Friday, April 7

10:30 and all's well

Hey there. Well, the entire afternoon was wonderfully windy (got the linens washed!) and clear. We had a great afternoon, for the most part.

The HVAC guy came - he seemed okay, but he stayed too long and then lost us when he insisted that they do ALL the labor because "you don't have the tools to do the things that need to be done". Tools? Yes, tools. You know, to sweat copper pipe together and to make the vent holes. Uh-huh. And the vent you saw... the one we told you we built? The fact that we'd run new pipe - copper, black iron and PEX... and had showed that to you. Totally lost on ya, there, buddy? No, thanks. If he can't listen to something as simple as what we are capable of and what we aren't (for instance, we don't have the means to charge the system, and we are willing to pay for that, but we aren't willing to pay for one of his guys to come cut a hole in our roof when we can do it ourselves for far less), then we really don't want to be doing business with him. Anyway, he realized the sale had gone off the game plan when he asked us to let his crew cut the vent in the bathroom because we don't know what we're doing and will mess up that floor... you know, the one we laid. Yeah, brilliant. Fortunately, that was only our first quote.

We didn't hide eggs, as the boys spent the majority of the afternoon down at the creek. James caught a red wasp. *Sigh* They caught a cricket and a couple of moths. Smidge caught a piece of tree bark and three 16 penny nails. He was quite proud.

We're under a tornado watch right now. The Powers That Be have told us to get to our "safe spot" now, but that would be, theoretically, the basement... and in case I haven't mentioned it, we haven't done anything to the basement yet... I think I'd rather take my chances with the tornado than with a flash flood from the waterfall, or the missing sill plates finally collapsing down there. We'll stay put, though, and keep an ear on the radio. I'll blog later w/ an update. For now, though, the lightning is a little close for my comfort, so I'm getting off the computer!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

3 comments:

Laney said...

ROFL!! Don't you just feel like grabbing that guys face and saying, Listen.To.Me!!!

I was thinking about you guys with the tornadoes, be safe!!

Melora said...

I hope you had a safe night and all is well this morning! I've been wondering about basements & whether we should be looking for a house that has one, for tornado safety?
I feel a little sorry for the HVAC guy -- you are Not typical customers, and how can they send you a bill for thousands of dollars if all they do is charge the system?
Cordially,
Melora

J-Lynn said...

I hate when professional people talk down to me! No, I didn't go to school for your job like you did BUT I did my research and am capable of doing a good job. If you'd like to offer constructive critism or advice I'd LOVE to hear it but DO NOT TELL ME I'm not capable of it!!! Grrrr

This is why finding a DR was so hard for me...LOL

Anyway, hope the next guy is more open minded and less arrogant! Hope you guys are safe through that terrible storm. Remember it came through here the night before.

Sorry I didn't call you back last night. Hastings decided to forgive my late account (all $90!) and so I went movie happy! LOL

Hugs,
Jess