Thursday, August 26

Up Today at Five O'Clock!

BUT, so was the baby, and then we went back down until six thirty, at which point everyone was up. *snort* Getting to bed at an earlier time is certainly helpful in many ways, and I feel great! I'm hoping it will become habit soon. Unfortunately, I've discovered that if I'm not sitting next to Zorak by the desk, giving him the "Can I play? Huh? Huh? Can I spike? Huh? Huh? Can I? Can I?" routine, he'll never get off the computer and to bed at a decent hour! ROFL! However, it's a quiet morning and I'm doing a quick stealth-blog while the boys are playing.

It's been a short week here. The weather has been almost non-oppressive, so we went to the park on Tuesday. There's a company picnic today. Tomorrow is CWS Friday (compressed work schedule- every other Friday off, so school is off every other Friday, too!) Hmm, short week. Yet surprisingly productive.

John certainly has a flair for the dramatic. When he reads his phonemes correctly, the best reward I can give the child is to fling myself over on the couch with my arm over my forehead, and proclaim, "AH! He's reading! What WILL I do?" *shaking head curiously* You'd think he'd want an atta-boy, eh? Nope, let's shoot for the absurd. Well, whatever works. Phonics and reading lessons now exhaust me as much as read alouds, but he's happily learning to read, so I'm not about to change it.

James' hair is growing back out- slowly- somewhat painfully- but it is growing. He says now that he wants to grow his hair "mommy-long". HA! Funny, funny child. That is SO not going to happen.

Jacob can stand, unassisted, for minutes at a time. He just stands and plays, jabbers, and does his thing. I have to say, though, that with James' full vocabulary at one year old and John's fairly good vocabulary at one... Jacob has me a little befuddled. I don't know what to do with a child who doesn't speak well at one year old! Fortunately, he's not lacking for communication skills, nor is his comprehension dulled at all. He knows, and "gets", a lot- possibly more than John did at this age. (Well, John comprehended, he just didn't care.) Jacob is a lot of fun. All three boys are, truly.

New phones aren't in. Verizon said "3-4 days". Even counting just "working days", they should have arrived by Tuesday, at the latest. Hmph. We'd really like to have them for our trip on Friday. I hope this isn't indicative of Verizon's service...

Huh, well, there ya go. I had so much to share- news and a few editorial comments, but sitting here in the glare of the unkempt monitor (really must clean this thing), it's all gone. Just wanted to let you know that we're alive and doing well, keeping busy, and someday will have regular early-morning blogging. (Must begin taking notes, though, as each day seems to be a clean slate for my befuddled mind.)

Dy, off to read email and go wrestle with the baby for a bit- Have a lovely Thursday!

3 comments:

Crissy said...

Up at 5am here, too. Corky left for the airport, and I couldn't sleep so here I am at the computer. It's now going on 7am and my boys are still asleep. If I finish up here I might be able to get the sweeping and mopping done before they stir.

It's hard to believe that Jacob is a year old already! I know you aren't worried, just commenting on the differences between your boys, but I wanted to mention Jeffrey's lack of vocabulary at age one. He didn't actually say ANYTHING until he was nearly two, when it all started flowing in complete sentences. Shortly thereafter we realized that he was also able to read. He was just absorbing so much information in those first two years, he probably didn't have time to say much.

Wishing you a safe and happy trip on Friday. Enjoy that Whole Foods Market. A new one just opened in our neighborhood and we love it!

Crissy
Classical Home

Anonymous said...

Kids are so different in learning to speak! My grandson hardly said a word until he was almost 3, but he obviously understood everything and showed his intelligence in many ways. He also did a lot of communicating through signs and gestures before he started talking. Once he started, his vocabulary grew by leaps and bounds and within a year his vocabulary was way ahead of what you would expect for his age. Now (age 5) he talks all the time!
Mary Jo in MD

Anonymous said...

Dy, son 2 0f 7 was slower to talk than most of mine but when he did he spoke in sentences. He could get what he wanted by pointing and grunting so why bother? The joke in the family is that he would still prefer to point and grunt... He's now an engineer which explains alot.

We have verizon and have had no problems with service so don't worry on that score, but I would call and ask what's up with delivery.

Blessings to you, Suzanne