Thursday, February 10

A Little Howdy

Hi all!

Well, today went wonderfully. The boys have kicked into high gear and seem to enjoy the new routine.

John is reading. I mean, actually reading! This week he's read the first six lessons in McGuffey's First Whateveritis, and today he asked if he could write the phonograms for review all on his own. Starting with "the ones I know first, Mama," he wrote them out, including a few of the two-letter phonemes! He had fun "teaching" me what they say, and then wrote his name all on his own. He was so proud of himself! He even ran downstairs to drag James away from his game time to show him! (Thankfully, James was gracious, excited, and so encouraging of John.)

James is now writing exclusively in cursive. He did his spelling words this week in cursive, and they're all legible! Wow. He says it's his favorite subject, and asked if tomorrow he can write some letters to the family in cursive. I felt a little bad for taking the accolades he gave me when I said yes. Honestly, what else would I have said? Still, you'd have thought I gave him an early birthday gift, and I currently enjoy Most Favored Mommy status with the Childhood UN.

The new schedule leaves extra time for me to savor each boy, and I'm sure enjoying that. With all three so active and inquisitive, I was spread thin. Thin means cranky, and that's not good for anyone. We'll talk about it tomorrow, but I think they will agree that we are on a good path, and that this is more fun than how we've been doing things.

Zorak needs a little extra mommy time, too, I think. He's working hard and staying busy, and although he gets out of the house each day, it's not like he gets to go play at the beach while he's gone. He can't really talk about work much since I could be a threat to national security, so I'll just refer to any project as "The Project," and call it good. You now know about as much as I do. Anyway, I think The Project has him a little tense, and not being able to sort it out in the evenings seems to be leaving him in an awkward spot- a little lonely spot, I think. So, since I'm not the brightest wife in the world (having just caught on to this), but I'm the only one he's got, I'm blogging now rather than tonight and am going to give him some extra attention tonight. We'll fix a fun supper for the boys and then when they're tucked in, I'm going to try to knit my way through a Quentin Tarantino movie. It's one of Zorak's favorites, and I just can't... quite... *sigh* But maybe if I knit when I don't want to look, I can get through it? We'll see. Ah, the things we do for love, and it's all worth it.

Have a wonderful evening, all! Enjoy those families, and as always,
Kiss those babies!
~Dy

5 comments:

Amy said...

So glad your new schedule is starting to work itself out. I've also found the need to work with them individually. Everyone is much happier.

Enjoy time with Z. He deserves it! (It's so easy to forget sometimes - believe me, I know.)

Patty in WA or Rover said...

You are very wise to figure out that The Project can be a very lonely place to work. My dh and I have never really spent a lot of our time talking about work--he prefers not to talk about his, and he never has liked to, from the beginning--so it's been a great time to talk about other things. But when dh HAS to talk about it, he can, and boy does he. I wonder how hard it is not to be able to.

Glad the 8i29hasdfhl (my word for "schedule") is working out. Our week got better as we went along...Monday was realllly icky.

Kim said...

My hubby has a law suit at his office, i.e. they're being sued for something. This happens often, but this one is more serious, and I know it's weighing on his mind.

You're such a good wife to give him that nurture time. Sometimes, they just need it.

Donna Boucher said...

Very impressive to be writing in cursive already! Super!

Unknown said...

Wonderful! Isn't it great when you can really see the progress? I'd love to see your schedule too.