Friday, April 7

This'll change your plans in a hurry:

COLBERT-CULLMAN-DE KALB-FRANKLIN AL- FRANKLIN TN-JACKSON-LAUDERDALE- LAWRENCE-LIMESTONE-LINCOLN-MADISON- MARSHALL-MOORE-MORGAN- 345 AM CDT FRI APR 7 2006
...SIGNIFICANT SEVERE WEATHER OUTBREAK LIKELY THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH TONIGHT...

A POTENT STORM SYSTEM MOVING OUT OF THE GREAT PLAINS...COMBINED WITH WARM UNSTABLE AIR AND VERY STRONG WINDS AND WIND SHEAR ALOFT...WILL SET THE STAGE FOR A POTENTIALLY SIGNIFICANT SEVERE WEATHER EVENT STARTING THIS AFTERNOON...AND CONTINUING THROUGH TONIGHT.

SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS WILL BEGIN TO DEVELOP DURING THE EARLY AFTERNOON HOURS...WITH EXPLOSIVE THUNDERSTORM DEVELOPMENT EXPECTED TO CONTINUE WELL INTO THE EVENING. THE GREATEST THREAT OF SEVERE WEATHER WILL OCCUR BETWEEN 3 AND 10 PM...AS SOME OF THESE STORMS BECOME SUPERCELLS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING LARGE HAIL...DAMAGING WINDS AND POSSIBLE STRONG TORNADOES.

THESE SUPERCELL STORMS WILL EVENTUALLY CONSOLIDATE INTO A LINE OF STRONG TO SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS BY LATE TONIGHT. THIS LINE OF STORMS WILL MAINTAIN THE THREAT OF DAMAGING WIND GUSTS AND LARGE HAIL THROUGH THE OVERNIGHT HOURS. IN ADDITION...CONTINUOUS DEVELOPMENT OF THUNDERSTORMS OVER THE SAME AREAS WILL BRING A THREAT OF HEAVY RAINFALL AND POSSIBLE FLASH FLOODING FROM LATE THIS EVENING INTO THE OVERNIGHT HOURS.


I love the verbiage they use: unstable, explosive, potentially significant. This is not just any ol' storm system, it's a "potent" one! And "supercells" - storms with capes!

The coordinator of our homeschool group called this morning to cancel the party. She said the public schools will be closing at one today so that everybody can get home and get off the road before the bulk of the storm hits. I guess several of us are coming in from outlying towns and they decided it's not worth the risk. I do appreciate that. The party's been moved to Monday, which is supposed to be exquisite. I don't think we'll be able to go, as the family will be here then, but that's okay. There will be other get-togethers.

So, while I'm eyeballing a suspect tree in the yard and hoping it's not all that bad, I'm also ashamedly relieved that we don't have to go anywhere and I can do some prep work on the windows (not going to paint in this weather - it'd never dry). The boys will be bummed, but hey, I've got 48 plastic eggs and nowhere to go. Maybe we'll hide them around the house or make a scavenger hunt out of it.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

7 comments:

Emily said...

I saw this yesterday and was thinking of you guys! Stay safe!

~Em

Amy said...

You're not procrastinating are you? Because you sure have blogged alot in just 24 hours. Don't ask me why this crossed my mind.

My dirty little secret: I'm almost *always* relieved when something gets cancelled and we get to stay home. It always sounds good when we plan something, but then I'd just rather be home. Especially if everyone would just come here.

Needleroozer said...

An impromtu egg hunt sounds good to me. Too bad we aren't closer, I have never known two kids who liked egg hunts more than my kids. They would keep yours busy for hours and hours, allowing us to get all sorts of work done on the house, and still have time for a cup of tea and some baby snuggling.
I wonder if your storm front is related at all to the fact that there is a 90% chance of rain predicted for tomorrow?
LB

Thom said...

We had some scaryish weather forecast here a few days ago---turned out the forecast was much more frightening than the actual weather event itself. So, hopefully you'll just get a few spring showers, like we did. I'll say a prayer for you, all the same!

Staci Eastin said...

So, since you're home, you have plenty of time to post those "after" pictures. Huh? Huh? Am I right? :o)

Brandie said...

Stay safe! I hat weather like that so just reading about it makes my heart beat a bit faster!
Anyway, I hope you did do an egg hunt around there and that the potent storm missed you!

The Queen said...

Post at 10:30 to tell us you're all okay. I was blissfully ignorant and now I'm all worried about you.