Tuesday, February 15

Back from the Library

You know you're officially a regular at the library when...

...the librarian randomly suggests books to you, you know, since you're "finally reading fiction"...

...all the librarians flock to your husband, whom they have never seen before, but recognized because of the baby on his hip...

...and they welcome him to his first visit to the library, but look crestfallen when he just puts books on your card instead of getting one of his own...

...the children's librarian has quit recommending Walter the Farting Dog to your six year old son and finally takes him seriously when he requests books on "plant taxonomy"...

...the librarian who checks in your books doesn't give you the hairy eyeball when you explain that the first 35 pages of your last O'Brian book fell out in one chunk...

...the librarians engage the children in dialogue during checkout, asking how they enjoyed the last books (by title) and making suggestions for their next trip...

...you find yourself keeping a running list of the "best biographies in the juvenile section" and you've read nearly all of them now...

...in spite of the fact that you only make it to the Big People's Side of the library every eighth trip or so, you finally know your way around that side of the building, too...

...I know I've said it many times, and here I go again- I really love our library!!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

6 comments:

J-Lynn said...

LOL Dy. Unfortunately I think my boys would much rather go for the farting dog book then any on plants...LOL

I love my library too. It's not set up very smart, but they have a lot and the staff is for the most part friendly. I was so excited to pay my jail bond, er-- I mean library fines off and have priviledges again!

Kim said...

We have really small branch libraries, and we are well-known in two of them. I'm technically not in the "right" county for a free card, but I'm there so much that they don't make me pay the obligatory $5 every year. This year, the mother of one of dd's friends started working at the library,and so I get lots of help from her. I wish we had more books, but all in all, I'm glad we have friendly librarians.

Di said...

Dy,
My boys would love the ISBN for Walter the Farting Dog. I am convinced they will never grow out of that genre.

Hey -- I am praying for a house for you. Sorry it is such a grind to find it.

Take care,
Diane

Anonymous said...

The librarians know us well, too, both at the main desk (I order my books on-line so I don't have to take my kids to the stacks) and in the Children's Room. Sometimes we've had close to a hundred books out at a time on our 4 cards together (no limit at our library, and they know us so well they keep hitting override for us.) I need all 4 cards because each one has a reserve limit and there have been times when I've needed all 4 to cover all our reserve needs.

Anonymous said...

Oops, I forgot to say that that is me Karin who takes out and reserves so many books.

Donna Boucher said...

* you know your librarians well enought set up knitting dates at the local yarn shop.


Your list is great! I'll bet they love you right back :o)