Saturday, April 29

Quickie

I'm getting too old for this. I'm going to bed.

The bread turned out light, like wheat bread. Like no kidding, honest-to-goodness, "normal" bread. It tastes delicious, and I cannot wait to make another loaf tomorrow.

Why another loaf tomorrow? Well, because I was pretty darned excited about making bread again and I think I beat it a bit too enthusiastically. It rose and rose... and rose - it was exquisite to behold. Then it collapsed like The Hindenberg when I set it on the range top to cool. *sigh* It's still light, has great texture, and did I mention that it tastes great? That's half the battle, right there.

We had an okay day. Not stellar, but good, in general. James' allergies are acting up, and I am not sure what's triggering it. I've scoured the property, and think we've only found one clover patch - it was quickly eradicated. Don't know if it's all in the air and that's what's getting to him or if there are more allergies that we aren't aware of. I'm getting a bit nervous, though. Tonight he fell asleep during read aloud time - and he never falls asleep while there's a book to be read. He's taking local honey, Aller-Chord (I and II), and Benadryl. Still, he's miserable. Thankfully, he hasn't had The Eye Thing happen yet, and we'd like to keep it that way.

We're in an awkward stage with the renovations. Zorak has certain things he wants to accomplish that will make him feel really good about the property. I have certain things I'd like to accomplish that will make me feel really good about the property. The two lists look nothing alike. Ah-ha, and this is where the trauma, erm, experience of ten years of life together really comes into play! So we'll hash out a compromise tomorrow morning. Over fresh bread. *grin*

Oh, and we perused the gov't auctions tonight - that's always fun. Anybody want to go in with us on an auction lot of 67 bookshelves? You know, you can never have enough bookshelves! (Zorak won't let me buy 67 bookshelves - it's not that we don't have the room for them, but that he's afraid I'd then try to fill them...)

He's probably right. :-)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

6 comments:

Melora said...

What kind of grain did you use? I'm sure it was yummy! I bought myself two new bread cookbooks last summer, when I bought the bread machine, and Travis never wants anything but egg bread. Even a little scoop of wheat germ puts him off.

My book shelf hungry little soul gave a happy leap when you said "67 book cases." And you have Room for them? And you're Not planning to buy them? Couldn't you explain to Zorak how excellent they'd be for storing Other Things? (All the while, of course, secretly planning to fill them with Books, books, Books -- over the next 80 years, of course. This is the Forever Home, right?)
Have a good weekend planning out the next projects!
Cordially,
Melora

J-Lynn said...

OK I admit your title caught my eye...LOL

I will give you a call tonight after Alyssa's award ceremony.

Hugs

Thom said...

Well, I can chip in for like, two shelves, maybe. My house is just so darned small.

Yay,for you on the fresh bread (even if the first loaf went a little flat)!! The fun of recipes is in the pinch-of-this- and-dash-of-that-customizing-until-it's- perfect,anyway, eh? Happy baking!!!

Poor James!! I've been taking chewable bee pollen tablets for this weird allery-based rash I'm dealing with.
They're all natural and seem to be helping the problem so maybe it's worth a shot for little Professor?? Hope he's feeling beeter soon!

Bob and Claire said...

So sorry to hear that James is struggling with his allergies. Caleb is struggling with his right now too--we had an "eye incident" about 2 weeks ago.

Bob and I also have our separate lists of what we need to do to get the house ready to sell (not that it's time-essential right now, but I want to be ready when it is!), and they don't look anything alike either. Somehow, men and women don't think the same things are important when judging what potential buyers are looking for, LOL! We're still hashing . . .

Laney said...

Kevin has a sinus infection so we know all about the allergies. I tried Grapefruit seed, Echinicea, Grapefruit seed nose spray and a few other things but this morning he was worse. He's on antibiotics. Blech!

We'll pray for James, poor little guy!

Dy said...

Melora ~ we tried the "Four Bean Flour Mix" - or something like that. The flour is a mix of garbanzo and fava bean flour, sweet sourghum flour, cornstarch and tapioca flour. It was a no-yeast recipe, and I'm surprised by how well it rose anyway! Kind of neat.

Thom ~ Thanks for the tip on the pollen tablets. I'll see if our crunchy market has them. Anything is worth a try - he reacts worse when we go into town, where every grassy patch has clover. Poor kid.

Clairs ~ Aww, poor little guy. I hope he's feeling better soon!

Laney ~ Have you tried oregano oil? It is PHENOMENAL for sinuses! You have to use it in a base (like olive oil or castor oil) b/c it's so strong, but it can really help. Might be worth a try. Has he tried a saline rinse? (I know, sounds nasty, but also helps tremendously.) Gah, it stinks being sick.

May everyone feel 100% better by next week! *poof*

Dy