Monday, January 9

Midwives and Drywall

Today was really quite nice. We stayed up far too late working last night, but it was worth it this morning. The place looks great. James saw the arch and the sheetrocked dining room from his bed when he awoke, and all we heard was an awestruck whisper, "WOW!" Yeah, that feels good.

Zorak has developed either empathy swelling, or tendonitis in his left ankle. I'm hoping it's sympathy pains, but fear it's not. So he has been ordered by Doctor Mom to sit his rear on the couch tonight, put his foot up, and r-e-l-a-x. The man hasn't stopped moving since we bought this place, and while he's developed the body of Adonis from it, let's face it - Adonis isn't much use if he's incapacitated! He agreed to "try", but then when he called this afternoon, he actually said that he "keeps daydreaming of wiring ideas". Who does that? *shaking head* The man is sick, I tell you. Sick! He needs some downtime and soon!

I've done four loads of wash today, and enjoyed every single one of them (and just to prove I can laugh at myself, as well, "who does that??"), but since I am lacking a proper clothesline (we have one, but couldn't find it in the dark), I've had to stop washing until the 14 gauge Romex that's strung all over the back porch has more room. It was fun, though! And Zorak is picking up creamer, bread and clothesline on his way home from work. Yay!

We had a wonderful day of pregnant women and small children, fresh banana muffins (I forgot the honey in the recipe, threw in some turbinado sugar, and have to say I liked them much better than the recipe we normally use - fluffier, but I don't know why), friends, and the joy of being in a nice-looking place. The boys played their butts off and had a wonderful time. If I can get them to bed early tonight, they'll sleep the way little boys are meant to sleep. They need that stuff.

On the baby front, she is nestled in and happy, in a good position, strong and active (yeah, ask me how I know the last two!) Everything looks good, and we can have another appointment next Monday -- or not, if we don't have time. The ladies are comfortable that all is fine and we're doing okay. I think they also know that I'd much rather stay home and work on the place than travel for another prenatal appointment to hear the baby's heartbeat and pee on a stick. Maybe I should've asked them to leave me a stick and I could just call in the results? I can't believe it's time.

Oh! And our shower curtain rod arrived today! We bought the Crescent Rod - you know, that hotels use now. (And yes, I know that's a ghastly amount to spend on a shower rod. I know. But I got stuck with the small tub, and darnit, sometimes it's okay to splurge. It still cost less than the tub we wanted.) Anyway, we just ordered it the end of last week - that was FAST!! We're going to put it up tonight and spend the whole water heater's worth of hot water just trading spaces in the shower, laughing gleefully that nobody has to brush up against the cold curtain in passing! WOOHOO! (It's the small things that make a marriage happy, you know.)

I hope you're having a wonderful day, enjoying your families and your homes.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

12 comments:

Laney said...

I can't believe how much work you guys have done! You deserve a hearty pat on the back!

Love the shower rod!

Thom said...

It is so nice to come over here and read about all of the awesome stuff you guys are accomplishing! Good for you!! :0)

Bob and Claire said...

Oooohh, I love those crescent shower curtain rods in hotels. They make such a difference! Excellent choice! : )

pilgrimama said...

I think you deserved this day!

Amber said...

Sounds lovely, and I'm glad to hear that all is going so well. I still can't believe just how much you all have done in such a short amount of time!

And believe me, I can understand about being excited about a washing machine. I remember when we first got ours - that was a happy day indeed!

J-Lynn said...

Can you share a picture of the bathroom at least? I've been so patient...LOL

That curtain is awesome! Geo and I fight over who is going to brush against the cold curtain and who's going to brush against the wall. That rod would save a lot of shower wrestling...LOL

You did so good Dy and so did Charles, (and the boys too!) I'm beaming with pride for you guys!

BTW, who dreams of wiring? An engineer of course! Who dreams of laundry? A housewife m'dear. We've become the definition of stereotypes...rofl

HUGS

Needleroozer said...

I don't know, that shower curtain seems reasonably priced to me. I absolutely loathe the glass doors we have on our tub- they are hard to clean, and cold on the tushy too.
At least you have a hunny who likes to shower together!!
Wanted to tell you I have msn IM as well, haven't used it yet, but we could chat that way sometime.
LB

Gem said...

Wow, that is some curtain rod, lol! A bit more than my $5 tension rod that's in our shower, but I know that cold wall/cold curtain debate. In fact, I won't do double showers until we have a double shower head. Who wants to be the person stuck NOT in the spray? Love the stories, can't wait to see the pictures. Oh, wait, that did't sound too good in context of the shower, did it? I mean of the house of course! Hubby's on double shifts at the Detroit Auto Show, so the basement is on hiatus. Right now we have a demolished fireplace sprawled all over the room! Sometimes I wish we had to live down there so we'd have some impetus to get it done. Oh, well. We can't all be Dy and Zorak! ;op

Dy said...

LOL Gem, that's what I thought, too - I don't think I've *ever* spent more than five bucks for a curtain rod.

LB, hook me up and we'll chat! I would love that! :-)

Lynnette, welcome to the blogworld! YAY! I love reading your comments at Melissa's and am glad you've come to visit.

I was just telling LB the other day that I should have just posted pics from the beginning, b/c now I go through them and try to pick some... and I get totally overwhelmed. I don't know where to start. LOL. Sorry. I'll work on that.

Have a great day, y'all!
Dy

Sheila said...

You know I check everyday to see if there is baby news. I had such crazy pregnancies that I kind of panic everytime I think of your home birth. (for myself only. I have great faith in you.)
Your pregnancy seems so relaxing and peaceful. I'm envious.
I love the shower rod. My parents used to have a claw foot tup with abig oval curtain, bigger than the tub. It made the shower so much bigger.

Spinneretta said...

See, I was expecting something MUCH more expensive for the shower rod... that's not too shabby for something that avoids having a wet curtain sticking to you!
And on the photo front... start at the beginning... post three pictures a day.
By the time Emily comes, we might be as far along as getting a picture of her ;)
Assuming she obeys the command to come late ;)

Delaina said...

Dy,

I love the shower curtain rod! What a great idea. We have a walk in shower with a stoop in our master. But, I am thinking about how nifty that would be in the other two bathrooms. Wouldn't the family and friends love us for that? The price isn't too bad either.

I'm so glad that Emily is doing well. I'm praying that when it's time, your delivery will will go very well. I just can't wait to see those precious photos of her.

Please do post some pictures of the house! We would all love to see them.

And, I do hope to hear from you soon. I don't have any way of getting in touch with you except your blog. Which I love coming here, don't get me wrong. ;~P I just really miss chattin' with you. I've learned so much from our conversations! You have no idea how much I've learned.