Friday, February 18

Realtor Rant 2/18

So today I talked with the Realtor. The conversation went something like this:

Her: So, since you're willing to look at that one lousy place on this side of the river that's way out of your original price range (you know, the one with 2000 square feet and a lot of work you could do yourself), I've gone and found you two on the other side of the river that are virtually new and need no work at all! And the best part is that they're less expensive that the one on this side! (By, erm, $2k)

Me: (registering the fact that both of the two "great finds" she's pushing are also well under 1000 square feet and are pretty well maxed out on their improvement potential) So, yeah, what about the one I emailed you about? What's the story on that?

Her: *pause* The one on XYZ street? Oh, that's a repo. It needs a lot of work.

Me: Yes. It's been repo'd twice. It's probably trashed. I want to look at it.

Her: I think it's also old.

Me: Well, you know how we've mentioned that we'd rather upgrade a property ourselves... *pause for verbal confirmation that never comes* we think this could be along those lines. Plus, the taxes on it are lower than the other two you're mentioning. And this one's over 1400 square feet. A 1400 square foot home in great condition is really quite expensive.

Her: *laughs* Yeah, it is.

Me: And this one is not in great condition. But we could fix that. So, do you see where I'm heading with this?

Her: OK, so do you want me to look it up?

Me: That would be great. Thanks. And we'd like to look at it. In person. You know, walk in and see it. When can we do that?

Her: Um... So, I think you'll really like these other two. Do you want me to meet you at the one on ABC street at, say, eleven tomorrow? *she's starting to sound suspiciously like the voice response system at Wells Fargo, and that system was a huge reason to change banks*

Me: Why don't you see if we can see the repo first and then email me the itinerary.

Her: I think you're just going to love these two I've found for you!

Me: *making static noises* I think I'm heading into a bad area. I can't...you...Charles. *more static noises* Call... later? K. Bye!

*beep*

James: Mommy, are you choking? Why did you make that noise? Are you okay?

5 comments:

Julie D. said...

:-0

I am just cracking up ... except that it was a real conversation. You really kept your cool a lot better than I would have as I'd have started making inquiries about who is working for who, etc. Must be nice to be such a quick thinker...

Donna Boucher said...

Oh Dy...is this the same realtor? Or is it the new improved realtor???

"Show me the houses!" (Imagine Shirley MacLaine in Terms of Endearment..."Give my daughter her drugs!!!)
"Show me the dang house!"

Patty in WA or Rover said...

Dy, you have to stop killing me. Right up our alley indeed. But I know what you mean. We looked at soooo many houses. We were looking at 60s semi-custom homes, and more people than not had remodeled them to have the kids rooms on the completely opposite side of the house from the parents. Sad.

I loved our realtor though--finally, after going through about 3 others who saw the offspring as a chore in a carseat. We finally found a grandma who had been in the biz for 30 years and had been in every house in the neighborhood.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Laney said...

Dy, you amamzing sense of humor never ceases to amaze me! I hope that soon you will find a house and the oys will find a yard!
Laney

Laney said...

umm, yeah, that should be "boys" I know you don't have 3 oys, it only feels like it sometimes! The Florida sun is wilting my brain.
Laney