Monday, February 21

Beautiful things

OK, first off, I have to say that I'm not the person to invite to a Longaberger party, and I don't own a single wall sconce or silk floral arrangement (other than those hideous poinsetta things we inherited from my Mother, but as soon as James is looking the other way, they're outta here!) I just don't get a big thrill from collecting things to dust, spend money on, or clutter up my house. So, knowing that about me...



Imagine my absolute delight when I saw the beautiful journals Samantha is creating over at The Home Realm! She posted a few samples of the work she had done, and I was simply, immediately enamoured with them. They're useful and lovely. Granted, I have a deep and abiding addiction to, erm, appreciation for fine stationery and the written word. If you can combine the two in a beautiful fashion, you have my attention. Samantha has done that with her journals.



Then, if you're not all imagined out, imagine my giddiness upon receiving one from Samantha, herself! She asked me what theme I would like, and I asked for one of mountains. Specifically, mountains out west, which are quite different from the ones out east, and that is the one physical feature I miss the most.



Not long after that conversation, here is what found its way to me:
Hosted by Photobucket.com
She claims she doesn't do nature scenes well, but look at these!! The images on the inside pages are light enough that I can write on the page (even in pencil) and they don't interfere, but they bring a delighted smile every time I open my journal.



Here is the cover. The writing is from Psalms and says, "God has made my feet like deer's feet, and sets me upon high places..."
Hosted by Photobucket.com



Now, if this journal looks green to you, please let me know. It looked right on my computer, but when I uploaded it to Photobucket, it morphed. The cover is a gorgeous buckskin tan with a deep forest green overlay. To do it justice, I needed morning light, but it's winter in the mid-Atlantic region and we just don't get "morning light" for photos right now.



I've been using it for my prayer journal, keeping track of requests and praises. James has confiscated it more than once, and he loves to keep it in his personal library. He fell in love with it, and asked me the day it arrived if it could be a "Mommy and James Journal". I thought he meant for me to write about us in it, but no, he wanted to be able to write in it, too. "It's beautiful," he whispered, as he traced the designs.



Ah, well now, I can't argue with that kind of logic, can I?



If you are looking for a nice gift for the writer on your list, or for the fine paper products addict you know and love, please contact Samantha about getting one of these. They would make a lovely stand-alone gift (with a personal inscription on the inside front cover), or would be the ultimate foundation to a writing basket or gift bag.



Kiss those babies!
~Dy

6 comments:

Sheila said...

Aw....that is so sweet. And the journal is beautiful too.

That reminds me that i need to print off some pictures for M. He likes to scrapbook with me and really should encourage his interest instead of just trying to get him out of my studio.

J-Lynn said...

Absolutely beautiful! And so sweet that James wants to share it. And of you to let him. You guys are the greatest.

Samantha, what a thoughtful, beautiful thing to do!

Hugs!

Kim said...

Positively gorgeous! I am a fellow journal addict. I had a leather bound one in my hand not to long ago,planning on buying it, but the price really was shameful, so I put it down.

The picture if beautiful, Dy.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!

I'm curious - what do you put in a prayer journal? Is it like a log book, or a diary or a record of a conversation?

Poppins

Kate said...

Dy:
Your book is lovely! How many pages inside does it have? It is so very pretty and I appreciate you sharing it with us.
Kate

Dy said...

Thanks, guys- I just love it. Samantha makes the most amazing things.

Sarah, I keep a prayer journal like an informal log- when there's a specific prayer request passed my way, or just something I want to add, I put the date and a description of what I'm asking for- then, when the prayer is answered, I go back and write the "answered" date at the end of the line, in red. It's amazing how quickly the pages get scattered with red. Very uplifting and encouraging.

Kate, mine has 20 pages to write on. I had to count them- it's so slim and compact that I was thinking I had maybe eight pages. LOL! WOOHOO! That is very cool.

Dy