Wednesday, February 2

Sweet Bedtimes

Our routines have changes as we've added each child, adjusted to meet the needs (and dynamics) of a growing family (not to mention the switch to zone defense of the escape routes once we were officially outnumbered and could no longer do the man on man defense!)

Some of it has stayed pretty much the same, though, and the general routine for bedtime is simple: bath, jammies, wrestle time, story time. Then to bed for eleven minutes of reading (Zorak just combined the older boys' ages and let that be the "official time", although we'll be in trouble when James actually has a clock in his room and realizes we often let them go longer, or that we cut it short if they're squirrelling and not reading!) So when the boys are in bed and reading, the Smidge comes downstairs for his quiet time. I love this time of night. Zorak sets him down and Smidge comes running (Muppet style- arms flailing) down the hallway to me.

Normally I'd pick him up and go snuggle on the couch, but lately he has his own process. He finds a blanket and brings it to me, setting it on my lap and talking animatedly the whole time. He then leads the way to the couch and pats the couch, indicating I need to spread out the blanket. When it's ready for him, he turns around and backs up to me to pick him up, all the while doing a happy little arm-flapping dance. I set him on the blanket and bundle him up with his little arms held high and waving back and forth, his whole body trembling in anticipation. As soon as the corner is tucked, he closes his eyes and lets out a deep little sigh.

We still snuggle a bit before he goes to his bed, and he still nurses regularly, both of which I am thankful for. These little ones move on to independence so quickly, and I have no desire to rush any of them out of the nest. I love this time with them, and I love knowing that they're content and safe- and that they know they're safe and loved.

Sweet Bedtimes are one of my favorite parts of the day.

And now, we are off to stock the pantry and enjoy this glorious (read: above freezing) day!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

2 comments:

Kim said...

*sniff, sniff* You're making me nostalgic. My youngest one still lays his head on my shoulder when we read out loud during school, but he prefers to read solo before bed. They grow so fast; you're very wise for not "helping" them along the way.

I'm so disappointed I didn't get to read your blog from yesterday until tonight; where was I? Really thought provoking. My husband is always saying "Insight with the correct amount of whimsy" is a good blog plan.

J-Lynn said...

Hey Dy, it's time to start putting mine down so I will be back later but I wanted to say how much I enjoy Isabelle and my special alone time as well at night. She has started taking books to me (she watches the older ones do it). So, we snuggle and I read to her and she "reads" to me and she nurses here and there among it all. It's very sweet and you are right, they do grow WAY too fast!
Hugs!