Wednesday, April 19

A little schoolin', a little lovin', a lot of livin'...

After this morning's rude awakening, I've decided caffeine is a much preferred method of easing into the day. Today was not your banner day (it was hot and muggy and we were all quite miserable in the house), but it wasn't nearly as roughly paced as yesterday (small yay). We did accomplish quite a bit (bigger yay). Mostly, though, it was a good day with the boys (saved the biggest yay for this part).

Yesterday was a day that found me begging them to please, please, try - just try - to understand their native tongue. Today, they tried. It didn't always work, but bless 'em, they did try. What a joy that is! One day, they will master both speaking and comprehending english. What a day that will be. (Of course, by then, they will be fathers, so I'll have the added delight of watching them beg their children in a similar fashion. Oh, pop the corn and break out the beer, folks - this is gonna be great!) In the meantime, this repetition is this repetition is this repetition is my job.

The boys are doing wonderfully with school. They're enjoying copywork in the mornings. John is so proud of what he can do, and I have discovered that if I ask him to do only a portion of a sentence, he will gladly do the entire sentence. (Conversely, if I ask him to do the whole sentence, he panics and develops hand cramps three letters into the task -- I can be trained, and now only ask for a portion. I'm getting great work out of him!)

James and I spent an hour today, just working numbers. He wanted to work out returns on investment for real estate. We had a great discussion on economics and investment risks while we worked out different scenarios. And the boy has mastered subtraction like nobody's business (which thrills me no end, as we skipped subtraction in MUS when we switched from Classic to New - ahhh, another academic landmine avoided.)

We are back in full-reading-swing, and can I say it's wonderful? I do hope Miss Emily skips that whole screaming and writhing in angst thing regarding read alouds. We are learning so much, and enjoying so much and... we've missed it. Smidge listens in, and engages. He laughs at the jokes (and sometimes just laughs - he is one half of Tuck 'n Roll, if that helps with the imagery any), and brings books for us to share. John plays HARD while I read, but he can tell me anything I've read throughout the day, so I'm good with that. Would that we could all multi-task so well! James gets so sucked into some of the stories that he just tips right over - he leans farther and farther forward until, *plunk*, down he goes. I love this part. This is my own personal crack. Only, you know, not so hard on the ticker. It's lovely.

Oh, speaking of being hard on the ticker, we have a cricket in the basement. I can't find it, but I think it's about two or three feet long. It sounds humongous. It also proved to me today that I know no shame. I started down there for something - a book? No, to empty the dehumidifier, that was it. The dehumidifier isn't even in the basement proper - it's on the stairs, at the bottom landing. Still, it took me three tries to work up the gumption to go get it. But I did - and got it back in and myself back up the stairs in record time. Shortly thereafter, we were recapping some of our history over breakfast, and I remembered having seen the globe in an open box. It was easy to reach - just right there, on top. Down in the basement. So. Yeah, I sent James. Worse yet, when he came FLYING back up the stairs to tell me there's "something large and chirpy" down there, I had the audacity to tell him it's "just a little old cricket, he can't hurt you".

But I will confide to you that I think it's one of those nasty hunchback ones we've seen. Does anyone know what they are? Nevermind, I found them - they are camel crickets, also known as cave crickets. Their bodies are curved, rather like a shrimp, the legs are significantly longer than regular cricket legs, and they are huge, oh, and lightly striped. They're pretty stinkin' nasty! So far, we don't have a cricket wall down there. It was bad when we bought the place. The basement is far better sealed and much drier than it was before, not to mention "the cricket room" - a partial room which had been built on at some point - has been torn down, which I hope will help keep the critter population down. And I did inform Zorak today that when he gets back (he's on the road), we are poisoning everything -- every surface, crevice, and hole in the house. I have my limits, and they have been reached, okay?

However, lest y'all develop an image in your cumulative heads of me living out in the boonies, in a shack, with my hair falling out, obsessing over insectlore... (ok, the hair is coming out, but that's normal post partum stuff - it's not mange or anything. Honest.)

My favorite highlights of today:

* Seeing James check Balto's food and water, then refill them both, AND dump out the water dish before adding fresh - all without being told!

* Making paper airplanes with John and waging a mock air battle with them in the living room.

* Holding a sleepy Smidge on my lap, hearing him giggle and seeing his eyes gleam as I sang, "Jake, Jake, Jake, I'm so glad I've got one..." (a la Neil Diamond tune!)

* Watching John come barrelling out of his class, wearing a paper crown, singing his memory verse. The smile on his sweet face made my heart soar.

* Listening to James read the beginning of the Book of Judges to me on the way home tonight. Talking with him and just enjoying his exuberance.

* Watching Smidge slowly warm up to the teacher in his class, and knowing that he is okay without me, but that I'm right. there. if he should need me.

* As I was laying Emily down on the bed tonight, she opened her eyes, smiled a huge smile, took my finger in her hand and went right back to sleep.

* Hearing Zorak tell me he loves me and cannot wait to come home.

Yay.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

13 comments:

pilgrimama said...

Eeeeek! I do not like the sound of your camel crickets! Yesterday while packing a huge scorpion came falling right at me-ooo I still feel like shuddering!So glad I have not had to deal with camel crickets besides,tsk,tsk! Sounds like you had a great day!

Sheila said...

Speaking of freaky crickets, have you seen the mole crickets yet?

Once you dig one up, you'll never put bare hands in the dirt ever again.
(shudder, shudder, shudder)
Awful, dreadful, ewwww.

We have wolf spiders in the laundry room. Guess how much laundry I'm doing these days.

What an Idyllic life you have. I'm jealous. Excpet for the camel crickets. You can keep those.

Melora said...

What a good day (aside from the giant cricket -- gross!)! When Travis does his school work well, and with a good attitude, it improves my whole outlook on life. (And, unfortunately, when he doesn't try, I'm really unhappy.) I love that James is already working on investment returns for real estate. Did you consider what happens to investors who buy at the top of a market, planning to flip at closing, when the market stalls, then, entirely glutted because it was mostly investor driven anyway, begins a nose dive? The investors want to rent out their properties, but they paid so much, and there are so many identical properties for rent, that they can't come close to meeting their mortgages. That is the situation in some areas around here (not our immediate neighborhood, fortunately), and it is interesting but sad for the people involved.
We love read-alouds here too. Unless they are history related.
Cordially,
Melora

Anonymous said...

Good morning, Dy! I am not thinking about the cricket, I am not thinking about the cricket. Glad Zorak will be home, soon, He Who... returns this evening too. I am not thinking about the cricket. Real estate investing? I'm very impressed. Still not thinking about the cricket.

Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a fabulous day it sounds like you had!
About crickets- did I ever tell you the story of the time in NJ, when I witnessed a wierd, cannibalist-ic cricket ceremony in the basement? It was enough to make me start hanging my laundry outside!
I hear you about sending the kids down,lol.

We are off to Gramma's- the Girl can be sick on her couch for a little variety.
LB

Anonymous said...

I am curious to know how you sealed up your basement. Ours is full of holes... you can see out from the inside and in from the outside. And when it rains hard, we get water. We are hoping for a cheap, yet good solution.

Dy said...

momanna98, we haven't technically "sealed" it yet. But we have made huge strides. I'll post an entry with that info this weekend. It's gonna be a long road to climate control down there!

Sheila, we haven't seen the mole crickets yet, but I was subjected to may close-up photos of them while trying to figure out what we have. I'm trying to block that from my memory...

Dy

Amy said...

What a great day! We had a good one too - the moon must have been aligned just right.

We have a real problem also with our camel cricket population. We have found that those orange "bomb" cans (not sure of the name) does a really good job with them - they just disappear. But, of course the ants and roaches that they are supposed to affect apparently have immunity to it. We only use the cans as a last resort - but here in the south bugs are a fact of life no matter how well one cleans.

Good Luck

Amy

Bob and Claire said...

Hmm, we have normal "jimminy" type crickets in our garage. I thought they were really annoying, but as it now turns out, I am thrilled to have them and not some other variety, LOL! Your school day sounds great. You all are ramping back up, and we are definitely ramping down right now. Ahh, the cycles of life . . . So I guess that means that in a couple more months, we'll be back to our regular schedule too? I can hope!

Anonymous said...

It may not be a camel cricket after all: "Unlike most cricket species, camel crickets do not 'chirp.' If you are hearing chirping sounds, then you likely have field crickets." (I googled it.) We lived in Puerto Rico for eight years--talk about a buggy place!

GrammaMack

Dy said...

GrammaMack, oooh, neat! Thank you for sharing that. I know that we do actually have the camel crickets (found one dead in the kitchen and killed two in the basement - and they matched the photos of the camel crickets). However, I would not blink twice at the thought that we have many specie of various critters living in the basement. *shudder*

Dy

L said...

Ticks? ::shudder::

Crickets? No problem. This is the first house we've ever lived in where the crickets are inside with us. I thought it rather charming, like living way out in the country, being chirped to sleep every night. I think they're coming in through the garage, but I've no intention of getting rid of them. I'll leave that to the lizards.

Palmetto Bugs? (A euphemism for Giant Flying Filthy Cockroaches.) Now those are horrifying. I blast them with Clorox Clean-up. Kills, cleans, and disinfects! Except the last one I sprayed has never been found. I'm sure he's mutating somewhere, waiting...

Anonymous said...

"James and I spent an hour today, just working numbers. He wanted to work out returns on investment for real estate. We had a great discussion on economics and investment risks while we worked out different scenarios."

This is your 7yo son, right? I know it's really really bad to compare, but I feel like such a bad teacher/mom! My daughter is doing pretty well with addition and subtraction, lol!