Thursday, April 13

A Fabulous Visit!

Hi there! Sorry for the lack of contact the past few days. We've had such a lovely time, and by the end of each day, we were all ready to turn in. Our wonderful guests arrived Saturday afternoon. It was wonderful to see everyone. Gram looks great, and was in such joyful spirits during her visit. The boys were so good to her, and loved having their great-grandmother here to pamper and talk with.



We were thrilled to have Aunt Jo Ann (in the green shirt) and Aunt Linda come, as well. They are both such neat ladies. As you can see, Miss Emily thought the added company was pretty fun, too! (And yes, lest we mar the reputation of the South, I am garbed in my finest Appalachain Gardening Wear and an old undershirt. We wouldn't want folks thinkin' we were getting uppity, now, would we?) We spent most of our time chatting over plates of snacks and hot cups of tea and coffee. In between food breaks, we took walks, enjoyed the foliage, and caught up on life and events.

Everyone came back from the walks with treasures - pretty stones, interesting seeds, and tons of smiles. The boys found a caterpillar (named "S") while out on one of their walks. Great fun!

Aunt Jo Ann allowed us to tap into her horticultural skills, so the boys now have flowers planted and are awaiting germination! (The flowers are in pots for two reasons: the dog eats flowers, and this way the boys can identify what is a flower vs. what is a weed and they won't self-destruct their own garden once we get Balto flower-trained.)

We ate. A LOT. Salmon, shrimp, Honey Baked Ham (thanks, Aunt B! It was delicious!) Fresh fruits and veggies from the farmer's stand down the road... and, of course, pizza! (Thank God for Arrowhead Mills!)

And, of course, there was a lot of baby holding... :-) Miss Emily may never allow us to put her down again!

We took a trek to the Huntsville Botanical Gardens on Tuesday - a perfect day for an outing. We lunched at the little cafe they have there - delicious, and the greatest folks work there. Then we ventured into the garden grounds. We happened almost immediately upon Gigi, the world's sweetest docent, who gave us a wonderful tour of the gardens. She answered the boys' many (many) questions, talked shop with Aunt Linda, and just made us feel welcome, in general. If you hit the garden this summer, see if you can find her for a tour - she's spectacular!

You simply cannot spend four hours there without a picnic, so picnic we did! I can't tell you what a geniunely delightful afternoon it was, but it truly was.

This morning's departure time arrived far too quickly. I couldn't convince the Aunts to leave Gram here, and we have no place to conceal her for a decent Gram-napping, so we had to let them go. We did manage to skip off to Cracker Barrel for breakfast, and Zorak joined us just in time. So, we had one more lovely day together before they headed off on yet another adventure.

We so enjoyed having loved ones come to stay, and for a first-run, these were three of the sweetest, most easy-going, generous guests we could have hoped for. (I'm sure Aunt Jo Ann was thrilled to be the prototype tester for this monstrosity of a project! But she took it well!) Our kitchen was quite well-behaved and worked just as we'd hoped it would: easy to cook for many, plenty of space for helpers, and plenty of room for everyone to just hang out and talk. So, barring any reports to the contrary, I think the house is safe for company now. ;-)

Thank you for coming, guys! We love you and we thoroughly enjoyed having you here! The house seems awfully lonesome right about now, with just the six of us here (ok, so that's not something I ever thought I'd say! But it's true!) Know you're loved and missed!

Kissing our babies for you tonight!
~Dy, Zorak and the Kidlets


11 comments:

L said...

Oh what a precious photo of Miss Emily and Gram gazing at each other!

And as my mother-in-law says, "Nice family portrait! Where's the mother?" :)

From one Official Family Photographer to another,
Lynne

Anonymous said...

Is it hormones? That picture of Emily and her great-grandma has me crying. How beautiful! I love old ladies (and I mean no disrespect to Gram)-their soft cheeks, how they wear a sweater all the time, they always have a tissue handy, so many things. I used to work in a nursing home and loved to sit and chat with the ladies. They've seen so much. I'm so happy you had a good visit.
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Such a wonderful sentiment! You know now even now when it is "just" the six of us, it seems too small. God bless wondeful families!

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a beautiful photo of Emily and Gram. I loved seeing the pictures and hearing about the visit. I missed your posts and knew you all were having a fantastic time. I love the orange in the kitchen, is that orange. I want to do orange in mine. I just finished painting my boys room Aegean blue. Tell me that color? Is it Walmart paint? I'm a Walmart shopper. lol. I want to ask you about Plants Grown Up too? Is that good, how do you like it?
Susan

Randi said...

What a sweet visit! I am loving the picture of Emily and grandma--both are cuties!

Melora said...

What a great visit! I love the picture of James & the caterpillar, and all the others, too, of course!

Anonymous said...

Looks and sounds like you had a very sweet time. Your pic of your Gram really makes me miss mine...She would have loved Sarah.
Did you ever get my e-mail? I'd love a reply if you find the time (it doesn't have to be long!).

mere

Bob and Claire said...

Oh, it sounds like a wonderful visit! Your Gram sounds like my Nana--and I would venture to say they are about the same age! We are hoping to see her either May or maybe in the fall. It's so good for kids to be able to get to know their "greats" and hear about their life experiences! I'm glad it was such a good visit--I'm sure it really makes all your hard work worth it! : )

Kim said...

Your boys are so fortunate to have these ladies around for a visit. They will remember it always, I'm sure.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful family. Beautiful pictures! What a blessed opportunity for young ones and wise ones to teach each other!

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures. There's just nothing like family! We spent today, Easter, with ours at Melissa and Troy's. I'm so glad to see a picture of little Emily. She looks like a very happy, healthy baby girl. If we ever come through your part of the country again, we're going to look you up, and hope you'll come see us if you're this way again. Tell all hello for us. Think of you often.
Mama Metts