Monday, January 16

Labor Check-In

Things are coming along. Little Miss Emily is sure taking her... erm, time about it. But we're feeling great and -- wow, oh wow! Zorak did an amazing job of cleaning the kitchen and living room! That was like a special birthing present in itself.

I rested most of the night, got up at five-thirty for a couple of hours to get some water and a snack. Then I curled up in bed and went back to sleep - until eleven-thirty! Contractions would wake me, but nothing I couldn't recover from and go back to sleep as soon as they were over.

You know, I've never labored before when I wasn't absolutely exhausted. With James' birth, we'd been up for four days straight, working, and we were out of town when labor began. With John's birth, well, I'm just a night-owl -- no excuse, there. With Smidge's birth, we'd just moved not a full week before and had been up all night unpacking. Doing it this way feels so... so... GOOD! :-D

TMI warning for men (may want to skip to the non-italicized part if you're squeamish or just plain weirded out by girl-talk)

Contractions are coming about five minutes apart, and feel pretty productive. They aren't lasting long, though, maybe 15-20 seconds. I'm anxious for things to pick up the pace a bit. Threw in some laundry, snacked on breakfast leftovers... roaming around looking for something to do. I might go down to the basement and see if I can find a book I haven't read yet (you'd think, considering 3/4 of what we own is books, that wouldn't be a difficult task, eh?) She's moved down quite a bit - I just showed James how much lower Em is, and he squeaked, "You've got RIBS!" This is. so. cool.

Anyway, not holding anything but my breath at the moment, but that's okay, it's been a pleasant morning and a great day so far. When I checked my email and saw all the warm, wonderful wishes, y'all just made my heart burst. Thank you. I'm going to print them out for Em's scrapbook (b/c as Jess says, someday we'll be 80 years old and have to do something with our time - so we can scrapbook then!)

Have a lovely Monday, and kiss those babies!
~Dy

8 comments:

Bob and Claire said...

Wow, I don't check in for a day, and this is what I miss!! I'm so excited for you, and I'm praying for a healthy delivery. I'm sure by the time you read this, you'll be holding your precious new baby! Breathe deeply now . . . . Hope everything goes super-smoothly! : )

The Queen said...

Oh, baby, Emily! We're so excited for your arrival :)

Donna Boucher said...

Oh this is so exciting...a blog update in the middle of labor! Dear Dy...you take the cake....
God bless you and your little one!

Come on out baby!

Needleroozer said...

I hope you saved that IM conversation we just had, because mine didn't save, and I lost all those good movie recs!
Hey baby Emily! We can'
t wait to meet you! Come out, come out!
Love and hugs to all, talk to you soon.
LB

H said...

Yay! How exciting! How wonderful that you're feeling *good* through all of this!

You'll be in my prayers today. I'll pray that Emily arrives safely and quickly, 'cause, you know, Zorak wants to start working on the boys' room preety soon.

Blessings!
Hillary

Amy said...

I'm so happy that things are going so well. What a great way to break in your forever home! Keep us updated if you can.

Lots of prayers here, Dy!

Emily said...

OF COURSE YOU ARAE BLOGGING WHILE HAVING A BABY!! OF COURSE!!

LOL!!

Take care! We will continue to keep all of you in our prayers.

~Em

Treasured Grace said...

Praying all goes well and Emily arrives safe and healthy. Keep us posted, lol, of course you will.
Sherri-Ann