Tuesday, February 1

Quick Morning Coffee

Hi guys! The boys are taking a quick break and so I thought I would, too.

It's Tuesday (Tuesday? Yes, I think that's right.) There will be no house for auction on Thursday. The sale has been cancelled for this particular house, and while I'm sad that our plans for that house have been squashed, I'm also glad to know that another family was able to stave it off. I'm sure they are relieved, too. I do think, however, that I'm just not going to say anything until we return from the closing table on whatever house comes through. Far too many ups and downs, twists and turns. Makes me irritable and somewhat meanspirited, which neither you nor the boys need to put up with. :-)

Hey, for you knitters out there- Is there such a thing as "Knitter's Thumb", or am I just doing something terribly wrong? The scarf is looking quite recognizeable, though. And, while I'm begging for advice, is it possible to yarn over without realizing it? I'm not sure how it's happening, but every tenth row or so I find an extra stitch in there- just loose, but definitely "there" and I have to decrease. I can't figure out when it's happening, though, and it's driving me batty!

The boys are enjoying a short break before we start our next lessons- James is reading Junie B. Jones (which he says isn't bad, although she doesn't like broccoli, which he finds a little strange), and John is oohing over a Mindware catalog, begging for new puzzles. (Sorry, kiddo, but we're going to have to do more culling before we allow anything new into the house!) Smidge found James' bowl of peanut butter and chocolate chip oatmeal. ('Nuff said.)

In the mornings, before the day's activity begins, I've been reading Breaking Free by Beth Moore and completing the discussion with a group of online ladies. I seem to have doctrinal disagreements on nearly every page, but there are some good nuggets worth harvesting from it. The group is nice, although some are terribly quiet. I hope the discussion picks up soon- there's so much to be gleaned from one another, and that's what makes a study (online or in real life) so much fun.

Also reading The Surgeon's Mate, which is, as always, wonderful fiction for my quiet little nook. Hey- do you have a picture of your favorite spot to read? Maybe we should get Donna to do one of those now that everybody but, er, one nameless person, has showed their desks!

I'm going to go supervise the Latin practice before they start making up their own verbs and things go horribly awry. We don't want to leave Zorak out of the picture, either, so we'll save the word inventing for supper.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

5 comments:

Laney said...

Good Morning Dy! I read your comment on my blog and all I can say is, girl you stay up waaay too late!!! LOL I am all for a show us where you read photo, I missed the desk one. Would you be willing to share the secret of how you put a line thru a word like I have seen you do so many times? I tried in vain to do it this morning. Oh well! Have a good one!

Kim said...

I taught my daughter to knit, and she managed to do "yarn over" without realizing it, ending up with holes and extra stitches. She gave up, but I'm hoping she'll get the bug later.

How are you enjoying "Breaking Free," Dy? I saw Jess mention it on her blog, and I found a friend who is willing to loan it to me for my daughter. What are your thoughts on that? E-mail if you have anything you could share (when you get time, of course! Boy, I sound bossy today - sorry 'bout that!)

Dy said...

Laney- the strike-through is really easy. In front of the word you want to strike-through, put an S inside the less than/greater than symbols. Then put an /S (forward slash, not backward!) inside the less than/greater than symbols at the end of the word and, Voila! You have a strike-through! It isn't case-sensitive.

Kim, I will email you tonight about the book. ;-)

Dy

Laney said...

Thanks Dy. :-)

Donna Boucher said...

Dy,

Slow down a little and watch your knitting. I watch my stitches very closely... so I don't drop a stitch...
ya gotta pay attention to knitting.

In, around, under, off :o)