Wednesday, January 11

My Christmas Gift

The pictures FINALLY LOADED!!!

Around mid-December, the boys spent a week helping Zorak with the plumbing work by cutting copper pipe for him. They did all the measuring and cutting, handled the set up and clean up. I double-measured for their lengths before cutting, but that was the only involvement Zorak or I had in the cutting project. The boys were so proud and so excited. I was, too, thinking that they were taking a great part in the building of our Forever Home. How cool. Even Smidge "helped" by holding the pipe with one boy while the other one cut. It was too cute.

But that's not the whole story...

You see, Zorak had A Plan. And a good one it was, too.

I had no idea.

He taught the boys to make a jig,

size it up,


use the drill,


and put all those skills together...


to make a surprise for Mama!


They were so proud of themselves.

And here are my beautiful windchimes, as seen from the front porch...


The neat thing (well, among many neat things) is that these are made using materials we've used in renovating the home - firewood from our first load of wood, pipe from all the plumbing, nails from the woodwork. In years to come, the copper will turn a beautiful shade of green, and the wood will grey, and they will still make beautiful music and remind me of the time we put into building our future together. I cried. And I smile everytime the wind blows.

19 comments:

Amy said...

*Sniff*

Those guys of yours are just wonderful. Such a precious gift.

Amy in Apex

Delaina said...

What's that beautiful sound on your front porch?

OH, Dy! That's so sweet. You made me tear up. Those guys of yours are truly special and what a wonderful gift.

Aryana spent the month before Christmas making me a scrapbook. She used cardstock, pictures I had printed a long time ago and made up stories to go with each page. She also used some of my ribbon and embellishments on the cover. After it was finished, she wrapped it and put it under the tree. When I unwrapped it, my eyes instantly swelled with tears. I could barely see the pages. Each page I turned, I sobbed even more. It's wonderful to have something handmade by them. As you will always cherish the windchime, I will always cherish that little scrapbook! Those are the best kind of Christmas gifts!

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Your boys are growing up so fast. I can't believe how much Smidge has changed in the face. They're so handsome.

Amy said...

That is just the most wonderful gift. You have a good group of guys there doncha?

(except that now my crafts look even more lame than ever...)

Sheila said...

Not only do you have some wonderful boys...but they sure have a loving and talented Daddy to teach them all these skills and a way to show appreciation for their mother.
You are doubly blessed!

Anonymous said...

What a great gift! Gorgeous kids and your Forever Home looks like it's in a lovely spot - I hope you like your front porch view as much as we love ours!

Needleroozer said...

Oh, they are beautiful! Both the chimes, and your 4 sweet boys! I love the look on your face in the photo where you are opening your gift. Wonderful!
Hugs today.
LB

Thom said...

Awwwww! Your boys are so gorgeous and the gift is just SO sweet!Bless their hearts (and Zorak's too!). Thanks for sharing it with us!!!

Donna Boucher said...

I love your homemade, handmade, fabulous chimes!

Laney said...

How wonderful!

What a great teacher those sweet boys have in their thoughtful dad!:-)

Amber said...

Oh, how wonderful!! Thanks for sharing the story and the pictures - I teared up just reading about it!

sisterscooby said...

In light of National Delurking Week, I am here to say hi there! I do read your blog and my life is always a little more entertaining and blessed because of it!

Sherri
aka Scooby at A Place to Grow

Staci Eastin said...

Awwww. What a wonderful, thoughtful gift.

Staci Eastin said...

Awwwww. What a wonderful, thoughtful gift.

Crissy said...

What a sweet gift.
That it will be part of your home decor long after they are grown and moved away (wait...don't cry!) is touching.

Do you realize you look like a slim version of Kate Winslett in that picture?

Crissy

L said...

Such a perfect gift!

What a guy, and what a great bunch of boys you have there.

J-Lynn said...

Oh Dy, you have to warn me to grab the kleenex for posts like this! What a wonderful, wonderful surprise!!! The boys are as beautiful as ever and omgoodness little Smidge has gotten so much older looking and I LOVE those chubby cheeks!

Hugs and good job Zorak and boys!

pilgrimama said...

Ahhh,the little moments that really bind a family together.It's the essence,truly.(And I'm glad to see another mom who doesn't mind letting her son wear pink slippers.)And I'm a teeny bit envious of your front porch view:) Marcella

Patty in WA or Rover said...

What they all said already.

Just terrific.

Jules said...

Sorry to echo what everyone else has said- but your boys are absolutely the cutest things ever! Very, very handsome indeed.

And I love the image of those windchimes turning grey and green with age, and you sitting on your porch reminiscing about these crazy days. What a great thing to look forward to! Maybe you'll have a grandbaby or two on your lap while you share your stories. ;)