Sunday, April 30

Short Days!

Man, today was short. And I'm talking can't-go-on-fair-rides-short. I have no idea where the day went. Ah, well, it was a good day.

We got a bit more of the "lawn" mowed. Zorak had to raise the mower to its highest setting because the "grass" was so high. (I totally got out of that task because my "sensible" shoes have gone MIA -- very cool, but I swear I didn't do it on purpose).

Zorak finally killed a bird with his slingshot. It was a good 22 paces out, too. I didn't believe him, so we had to go check it out. Yup. As one with a serious cross-eye dominance issue, I will probably never know the satisfaction of hitting anything I can't just reach out and smack. He's good, though.

I painted the hallway (yes, finally, hush - I've been holding off so I could do the foyer at the same time. It's only that today, Zorak explained that he's holding off on the foyer until he's done the master bedroom flooring and he's waiting until I've done the hallway so he can put the door frame on, thus getting it out of the master bedroom closet. Ohhhhh.... well, this explains a lot, actually...)

Then I painted the ceiling in the kitchen/living room/dining room area. (It only took us six months to decide on a ceiling paint color! WOOHOO!)

Zorak put in the new nipple-like fixtures in the hallway. It now looks like we are being hovered over by an enormous Viking Wench. The boys are going to grow up with inexplicably fond memories of, yes, the hallway. Ugh. (I hate modern light fixtures.)

While Zorak did electrical thingies with outdoor electrical parts, I washed the windows (sashes, muntins, dodads) in the kitchen and dining room with TSP. (You know the sensation you get the first time you steam clean your carpet and dump that nasty water? Yeah, it's like that.)

The boys... um, well, they did boy things. John played with the slingshot. James played with the dog. Smidge ran in circles, laughing at thin air. (Yeah, ok, that's a 2-year-old thing.) They raced matchbox cars and asked for Fairy Tales (we checked out the Brothers Grimm collection from the library). They ate. And ate. And ate. They found a wild strawberry patch and picked all of the berries - although the berries were bright red, we don't think they were ripe just yet. But does that stop boys from eating them? Nah. It doesn't have to taste good to be an adventure!

I didn't get around to baking today, but did get a little wash done and spent a lot of time reading with the boys. We're on Chapter 7 of The Last Battle. (I will not cry. I will not cry. I will not cry... much.)

See? A good day. The kind of day that ends with a little productivity, a little time together, a few good visuals and plenty of warm spots. A good day. The things that didn't get done can get done another day, but today was for this stuff. :-)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

About those lights... we always called them "Boob" lights. Too funny! I can't even watch those HGTV shows without breaking out in a grin when I see the boob-lights.

J-Lynn said...

LOL Emily may never wean if she keeps being reminded by the lights..hehe

It really was a great day! Not only were there good times but you got a lot done - wow! For me it's usually either/or.

HUGS

Thom said...

I SOOOO understand the joy of the slingshot. Kudos to Zorak on his first kill!

OMGOSH!!! I thought it was just ME making the mammary/light fixture connection!!!
I have one giant glowing breast suspended from my living room ceiling. I'm always afraid aomeone is going to notice.Boob lights...ROFL!!!!!!

Glad you guys had such a great day!!

pilgrimama said...

Stories and strawberries.That sounds fantastic. Sorry about all the allergies and the heat. Fans and popsicles are some of my secret weapons in the war on heat. Marcella

Dy said...

LOL! I'm so glad it's not just me w/ the lights! That's too funny.

Gretchen, it's sparrows - and we've got a problem w/ nesting. :-)

Oh, Marcella, yes, popsicles are a treat, aren't they? We love them - and Otter Pops, when we can get the big bulk box of them! YUM!

Dy

Anonymous said...

Ha! The light fixtures comment reminds me of when my family built an addition (okay, so it more than doubled the size of our house) when I was in high school. My mom went shopping for a BIG sink. With a seven kids, we needed a BIG sink. What she found...well...what she found was originally intended to go in a corner of the counter, we think. It had two large basins, and looked great. Except, well, except that the basins were circular, and the edge of the sink followed the round design, and the sink was beige. No kidding. After some brief discussions of red drains and several months with it sitting under a tarp in our backyard, Mom bought another sink. In fact, I'm not really sure what we did with that one. It was quietly disappeared.

Kim said...

Hey, we're reaidng The Last Battle right now, too! I read it to the kids six years ago. Now that the boys are older, they're really getting into the discussions.