I refuse.

Yeah.

So there.

And I'm tellin' ya, it's really. stinkin. cold in here.

So I'm going to finish my caramel cups and coffee and then crawl back in bed to snuggle with Emily. She'll understand. :-)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

P.S. I did take my temperature, and I don't have a fever, so I'm voting for circulation issues, perhaps? There's hope!

10 comments:

Amy said...

LOL, I can relate so well.

By loking at our gas bills over the years I can pinpoint which two winters I had newborns without looking at the dates. After sending my family into hypothermia for the last few months of pregnancy (it's Nov. can we turn the air conditioning off yet?) I then proceed to slow try to cook them. Thankfully (or maybe not looking at those gas bills) I didn't have to deal with a fire. I just had to walk own the hallway and bump up the nifty computer thermostat (hmmm 82 sounds good).

I hope your internal thermostat levels off soon.

Amy in Apex

Amy said...

I feel your pain, Dy. Around November I prepare for the chill that will last till late March. Of course, it hasn't been the case this year, what with our low-70's, sunny winter. But man I get cold. Bud comes in and starts stripping and punching the thermostat "it's like a blast furnace in here!"

Fluctuating hormone levels cannot help the matter I am sure. I hope you get warm soon!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I love reading your blog. I've been doing it for awhile now. I'm living my dream through you... heheh... I just thought I would let you know, you might be freezing because of the after baby hormones. I went through that. Your body is so used to being overheated, now, with no baby in there, your body has to level itself out (in my un-expert opinion).

Dy said...

OMG, thank you so much, guys! *der* I didn't even think of the hormones! lol.

Just wait for the postpartum hair loss - that'll be the acid test of our plumbing abilities, no? ;-)

Dy

Anonymous said...

I am *always* cold after a small person exits me ;) My first three were all July babies; I went from an internal temp no lower than 473 (really, I PROMISE!lol) to shivering and turning off the a/c on 98 degree days. With Leo, the October baby, we were having fairly warm, mild weather and dh would come home to find the windows steamed up, the kids in shorts and me turning up the thermostat and putting on more socks.

Sending you *your just adjusting to live alone in your skin again, NOT GETTING SICK* vibes!

Andie

Laney said...

I hate being cold! I don't think you are getting sick, the germs probably fear you after that blog entry!:-)

pilgrimama said...

LOL! You know what was funniest about this post?" Bite.Your. Tongue. Young man!" I thought I was the only woman who dared to call her husband that sometimes! Feeling the tone in which that was said (or thought)! Marcella

Pilot Mom said...

Oh my goodness! Just wait till you get into menopause! LOL!!!! I threatened my husband and son within an inch (ok, maybe a foot) of their lives if they even dared looked at the thermostat to WARM up the place!!! Those hormones...they'll get you every time! LOL!

BTW, I'm Claire's Aunt...nice to meet you, Dy! :)

Melora said...

Poor you! I hate it when the cold seems to get into my bones and I just can't get warm. Of course, as a wimpy Florida girl, I consider anything under 65 to be "freezing." Since your seem to be made of sterner stuff, I'm going to cast my vote with all the others who say "hormones." (Which is a much more Positive Thought than some nasty bug, anyway.)

By the way, I've thought about blogging about hs'ing and working and decided that it is a case of "less said the better." It's not a good combination, at least for me!
Be well!
Cordially,
Melora

Jules said...

Oh Dy! I hope you are warmer tomorrow! My first thought was also the fever thing- but then the hormone thing made perfect sense.

I hope it is just that and nothing more because as we all know, momma can't get sick- ever! ;)