Friday, April 21

A Few Things for Fun

Hey! Thanks for the help with names. I think John will be Chet, and Miss Emily will be Miss M. Those made me smile. I was leaning toward "Smiley", but then... today happened, and... yeah. She's gonna have to earn that one. ;-)

Janet, I don't think we count as Trekkies at all. We know nothing about Star Trek beyond what one can pick up on random episodes shown on UPN when nothing else is on, and general cultural knowledge. They probably wouldn't let us into a convention. I do, admittedly, have a longstanding crush on Patrick Stewart, but it's tied mostly to my affinity for older men, Earl Grey tea, rich and velvety voices, and Shakespeare... *wistful sigh*

*ahem* So. Where was I? Oh, yes, tidbits.

Our foyer is malingering. Poor thing.

momanna98, the basement and how we sealed it? Well, it's not "done", but it didn't take much to make major strides in it, really. The first thing we did was clear out The Scary Room and lay new temporary drains in the back of the house. Then we yanked out the old A/C unit, which was where The Queen Cricket of one of the several cricket tribes held court, and filled the vent hole where it entered the house. Whomever installed it had just knocked out concrete blocks until the unit could fit, then knocked out a few more for good measure. Plus, the unit itself was badly damaged and had holes and dips that collected water which drained into the basement. So, fixing that helped. French drain and new gutters are coming soon - they will make the bulk of the improvements. The current gutter design is to dump ALL the water off one corner on the uphill end of the house. That's what's causing the Zen Waterfall and overall foundation erosion. Lovely plan, if that's what they were shooting for. If not, then this is yet another "wow, I hope they didn't pay someone to do this" project. And finally, we'll replace the current doors with new headers and french doors leading out to what will one day be a covered patio (you know, when we no longer live in fear that the balcony will collapse on it). We *think* that will do the trick. I don't know. But drainage is a HUGE key to drying out a basement. Unless you want to dig up around the perimeter and lay a sealant on that side, you're probably not going to have any luck putting things inside to seal it up w/o doing some drainage work.

James asked the other day about the Right of Redemption deadline, and when I told him it's about three weeks away, he made the funniest face and literally squeaked, "Ohhhhh, the tension is RISING!" Made me laugh. We were worried about whether we made the right call in telling the boys about it, but I think we did. All options are known, and so if something should happen, they won't be thrown for as big a loop. We've taken it as calmly as possible, and so the boys do, too. (I did talk with Zorak today about what we would do if... We agreed that we'd look for another fixer-upper and start all over again. It's official. We're idiots.)

Smidge had the best day of. his. life. today. We picked strawberries at a little farm just down the road. I don't think I've ever seen him have such a grand time. The older boys enjoyed it, as well, but they remember doing it before. For Smidge, this had that whole inner dialog going: "Huh? You mean I CAN pick them? And I can EAT them? And I can throw them in this great bucket you let me have? Oh, you are THE BEST!" We could all stand to reach down and find that kind of new joy in something every day, because it looked like a whole lot of fun.

And now, I am going to start working on uploading photos, so that's all the blogging for tonight.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

7 comments:

Janet said...

Oh. So sorry, Dy. I stand corrected. This is how dumb I am....I thought 'Zorak' was a Trek name. :-O

Blessings!
Janet

ps I love to see pictures of you guys at Cracker Barrel. Reminds me of our little visit! :)

H said...

Janet, don't feel bad. I thought Zorak was his REAL name. I *did* think it sounded like dialogue out of "Mars Attacks," but wasn't comfortable pointing that out. I didn't want to make Z. feel badly about his unfortunate moniker.

Dy mentioned Zorak by another name once and I kept thinking, "C******?? Who's C****?"

I'm a little slow sometimes.

Know what else?

I have no idea what Smidge's real name is.

Don't you feel better?

Emily said...

I am envious of your strawberry picking! We received our coupon to our berry farm in the mail and I can't wait to use it. Our boys love that kind of stuff too!!


We will keep you guys in our prayers as the "right of redemption" day approaches. I am sure all will go smooth and you guys will be enjoying that house for, well...forever!

Your attitude about the entire thing speaks volumes!! I would probably be scouring the county for every chain and anvil I could find, rigging up Wiley Coyote-style booby traps all over the yard!!

~Em

Dy said...

*grin* I was wondering what I'd done to give that impression. Zorak is actually from Space Ghost. His nemesis then, and his Paul Shafer-like sidekick on Space Ghost, Coast-to-Coast.

*psst* Hillary, Smidge's real name is Jacob. If we'd known we were going to have FOUR children instead of the two we'd thought we were going to have, we would have veered away from the J names and John would have been something different. Then Smidge came along and we thought "Well, we can't have James, John, and The Spare Kid... Hmmmm." So we went w/ another J. And were we scrambling to think of another J name if Miss Emily had been a boy. As it was, it took some convincing the boys that her name could begin with something other than J. So now they're convinced that "all our girls" will begin with E. :-S

Ooo, that rambled. Sorry. Haven't fully awakened yet. :-) Anyway, all our Mysteries revealed in one fell swoop. lol.

Dy

Dy said...

Oh, Emily, believe me - if the feds weren't so darn persnickity about booby trapping your own property... ;-)

Thank you for the prayers, though. They do mean a lot.

Dy

J-Lynn said...

LOL I was picturing you guys at a Trekkie convention... hysterical!

How sweet about smidge. I wish there were more places to pick strawberries around here. We did that a lot back on the island!

Have a great time making things with them!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the basement tips. I was afraid of that.... oh well....