Wednesday, April 5

Oh! I forgot to tell you!

Sunday afternoon, as the boys and I were heading out, that guy came back! And he brought the blueprints to the house. Zorak spoke with him for a while, and told him to come back in about a month, that we'd have the money to buy them then. In fact, we do have the money now, but we'd like to keep a safe distance until all is said and done.

Zorak got the impression that yes, this kid really wants this house and property in a bad way, but that it's like we'd feel if someone outside the family bought Granny's ranch. The kid does know the people who lost it. Whether he's in with them on anything or not, we don't know. But we do believe that he's related to the man who built the house. That was a relief. When this is all over, we'd like to invite him in to see what we've done.

One thing that we both thought was very neat is the original kitchen. When we were trying to figure out what to do with the kitchen, we tried everything we could think of. Something definitely had to be done -- it was a narrow galley kitchen, and that layout is diametrically opposed to the way we live. We live in the kitchen, and we wouldn't all fit in the old kitchen! Anyhow, nothing we tried seemed to work: breakfast bar, peninsula design, partial wall... finally, I told Zorak, "This house wants that wall OUT." He put down his clipboard, turned to me (I braced for him to recommend medication) and said, "I thought the same thing." So. Nobody got medicated, and the wall came down. That one little change completely altered the feel and flow of the kitchen and living spaces. It was amazing.

Well, the original plans didn't have a wall there! It was an open kitchen, not a galley! How cool is that? Our house talks!

And on that note, it's telling me to get off my duff and cover it's receptacles. Show some modesty, for goodness sake, woman!

Kiss those babies!
~DY

6 comments:

The Crib Chick said...

LOL...Dy, I just looked at the 'before' pics, and the last two captions cracked. me. up.

"Someday, this will be a fire."

(Guffaw...)

And the balcony...reminds me a little of ours, sad to say.

Get a little glass of wine, wink and motion to the hubby to step out on the deck to look at the stars with you (ours is outside our bedroom) and then do that little **jerk** when you step out on it and feel the sway.

"Isn't it romaaaantic...."

I'm excited for you guys.

H said...

"House Whisperer"

I'm tellin' you.....

Anonymous said...

Even though he's just a kid, wouldn't it be like rubbing it in to let him in the house when all is said and done. I mean you said he wanted it in a bad way. I don't know the whole thing of him coming by and then coming back and knowing the old owners and them living there with that "carpet". It just gives me a creepy feeling letting him in and being friendly like that with him.
Susan
Http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/susan/

Melora said...

How cool that your idea matched the house's original design! I'm glad Zorak was there to talk with the fellow this time, and that he came up with a kind but prudent way to handle things. Much as the guy would probably love to have the property back, at least it should please him to see it loved and brought back to beauty. I used to dream of owning my grandma's house in Pennsylvania one day, and, even though that will never happen, I would be happy to think that it was being well cared for.

Thom said...

"House Whisperer"....BWAHAHAHAHA!!
Good one,Hillary!! ROFL!!
Funny AND true!!

Dy said...

Susan, thank you for bringing up that point. It's definitely not our intention, at all. Our thoughts are along the lines of what Melora mentioned - if this was my mom's old house, or Zorak's Granny's ranch, we would want it for ourselves in a bad way, but would also feel sooo much better knowing it was being loved and restored rather than being used as a meth house. We certainly wouldn't want to be cruel toward anyone, and will keep that in mind.

As for him knowing them, I think in a town of 350 people, it's hard not to know just about everyone, particularly if you've lived here your whole life. We're becoming known as "the folks fixin' up that house back off the road" - down at the Piggly Wiggly, the corner gas station, the library. It's a small town and pretty soon everybody knows you. He doesn't run w/ them, from what we understood, and is glad that they're out of here.

And I think it's official: I'm getting old. He's probably in his mid-20's, so I don't know why I said he's a kid. He just seems young. Or I'm starting to feel pretty darned old. ;-)

Dy