Thursday, August 5

Oh Goody-Goody!

Not only did we find The Hobbit, but we found an absolutely charming bookstore, as well. They've ordered two different copies of The Hobbit because we couldn't tell within the system (and, naturally, I'd forgotten the ISBN) which was the one we wanted. The owner said, "I'll order both in and you can pick the one you want."

My children plunked down quite happily as soon as we arrived, with a book between them, and James read aloud while the shop owner and I searched. Nobody glared. Nobody looked askance. Mmmmm, I love it.

So great was my joy in finding a helpful, kind, child-friendly bookstore that we headed to the children's area and picked out a few fun nuggets for the boys: Now We are Six (A.A. Milne), Blacky The Crow, Old Granny Fox (both Thornton W. Burgess books in the paperback Dover Children's Thrift Classics- $1.50 each!), Just So Stories (Kipling- the boys enjoyed reading them over and over, so we couldn't go wrong with our own copy), King Arthur Tales From the Round Table (Andrew Lang).

Now for the real Goody-Goody! We also picked up our very own copy of Redwall. This, in itself is fun, but the true excitement is in the fact that Brian Jacques will be HERE, at this very bookstore, on October 2nd. I can't wait!!!

Additionally, as if I have somehow garnered extreme favor from God Himself (or pity, but either way, I'll take it), it is only 74' outside right now. The humidity is still 85%, and it's raining, but after the absolute broiling moldy hell that has been the weather here the past month, this is sheer heaven! I have windows open! Could it mean that Autumn is coming to greet us with its cheerful sights and calming temps?

Dy

1 comment:

Tenniel said...

Treasure and frequent that bookstore if you can - a good and child friendly bookstore is often hard to come by these days.

Peace,
Tenn