Sunday, April 23

Kicky Klothing

(Yes, I'm desperate for a title. Shush.)

Well, after the all-encompassing joy that is purchasing certain nursing garments that have not already seen three previous children, I've been on a high for a month. Who'd have thought it? Truthfully, I hate shopping for clothes. This would probably explain why most of my sweaters are the ones my mother bought for me while I was in high school, or the ones she passed down to me when she bought new sweaters for herself. It also explains why I just wear Zorak's shirts most of the time, too. So, if you're getting an image of a woman who dresses mainly in men's shirts and old lady's sweaters, well, you're pretty right-on, then.

Now factor in the fact that I have been pregnant, or recovering from being pregnant for the past eight years and... ahhh, that's lovely, isn't it?

But no more! I'm in my 30's, and those jokes about trading the wife in for two sixteen year-olds just. aren't. funny. anymore. Plus, summer here is simply miserable, and while flannel is a wonderful choice for winter, it doesn't do much for the sweltering heat of a Southern Summer.

So this week, I decided to get wild and try to freshen up the wardrobe a bit. Now that most of the heavy construction work is over with, I can retire my sensible work boots (or at least stop wearing them to church). I can also stop wearing Zorak's jeans (OK, that's probably not going to happen - by the time I inherit them, they're so soft and comfy... but it wouldn't hurt to cut down on their public appearances, either.) If I must be completely honest, I'm probably just a few bad habits away from kaftans and soft rollers. And that's not fair to Zorak, who has held up way better, and looks sexier now than he did that magical night in the bar in Cruces.

Well, I did pick up a few things, and it was rather fun. There are, thankfully, some styles out there this season that aren't painfully offensive and/or involving tassels. Got some pants that actually fit without me having to suck it in. I'm not a svelte size four, but then, I could not eat for five years and my bone mass alone still wouldn't fit into a size four. I'm back to pre-pregnancy size, though, and that feels good. It's in the same basic ballpark, anyway. The pants are cute. They're cool. They are some strange space material that will dry quickly. They have many pockets, and fortunately pockets are semi-cool right now (because I do love pockets). And they look good. In all, this is a huge "score" on my end.

And I don't know who tipped off the tank top makers, but THANK YOU, WHOEVER YOU ARE, for mentioning that a built-in bra might mercifully cut down on the number of exposed undergarments we are subjected to each day. You have also found a new supply of customers - namely, those of us who would rather continue wilting under the summer sun in our husbands' long sleeve flannels than walk about with our bra straps showing. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart. This is the first spaghetti strap tank I've owned since I was about five. It feels a little awkward, but it's comfy, and I didn't wilt today. I may yet learn the survival tips of the South...

It was time to cut the adventure short, however, when I found myself inexplicably drawn to what I can only describe as The Ugliest Pants I Have EVER Seen. In my life. They are hideous. Yet they made me smile and I kept going back to them. I'm hesitant to share this, but I suppose after the Vanilla Ice confession, I can't fall any lower on the coolfactor. Have you seen the camo capri pants with the sequin waistbands? Yeah, camo and sequins in a kicky little capri style. Re-read that, and tell, me please, where would one wear these? Why would one wear these? And can you see now why I had to leave the store? It's been two days, and thinking about them still makes me smile. So I haven't been back. I'm staying home until I come to my senses (or can come up with someplace I could actually wear these - and then, once it's been justified, I'm buyin' 'em!) Of course, that's when Zorak will begin tallying up the possible combinations: two 16 year olds now or wait a few months and get a 17yo... hmmm...

Not funny.

I'm not going back. I'll just stay here and see if my new top goes well with Zorak's old jeans.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

7 comments:

J-Lynn said...

ROFL as long as you don't pair them with a sequin top I think you'll be fine! You'll be smiling anyway..hehe

silvermine said...

I only wish they made those built-in-bra tanks for the, uh, more chesty of us. I tried one once that was supposed to be big enough, but it just sort of squished them all unpleasantly together and left most of my skin hanging out! :(

I'm pregnant, and desperate for cool clothes for the summer. I'm due in August... I can't imagine how much "fun" it will be to be 9 months pregnant (or having those post-pregnancy nursing hot flashes!!) when it's 100 degrees outside!
But, alas, "the girls" are already size
36DD... I can't imgaine what will happen when my milk comes in!

Laney said...

Here's my problem with the built-in bras thingees... I am so flat (a AA, thankyouverymuch) that they do nothing but show my flatness and the thick elastic strap that runs along the bottom. Classy. Truly.

Alas, Kohl's has the tank for me. So you see, *I* am the girl with the bra strap hanging out. But I ask you, which is worse? Seeing the occasional bra strap or seeing elastic wrapping around my chest, not holding anything up, mind you, just a sittin' there.

Glad you got some new duds!

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

ROFL! Oh. my. goodness. Dy, if you cave and go back to buy them, please, post a pic so the rest of us can smile, too. :D

I have those moments, too, where I have to fight myself not to buy something completely... well, you know. :) It's a result of all the advertising and propaganda that we're subjected to on a daily basis. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

Jules said...

LOL!! I love those camo capri's too but cannot rationalize buying them. They are so darn cute but for somebody who lives in jeans and white t-shirts- (me) it may be a little over the edge. ;)

I know what you mean about being traded in for two sixteens- Derick teases me about this all the time- or actually he used to tease me- until I started saying "eh- easy come, easy go". ;)

And I have to agree with you on the built-in-bra tanks. Looovvvve those!! They are great in the heat of summer. I hope to be able to fit into mine relatively soon after the babe comes- with the added bonus of those voluptuous nursing breasts! ;)

I am glad you got to go shopping and spruce up your wardrobe a bit! It sounds like fun!

Bob and Claire said...

LOL--I'm still wearing shirts of mine from high school and old shirts of Bob's. Are you saying I'm not a hip young chick?! LOL! I was actually really down in the dumps around Easter because I am light years away from fitting into non-maternity clothes right now, and I needed something I could nurse in, so I ended up wearing khaki maternity capris and a big shirt FOR EASTER! ACK! But because I'm really not too fashion-conscious, I got over it. : ) I've been pregnant or nursing for 9 years, so I know where you are at. But I am pretty impressed that you are back to pre-pregnancy size! Gives me hope . . . LOL!

Amber said...

Those pants sound great - I bet my sister would love them. Come to think of it, she probably already has them. :-) I'm more of a plain gal myself, but just the thought of them makes me smile. I loved those tank tops with the built in bra last summer when I was pregnant - I had three that I just lived in from about July until Sept. I wish they didn't look so odd with nursing pads - I'll really miss them this summer, but going without is not an option for me!

I really need to do some clothes shopping too, but I am just dreading it. I desperately need a couple decent looking short-sleeved tops I can wear to church that I can also nurse in. I loathe going to buy clothes though - almost everything in my closet was either a gift from my mother or something I happened to see when buying children's clothes. I am envious that you're back to your pre-pregnancy size - I still have another 7 lbs and 2 sizes to go. Somehow I don't think those 7 lbs are going to get me down those two sizes - things seem to be distributed a little differently right now. Oh well, it'll happen! (I hope!!)