Monday, August 9

A Strange Day, but A Good Day

One of the things I love the most about homeschooling is the regular, interactive, constructive tone that life takes on as part of the process. We are all a part of one another's days, integral and flowing. Granted, there are the occasional Class V rapids in that flow, but you're in it together and don't have to battle other outside influences to such an extent as those who do not homeschool. Personally, I'm very thankful for that consistency. It's something we use well, and a dynamic that I hope will continue to serve us well in the coming years.

John is thoroughly addicted to math. He loves it. He also surprised me today by doing Latin all the way through with us. He even recited the review work in Latin (he normally does it in English and I just count it as memory work for him).

James
began reading Thornton Burgess' Blacky the Crow. I was much more excited about these books before I hit the paragraph about "the horrible hunter" with "the awful gun". Oh PUHLEEZE. When it comes to conservation perspective and political issues, I must say that I eagerly await the day when the boys can read the writings of Theodore Roosevelt rather than this pompous drivel. Oh well, there is quite a bit of wit elsewhere in the writing, and James did enjoy those parts.

Zorak worked late tonight and goes in early tomorrow. That can't be fun for him. He just came in (nearly midnight) and the first things he asked were how are the boys and how did bathtime go and how did they do. I really appreciate the things he does for his home and family.

The MVA is not open on Mondays, so we bought squishies and enjoyed the a/c in the Suburban as we came home. James lamented "all that gas we wasted"- he's right. I should've called. Tomorrow we'll school in the car and run errands. Tomorrow night is an archery club meeting that Zorak would like us all to attend. It would be nice to hook up with other families w/ NRA stickers on their vehicles. *grin* It would also be nice not to receive menacing glares for my beliefs! The meeting is a bit late for the boys, I think, but even if the boys and I don't go, I hope Zorak goes at least.

And really, that's all for tonight. Be good to one another! Have a beautiful Tuesday!

Dy

3 comments:

Marla said...

Dy,
I REALLY love the new look of your blog! I've been reading but not taking the time to post comments lately. Summer is so busy and fun, ya know, that I just make the rounds reading and then I'm off the computer! Thank you for your prayers as we begin our first year of HSing! I am so excited and so are my boys! I'm sure I'll be blogging all about it. My youngest (8 year old) has done the first 2 lessons in Math U See and has already commented how much he likes it and wondered why the school didn't teach it that way! Cool!
Thanks for all your encouraging words and for being so transparent in your writing! You are a blessing to me!
Marla

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your first day "back". *grin* It's always exciting to start the school year fresh.

Schools here in Kyiv start September 1st, and so I'm thinking along that timetable. I must admit I was shocked last week reading about someone starting their homeschool year. *blush* I hadn't given it much thought, yet!

Anyway, we still have an upcoming family vacation and another short-term summer team coming, so "school" here won't really get going until after that.

J-Lynn said...

Go to the meeting!!! It will be good for ALL of you and worth a little sleep deprivation. ;-)

Glad to hear all is going well, one of these days we'll actually catch each other on the phone!

Hugs,
Jess