Thursday, April 27

Darling Critters

Yeah, the two-legged ones. Man, are they adorable. This afternoon they put together one of the picnic tables, played furiously with the bubble wrap, and helped with the hand rail on the back steps. Busy little helper monkeys, and so happy. When all was said and done, Smidge sat on the steps, grinning to himself. Zorak asked him if he likes the new steps and Smidge said, "Yes!" He paused, thinking and grinning to himself, then added, "Thank you!" Awwwww. Way to melt Daddy's big ol' heart!

The list thing had another good run today. Oh, and Laney, there's no need to be sheepish in admitting to a list addiction, er, affinity. I'm a list maker extraordinaire. It's so bad, in my case, that I actually make sub-lists that reference the master lists! If ever I had to find a job that would truly suit my skills, it would be as an administrative list-maker. Or steak eater, but that's not the point. Wouldn't that be fun? Er, for me, anyway. I just didn't want to get the boys started because (a) they would expect me to continue making them lists - which I don't mind, but the printer hasn't been replaced yet, and (b) they'd hold me accountable - again, not necessarily bad, but... but... but... I think I'm going to put their lists in page protectors and give them dry erase markers. :-)

We went to the market today, where Smidge was the attraction du jour. Too bad he didn't realize it. He was sitting in the basket, completely upright and sound asleep. I couldn't figure out why he hadn't tipped over, until I saw that he'd grasped the mesh of the basket and had his arms fully extended on either side. I don't know how he figured that out, but he managed to tether himself upright in a dead sleep! It was hilarious, and passers-by got quite a kick out of the sight.

James started Stuart Little last night. We picked it up at the libary, and he pulled it out of the bag at bedtime. This morning, he tumbled out of bed, crawled into our bed and finished it up before breakfast. I guess he really enjoyed it, although he said the ending left him hanging a bit. Yeah, just wait til he starts reading O'Brien's books... he he. He started on Gulliver's Travels tonight.

John's been running hard every day, and passing out during story time at night. He is such a happy little guy. I can't think of a day that's passed recently that hasn't found him telling us how much he loves his home and his family. He just - fits. He's at home here, and in his own skin. I love that. He's applying himself to his studies quite well lately - the promise of taking the bat out and hitting for a while motivates him both joyfully and thoroughly. What fun!

Miss Emily has blended seamlessly into the family. The boys pick out her outfits (because, according to them, I'm not very good at it). I've got to hand it to the boys, though, they do put together some darling ensembles. I don't know how they're going to take it when she wants to pick them out herself. She's grown so much! Others say she's still to tiny and petite, but I think she's a little chunk (and I say that in a good way - like the Mexican nickname "gordita" - she looks like a healthy, happy, well-fed baby should look).

Oh. (gleeful noises!) I am about to go on a bread making rampage, folks! The book I picked up yesterday has recipes you would not believe: bagels(!) pretzels (!) pita bread (!) french bread (!) There isn't enough punctuation to express how exciting these prospects are to me. That we will once again have yummy freshly baked goods strewn about the house is a joy. Before John's diagnosis, I'd begun baking breads - elegant braided loaves, lovely dinner rolls, yummy breakfast loaves. It was a delight and a treat. And we've missed it. It's also time to splurge and get the grain mill, and put in a co-op order. I hope Zorak doesn't mind keeping the tubs upstairs for a while. If I have to go to the basement to get grain before I bake, it's gonna go rancid long before I use it all, and that'll never work.

Ah, and The Chunk sounds hungry, so I'd better go.
Kiss those babies!
~Dy

3 comments:

Amber said...

I'm with you on the list thing - I am a ridiculous list maker. But I've come to terms with it because it helps me keep my sanity and happiness. :-) I try very hard not to make lists for other people. Occasionally though I will make a list of things that I need to remember to tell or ask Matt about. I try really hard to not barrage him with all the list items at once though. :-D

I really hope that new cookbook is as wonderful as it sounds! Every time I make bread or grind wheat I think about you guys! I hope you do get a grain mill soon, they are really nifty. I really like mine, now that I've gotten over my hesitation about using it. (I have this weird thing about appliances - I can now use the food processor, grain mill, and mixer without too much of a problem, although I'm still working on the blender. *grin*)

Anniesue said...

I can't wait to hear how your recipes turn out. We don't have wheat allergies but we're always glad for new ideas in the kitchen! Thanks for your kind comments about the kids!!!

Laney said...

Phew!! I was a little worried! :-)

ROFL @ the boys picking out Em's outfits. You dressed her in the sequined belt, didn't you!!