Monday, April 3

Good Monday Morning!

It's a glorious day. We're gonna be busy. Not terribly interesting, that's for sure. And while I'd love to start posting the after pictures, we're wiring the foyer today and hanging sheetrock when Zorak gets home. So, nothing today. Our wonderful Gram and lovely Aunts will be here on Saturday, and we have a ton to do between now and then.

But yes, as y'all can see, it was gross. One of those things, though, where all the frustration and angst over the house taking two and a half months to close turned out to be a blessing. When we first looked at it and put in our offer, there was no visible mold. It was a little dank and stinky, but we attributed that to it having been empty and closed up all summer. If we'd have closed on it in August, like we wanted to, we may not have known what was lurking beneath. Thankfully, by October, it had sprouted and so we knew what it would need done. I'm glad we had our eyes wide open, that's for sure! And, knowing what we were getting in to, we've been able to take it in stride.

Yes, Hypatia, the carpet's not taupe. Even our wonderful realtor, who had it professionally cleaned twice for us, thought it was taupe. It wasn't until we pulled up the threshold to take out the carpet (this was maybe two weeks into the tear-out) that we discovered this:


That white stripe down the middle there is where the threshold had covered the carpet. Anywhere it was exposed, it was that brown color. We had the willies for a week. And ALL of the carpet came out that afternoon!

But, I don't want to leave you hanging like that. This is why we bought the property:






The structure we live in is just a shell of the one we bought, but we couldn't have designed a better spot for it. The sun comes up over the meadow behind us and bathes the entire place in a gentle, glittery gold. There are flowers everywhere you look - purples and pinks, whites and yellows. The creek is a constant source of adventure for the boys. The barn awaits, silent and large, for some attention, but it's sturdy and strong and will be beautiful when we get to it. The swingset in the yard and the soccer ball up in the upper meadow make me smile. The boys' laughter and the time we spent together, even just sitting on the porch watching the birds and squirrells... it's all worth it.

And now, as if conjured up by thoughts, all four of them are up. It's time to get to work!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

8 comments:

Amy said...

EGADS! That carpet was nasty. But your home is beautiful, truly beautiful. I can't wait to see the after pics.

I can't say I've ever seen so much woodgrain paneling in one place. Ever.

You guys are amazing.

Bob and Claire said...

Well, your lot is sure exactly what I'd love to have someday (as I send out all my boys to play in our tiny suburban yard!). The before pictures were amazing--I'm hoping Bob will swing a TDY down your way sometime so we can see the miraculous transformation in person! You know, looking at the pictures I can see the potential too--but Bob and I simply do not have the skills to put it all together. Wow.

Melora said...

The property, both as pictured and as you describe it, is lovely. What a wonderful place to grow up!

Randi said...

Kids + Property = Wonderful times!

We have about 1 1/2 acres and my boys love it in the summer. They have a small fort where they love to dig holes and do "guy" stuff--they even made their own zipline last summer (without telling us, which is another story altogether!)

Enjoy it all--even all the work that comes with it!

Emily said...

Yes, I'd say you all are people with vision! LOL!! Can't wait to see the after pictures! The property looks beautiful and such a perfect place for the little guys (and gal)!!

~Em

uniquematerial said...

That carpet! Scary!

I'm glad you got rid of it; I bet you are, too. Eww, eww, eww....

melissa said...

You got it right, girl! I love it! You have chosen the PERFECT plce for childhood bliss. Won't it be wonderful to kick back and relax for a bit to enjoy your company and the fruits of your hard labor! Y'all are doing just great!

J-Lynn said...

That property is beautiful Dy. Right from my dreams! I'd love to see it in the morning glow if that's possible to capture in picture.

I say you pay Thom to come out and take your family photo on the property! ;-) Just gorgeous, I can't wait to see it one day!

And I'll wait patiently for the after photos. I'm having fun in suspense...hehe But I can't wait to see all your hard work paid off in pictures!

Have a great time with the aunts & Gram... Oh and I'm simply amazed there's a carpet more gross than mine! LOL