Tuesday, August 31

A beautiful day!

Oh, today was great! We watched airplanes taking off just a mere 100 yards from us (John was nearly knocked down by the blast- that is an incredible sensation!) We watched several planes (yes, "airplane" is about as detailed as I can get when it comes to aircraft- most had jet engines, some had propellers- beyond that, you're on your own) taxi down the runway and take off, then got to see three catapult shots. The boys compared the differences, and were awed by the power of science. (I was a wee bit antsy about being that close to the military equivalent of the big station wagon with "Student Driver" written on the doors!) We watched several touch 'n go maneuvers, discussed runway lighting and control towers, thorougly enjoyed the process (*really* wanted to go talk to the crew with our thousand and one questions when they were done, too! *grin*)

We met Zorak for lunch, talked pizza and politics, enjoyed the scenic route taking him back to work, and then headed to the market.

Sometimes you just run into incredibly delightful people at the market! Today the lady stocking the produce was one such person. She was so helpful at first, and then so involved. She cut open new items and let the boys taste them. She dug through the Produce Guide with the boys to learn new things. We went in for bread, milk and creamer. We left with red bananas, tamarinda beans, some kind of pasta thingy that you fry like Fry Bread (we're going to try that tonight!)... and, of course, milk, bread and creamer.

People who say children won't learn by reading, reading, reading just haven't paid attention. James spotted the red bananas and immediately went into a lengthy explanation of how bananas are herbs, not trees, how they "sport" and create new varieties- often with no reason or forewarning. John listed several different types of lesser known bananas. Then they went into other edible plants- spotted the nopalitos and asked about the cactus pears... it just goes on and on. I love being able to apply and explore the things we've read.

Ryan- thank you for your comments. I'm actually not really blogging right now (shhh- I'm making pasta *grin*) but I appreciate hearing from you and will give your question the attention it deserves soon. I just had to come rave about our wonderful day- and now it's back to making sauce and attending to a cranky, teething baby.

Enjoy your day, all!
~Dy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dy,

Thanks for the shout out ;)

I just realized that in addition to being long winded and absent minded, my comment "read" (can't say sounded) sanctimonious, snobby and, I fear, snide. *Sigh* Comment posting is certainly not my forte. Let's just say I have a dry sense of humor that gets my in trouble in "real life," the transition to cyber space may be bumpy.

What I hoped to convey was my thankfulness. You are truly the first person I've ever come accross who posed any sort of challenge to my insular way of thinking. Until I began to read your blog I always dismissed "right-wingers" out of hand. Still can't say I won't vote dem., but I am definitely more aware of the opposing points of view (and re-evaluting my own positions).

Right, even when I try to keep it short I wind up writing a novel!

Ryan

ps- Don't know if there is any confusion, but I am female. Ryan is a family surname and my middle name. It is pronounced like Ryan, not Ry-anne or Re-ahn or any feminized version. Thanks!