Wednesday, April 19

You'd Think I'd Be Elated

I know there are sleep-deprived mothers the world over who would give body parts for this. I thought I was one of them.

Miss Emily went to sleep last night at eleven. I laid her in the swing, thinking she'd be back up in a couple of hours and we'd head to bed. I went to bed at one, thinking I'd just lie down for a bit until she awoke around two to eat.

When I awoke this morning at 7:30, James was up. And I was still alone in bed. "James, is Emily sleeping?" He said she was.

Panic gripped my heart. I had to stiffle my next question ("Is she... blue?") and instead bolted down the hallway to the living room.

There she was, in the swing. She wasn't blue. But she wasn't awake, either. So I did what any mother would do.

I poked her.

She moved. And my body suddenly slumped like bad concrete.

I hate moments of fear like that. But I am so very thankful it was just a moment.

It's now nine o'clock and she just awoke. You wouldn't believe how hungry this child was!

Kiss those babies - cuddle them, listen to them, love on them.
~Dy

9 comments:

Laney said...

Yikes! Been there, done that. Few other things can scare the life out of a mother than a child sleeping past the crack of dawn!

Roll with the punches today!:-)

Melora said...

Awww. All that lovely rest, wiped out by a few moments of heart-stopping fear. Maybe she is planning to start the happy habit of sleeping through the night, though?
Cordially,
Melora

Kim said...

I did that lots of times. The first time I woke up at 7:30 and Virginia was still asleep, I thought I'd vomit.

She must have a sleepy girl.

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Dy, did anyone ever suggest that you could go to bed earlier than 1am? ;) I don't know how you stay up so late with all you do! I fall apart if I'm not in bed by 10pm. I'm glad Emily slept so long. May it become a happy habit!

Anonymous said...

Sarah did the same thing this morning...slept late that is. I went to check on her a couple of times, and she was fine. I know just what you went through though.
Maybe it's a three month thing.
mere

The Queen said...

If Max (age 9) still sleeps too late I've been known to go in and put my hand on his back. If you put your hand on the back of a sleeping child, they have a reflex that causes them to take a deep breath. Doesn't wake them, but you get to know that ALL IS WELL.

Anonymous said...

I had four babies and if any of them slept longer than normal I would be gripped with that same fear. Now that my baby is 6 its a little easier!

Emily said...

I think no matter how many children you have or how old they get a mother will always check to see if they're breathing when they sleep.
Yea, for the sleep! Hope it sticks and the fear passes ;)

~Em

Anonymous said...

What?! Your baby is sleeping through the night at 12 weeks, and you didn't put her on an artificial schedule? You don't wake her up to feed her during the day? Will wonders never cease!!!!

Just kidding. I thought when my oldest did that, it was due to my superior GKGW training. Then when it didn't work on my middle child, I was very confused. My 2 1/2 yo still isn't sleeping through the night (he's had a lot of ear and asthma trouble), and that's OK. Those 3am cuddles are the best!!!