Thursday, June 7

North American Rock Babies

Many people are familiar with the Prairie Dogs found in the high desert and plains regions of the Southwest. A lesser known critter is the North American Rock Baby.

These little cuties are often mistaken for badgers, mountain goats, or, quite frequently, prairie dogs.

They are relatively slow, but have excellent balancing skills.


Larger, more aggressive, and less likely to carry rabies or eat the roots from foliage than the prairie dog (though more likely to consume rocks, twigs, and gum stuck to the undersides of tables), the Rock Baby is a true delight to observe and photograph.



If you venture out early in the mornings, you may be fortunate enough to find a Rock Baby poking its head out of its den.



(I found the missing photographs!)

Kiss those Rock Babies!
~Dy

11 comments:

Needleroozer said...

Yay! You found them! What a sweet rock baby you have!
LB

Jennie C. said...

Aw. She's a cutie.

Jules said...

Oh what a gorgeous babe!

Aren't we the luckiest people in the world? ;)

Thom said...

AWWW!!!! I want a Rock Baby!!!! I'm definitley going to keep my eye out for them!! Does their habitat include the Blue Ridge Mountains, perchance?!?!

Patty in WA or Rover said...

Doll baby is more like it.

Tyute! (That's how my offspring used to say "cute"--so of course we still do it.)

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Oh yay! Little Em is so adorable! I think I have a soft spot for her in my heart because she has the same name as I do, AND because I got to "know" you guys through your blog while you were pregnant with her.

Aww. Warm fuzzies. I like you guys. :)

Melora said...

OOOOoo! (waving hand wildly!) I want a Rock Baby! She is so cute!

melissa said...

Oh Dy! She's getting so big already!! What a doll-baby!

momanna98 said...

Aww... what a cutie!

mere said...

Oh, she is soooooo cute! I love the look of determination on her face in the last pic. Sarah Jane says "Ooooh Bee Bee!" wave, wave, and all the boys agree she's darling!

I hope we get to see more soon!

Amber said...

I love the pictures, she is such a cutie! Very determined too, it appears. *grin*