Friday, February 25

Frozen Drool, Wonder Woman and LOUD babies

I had the day "all planned out": market, Wal-Mart, BJ's (we've been holding off until payday, can ya tell?) But then Zorak had to work. And we slept in. And by the time we had everyone fed, dressed and dropped off, the boys and I made it to BJ's. That was it. Two of three were out cold and drooling when I pulled into the Shopper's lot. It was too cold today to drag them through the parking lot with wet shirts, so we headed home.

Three of four napped. Thankfully, James likes to read undisturbed for hours at a time. I meant to lay down with the baby just long enough to get him back to sleep, but he has this bizarre Star Wars-like ability to throw me into a trance. "This is not the toddler you're looking for." OK. If ever there is an intergalactic war between good and evil, don't bother to draft me. I will be of no use to you.

Zorak thought he'd be done by four. Well, maybe four thirty. OK, be there around five-ish. Closer to six. Poor guy. By the time they were done with the briefing and ready to go, it was seven o'clock. He hadn't eaten all day, and he was cold, tired and g-r-u-m-p-y. We have secret plans to make tomorrow a special day for him. He heads off Sunday for who-knows-how-long. The change of scenery will be nice, and this trip will bring The Project closer to completion, which will do wonders for his enthusiasm in general.

You know, I hate not being able to improve things for him in that realm, directly, and it's difficult to stay focused on improving things for him by the indirect means at my disposal: timely meals, tidy house, clean skivvies on demand, that kind of thing. It matters, I know, but that's hard to get enthusiastic about it when what I really want to do is break out the golden bracelets and sparkly boots and take on the dark forces of the universe!!!

And might I just go on record as saying that Smidge is the - I kid you not, and no, this isn't a case of selective amnesia - THE loudest child we have ever had! Holy Bat Crap, Robin, what are you feeding that child? It's not as bad as it could be, I suppose, as it's usually a happy noise, but... still, seriously. When you are accustomed to having children who use their inside voices from the age of, oh, ONE, on, it's downright shocking to have one that squeals so heartily you'd swear he's strained something doing it. I wanted to d-i-e tonight at dinner. Thankfully, three tables of people made a point of coming up to our table and commenting that the boys are wonderfully behaved and so cute, such a joy to watch and we must really enjoy them, etc. Bless those kind souls. There is a special place in heaven for folks who can handle the occasional Happy Baby Eruption Of Glee and don't see it as further proof of the lack of respect for others in today's society.

And on the plus side, Smidge learned to put his finger to his mouth and say, "Shhhhh, yes, shhhhhh" tonight. So, that was a bonus.

The house is quiet, the laundry can wait. I am going to go read Treason's Harbour with a hot cup of coffee and some chocolate!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

House update!! House update!!! WHERE is the house update?!?!

~kolbi

Dy said...

OMGosh! It's so good to see you! I didn't think you came by anymore. How are you?

The house. We got the bid in. They opened them today. And although the "net" amount (what the VA will pocket after all fees and commissions, etc. are paid) is written on the front page of the bid, it takes the gov't a full week to figure out which piece of paper has the highest number and then let us know.

So we won't know whether we got our beloved rat-hole until Friday. No stress, huh? LOL. I will be sure to blog either way, though. Check back. :-)

Dy

Thom said...

Apparently neither of us will be of any use if the Sith Lords take over the universe(read my last blog).

I see I'm in good company! :0)

Looking forward to our trip to D.C.!

Laney said...

LOLOL, Dy! I love your sense of humor. I can relate to the volume issue. My Jeremy has one volume, breaking glass best describes it! And to boot he has this deep voice you would never expect to hear coming out of a five year old. So funny.
Laney

Anonymous said...

Dy! Soooo funny what you said about Smidge. I don't think he uttered one sound while we had dinner in December. He's growing up :) Janet

Anonymous said...

"This is not the toddler you're looking for."ROFLOL!

Have you ever tried this as a parenting technique? You like to play with your brother. He is your best friend. Not only does it have a spooky sucess rate, you get to feel all evil and cunning. Mwa-ha-ha

Poppins