Monday, April 24

Mundane Monday

Today was the kind of good that I never thought I would appreciate. Quiet, uneventful, almost serene. Hornblower caught herself admiring hedges while they were looking for a house and wondered what had happened to her. If I could have stopped nodding my head and chuckling in recognition, I'd have offered sympathy. Days where lessons are done, the wash gets put away, and the highlight of the day is watching the two older boys cheer on the Smidge when he hits the ball -- man, those are sweet! Those are the days I live for.

I figured out this morning how to get the casings off the windows with a minimum of damage. This was my second attempt, as my first try the other day resulted in a horrible tearing sound and bits of drywall tumbling down upon my head. I quickly walked away, hid the pry bar, and begged Zorak for help. But he forgot, and I really want to paint the windows. So today I spent an hour trying to figure out where I'd hidden the pry bar and then got to it. Yay. One down... many more to go.

With the back yard all shaven and looking mighty non-threatening, the boys played out there most of the day. Miss Emily even hung out there with us. We blew bubbles. Smidge tried to eat them. Not Balto, Smidge. *sigh* We spent H-O-U-R-S playing baseball. I did nearly ALL the wash. We came in to eat and do lessons, but that was about it. We'd have done lessons outside, too, if we had somewhere to sit where the dog couldn't reach us. Fortunately, Aunt B sent us two (TWO!) picnic tables. They are sitting on the front porch, awaiting assembly, and once we have them up, I imagine we'll do at least some of our schooling outside. It's too nice not to!

Tomorrow we have to slip into town to return library books before the Tuesday Lady starts making her calls. It seems nobody else in town is ever aware that they have overdue books without rushing right down to rectify the situation. I don't think the Tuesday Lady likes us. Hopefully we'll get more done on the windows and the yard, and will enjoy one another like we did today. Good, good stuff.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

5 comments:

Melora said...

Are window casings something I would have to learn about if I ever bought an old house? They sound terrifying.

It sounds like a lovely day to me.
Cordially,
Melora

Dy said...

Well, they're more complex than, say, having someone else come do it. But far less intimidating than, oh, sausage casings. (Does that help?) You can always so what I do - if I can't figure something out through reading and fiddling with it, I take pictures and take those to a shop, where we engage in a pantomime sort of relay involving a lot of pointing and head-tilting. The employees are usually great sports about it. :-)

Dy

Amber said...

Ah, sounds like a lovely day. I want a yard :-) I'm so glad to hear that you all are settling in so well.

I can do sausage casings, so I guess window casings might be in my future! *grin*

J-Lynn said...

Oooooooh what a fun day! Thanks for the chat today btw - sorry if I was sort of out of it, I never do well on the phone in public...lol But the chat was great. :-)

What a cool lady Aunt B is! What a perfect country housewarming gift! She's great...

HUGS

Dy said...

Hey Shannon! We do have Diatomaceous earth - I love that stuff. But it won't work well outside here b/c it doesn't do the trick if it gets wet - so we'd have to reapply every time it rained. It's going in the basement, though, and in all the usual crannies and such. I had no idea you could put it in the carpet - very good to know! Thanks!!

Jess, yes Aunt B is very cool. And very sweet. I was so tickled to learn she'd sent two, and she said, "Well you guys take up one whole table by yourselves!" LOL! She's right. So that was a nice added treat. :-)

Dy