Wednesday, April 26

Wild Wednesdays!

Can I admit here that I caved? I did. And I'm not ashamed to admit it, either. Today, I gave in to our eldest child's deep-seated reverence for lists and our second-in-line's love of treasure maps, and greeted them this morning with to-do lists, tailored for their individual affinities. This goes against my grain so very much. I love lists, but don't like to be held accountable to someone else's lists. And giving James an official-looking list tends to be akin to giving Churchill a microphone and a captive audience. And while I do enjoy, in theory, all the adventure of a treasure hunt, I much prefer to enjoy watching from a significant distance away - as in, I didn't have to draw or bury anything. My kind of craft is the kind someone else puts together.

But this morning, I thought, "What the he---- well, okay, let's try this." It couldn't have gone downhill from yesterday, right? Right.

John's list had a rebus look to it. The thought being this would be a painless way to integrate reading skills with a little anal retentive domestic conditioning. It's a good thing he can interpret my artwork, or the dog may not have had any food today!

James was a bit perturbed by the inaccuracy of his list -- MOM! You didn't put 'take garlic tablets' on here! -- but after the second cup of coffee my brain caught up with his mouth and I was able to convince him that it was a "skeleton list" - one he was supposed to flesh out on his own, using the information he had.

Both boys were thrilled. They had a game plan. They had check boxes to fill. They had a course set and off they went!

Mom was thrilled. I did not have to remind them to get dressed before they began haggling over trains. I did not have to remind them to get dressed before they ran outside to roll in the mud. I did not even have to remind them to get dressed before we left for the library. Why? Because that was the first thing on the list and my frighteningly visual achievers HAD to get dressed to put the glorious check mark beside that box and move on!

We loaded into the Suburban a little after eleven, with all the library books loaded, all our lessons done except for copywork and math (copywork we skipped and math we did in the car on our way to town). The house was tidy with dishes put away, beds made, bathroom picked up. The dog had gorged himself on ants and dog food and had collapsed in a happy heap under a shade tree. Everyone had on shoes. And John, as he combed the list for the next thing to do, shouted, "WOW, Mom! We've accomplished SO MUCH today! I feel great!" Mission accomplished. (Check that box off! he he)

Miss Joy, our wonderful Wednesday Librarian, was there to greet us with her cheerful hospitality. We need to bake her something. She is such a dear. Of course, we left with a huge stack of books, and the boys all gave her hugs on the way out. How can you not fall in love with the hugging librarian?

We splurged on Mexican buffet with Zorak for lunch, then decided to walk it off at the Botanical Gardens before church. (Didn't help - I still had a heck of a time staying awake tonight. Thankfully, Smidge kept feeding me banana chips when he noticed my head drooping. He definitely earned his keep!)

Grey, rainy, breezy days are great days to spend at the Gardens! The place is EMPTY. The drizzle keeps the clover pollen out of James' eyes. The cool temps keep Miss Emily from overheating in the sling. We took our time, explored the compost bins (the boys now want an earthworm compost box), savored the herb garden (it is fantastic!) Nobody wanted to head back when it was time, but that's a good thing, I think. It leaves them wanting to explore again and learn more.

There is a lot to explore and learn, every day. This is what we want, and I'm learning how to make it happen more regularly. (Not 100% of the time, as evidenced by yesterday, but more often than not, and for that, I'm glad.) What a true joy!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

4 comments:

L said...

Well done! I am so going to steal, er, BORROW that idea!

It might even work on Jorge.

Anonymous said...

List-making must be some sort of boy thing. As I was reading your post, I kid you not, my 10 yo son informed me that he had made a chore list for himself and put it on a clipboard in his room!!

Amy said...

I so understand the love of the list! I'm glad they enjoyed it and rose to the occasion.

Of course, now they're going to want a list every day. How will you handle that?

When children are dressed and ready to get into the car without being told, then that's a red-letter day in my book!

Laney said...

*Raises hand sheepishly*
Umm, I like lists and so do my boys. There, I said it.LOL

I like the list because sometimes the boys will actually come up here and begin schoolwork all on their own. The list helps to give them some direction. :-)