Thursday, August 12

No apologies!

Wow, I am awed at the apologizing going on around here lately (both on blog and off). It's touching, but let me get this out- it's totally unnecessary! If y'all haven't noticed, the readers of this blog are a great group- incredibly "diverse" and really awesome people. In spite of repeated announcements in various online communities that "tone can't really be expressed on the monitor" I say, HA! Seriously, "secondhand crack smoke"?? C'mon, who'd take that seriously?

What I thought was most interesting is that there was a lot of apologizing, although nobody was actually offended, and I think everybody "got" the humor and bantering that's taken place. I, personally, thoroughly enjoyed it. Sort of indicative of our PC "first offend no one" culture, I think. (May be just going out on a very small limb, too, who knows?)

So, by official proclamation, I hereby decree that this blog is a safe place to be a wise-acre and crack the occasional joke! Undo those ties, take off your coats and stay a while. This is a safe place.


Everyone who hangs out in this neighborhood has always been respectful, and we don't take ourselves too seriously. Not to mention, if you're a long-time reader and you're still reading, you're either among friends or you're apoplectic with rage at this point and about 30 seconds away from an aneurysm anyway...

Soooo, on to other items of interest.

Today was a good schooling day and a good day in general, but I really dropped the ball on the "gentle mommy" goal. *sigh* There are just days when your children will push every button you've got and when, by the grace of God, that doesn't work, they'll go find the circuit breakers and throw 'em all just to see what happens!

However, in keeping with my whole "salting the earth" philosophy of child-rearing (original reference is lost in the archives somewhere... but it's really "salting the oats"), we talked and snuggled and there were apologies and forgiveness all around. Even poor Jacob, who caught a heel to the forehead that laid him out flat (no, it wasn't mine, it was one of the circuit-breaking moments from a brother!) was caught up in the Love that we had goin' around. Through humility, perserverance and some read-aloud time on the bed, the day was salvaged and totally useable.

The NJ governor resigned today. That was weird. Personally, I'm glad he's gone because I think he's a horrible, disgusting, unscrupulous human being, but that opinion has everything to do with his acts AS GOVERNOR and today's revelations have no bearing on my feelings toward his fitness to be Governor. Really, for those of us who have followed his escapades, the man had more than enough other reasons to resign and this whole "outing" thing just reeks of a political ruse to garner sympathy and divert attention from the actual issues surrounding his tenure. Not that I don't believe he's gay, but just that I question the methods and motivations behind it. Don't be surprised to find ulterior motives unearthed before this dies down.

In happier news, Joanne from The Happy Homeschooler, linked to this article recently. She couldn't find a single thing wrong with the article, and neither could I. Just thought I'd share the love.

OK, it's too late to be up if we're going to be on the road in the morning. Going into the Big City for a field trip and I really don't want to fall asleep on the drive. Have a great Friday, everyone!

~Dy

1 comment:

Marla said...

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be flying through D.C. or Baltimore when we come home - boo hoo! We'll either be landing in Dallas-Ft. Worth or Kansas City, depending on how we plan this out. IF we find out we have a layover near you, I'll let you know cause I'd love to meet you and your guys! We have 2 weeks at home and then we'll be off to another foreign post. Don't know where yet, but that's part of the fun. As you say, weeee!!!