Tuesday, February 1

Will garlic work on MLM folks, or just vampires?

Sometimes I just have to shake my head.

I have a dear friend who wandered into MLM (multi-level marketing) programs a few years back. It's been good for her in many ways: she's become amazingly optimistic, her vocabulary has increased, and she has learned to think "outside the box".

Sadly, some of this translates into not so positive points, as well: she can't admit when her schemes are falling stunningly short of success and a five-year plan that's ten years overdue is still her holy grail; I swear if she uses the word "paradigm" one. more. time. ARGH; box? What box? What rules of socialization? No doesn't mean "no". It means "rephrase it and try again, and again and again."

It's funny to see someone I've known for so long get sucked under what I consider to be the intellectual bus, but there's really no broaching the subject with her. And, to be honest, she is happy doing this, so there's no point in trying to talk her out of it. The friends she hasn't run off with her constant sales pitch are now happily selling under her, so hey, whatever works, right?

But sometimes, like I said, I just have to shake my head...

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At this point, shaking your head is perfect. It's hard to watch people get sucked in. If you've ever had trouble putting your finger on why MLMs are so damaging, read this. No hype, no hyperbole, just an analysis of why MLMs hurt friendships, how the success of a few often comes from the failure of many, etc... http://www.vandruff.com/mlm.html. I refuse to attend MLM "parties" at friends' houses, and would *never* ask my friends to come to my house and buy overpriced stuff so I could get something free.

Stephanie not in TX said...

Sigh.

I have a friend/neighbor who, since I met her, has become a Tupperware director.

'Nuff said.

Need any Tupperware?