Wednesday, August 18

Books & Messages

ARGH!

In going through book descriptions to line up a list for our next visit, I have come to the point of near-explosion! Head... popping... vein... busting... frustration. I've read the descriptions of over 50 books today, and perhaps four (maybe? I'm being generous here) did not contain the phrase (or some semblance of the phrase) "little Waldo learns that it's important to be yourself."

OK. Sure, peer pressure is an issue that ought to be dealt with, and perhaps it's starting earlier than I am willing to admit. However, these are picture books and early readers- books geared for the under six crowd. Maybe it's me, but I don't think I've met many four year olds who have any trouble being themselves- or six year olds for that matter. Aren't we just encouraging that self-absorption that we desire to oust from our children's mindsets?

What about books that instill the importance of being kind or generous, of being noble or honest? Could we get maybe a handfull of those, please? It's wonderful to have so many books to choose from that tell kids "it's ok to be ____" (insert oppressed whatever here), but how about a book or two with the message "it's imperative that you be kind TO _______" (insert oppressed/handicapped/different issues here)? Is that just too darned much to ask?

What if a child is selfish? What if he's a jerk? It's ok- BE YOURSELF. Don't work on yourself, and don't strive to better yourself. No, no, you're perfect just the way you are. So, following that logic why don't we just issue a whole series of books that come right out and say, "It's ok if the other kids treat you like dirt, as long as you know it's ok to be yourself!" It's not that I don't see validity in addressing differences and hurdles that children do face, but most of these books don't even deal with those things. They're just all about feelin' good about yourself and few of the ones I've seen today dealt with challenges or differences. They are all so bland.

How much good does self-esteem do if there is no such thing as respect for others? Respect for self (because self-esteem is not the same thing as self-respect!)

Would somebody please write some of these books? I'd love to see Little Waldo learn the beauty of giving, or the strength of kindness!

Dy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Dy, you would be the perfect one to write those books! So will you please start writing those books, please? God has gifted you with an amazing ability to write really well. Unlike me, so now I will say goodbye and God Bless.
Love Janet.

Donna Boucher said...

I agree, Dy. Self-esteem is baloney.
There are many books that model children being kind and lovely. They can be found...

But Janet is right. It sounds like you should write one with your own proper perspective :o)

I like the term self-usefulness. It is by being helpful and useful that we gain true esteem.
We have value because of God. And I sure hope to impart to my children that only what is valuable to God is worth any value.

Does that make sense?
Donna