Tuesday, June 12

A Few Things

This has been quite a week, and it's only Tuesday. First, there was the team party cake. I offered, I know. What was I thinking? It baked up beautifully, and even came out of the pan in one piece. I was SO jazzed.

I made a "rolled buttercream fondant" for the main icing. Tinted it deep yellow/gold and rolled it on. Oh, beautiful! Then, I needed to make a dark navy blue. Hmm, there's no blue-blue in this box of many colors. Only Sky Blue. Well, what do I mix to make it work (there's always a way to make it work!) After several panic-stricken hours online, and one rather cryptic phone call to Wilton:

W: Oh, honey, you can't make Navy Blue with sky blue. You need Royal Blue to make Navy Blue.
ME: Ok, but I don't *have* Royal Blue. I *have* Sky Blue, because that's what you put in your eight-pack.
W: Well, you'll need to get some Royal Blue.
ME: I'm an *hour* from the only store that both carries your stuff AND is open for the next 48 hours.
W: You need Royal Blue and Black.
ME: So, um, do you have anybody there who'd be willing to get a little crazy and wing it with me?


That's when she threw the rule book out the window and helped me figure it out. In case you ever run into this problem, it takes the ENTIRE tub of Sky Blue and a few dabs of Violet, and you will get Navy Blue. Oh, sure, I may be a bad influence on CSR's, but hey, we both learned something, and that's good.

Now, for the record, if you try to decorate a cake at home, make sure you turn the AC down. 80 degrees might feel nice and comfy *for you*, but your buttercream may beg to differ. It doesn't seem to matter how stiff you make it, it's gonna wilt, and sag, and probably streak. So, John's team got a lovely blue and gold Nightmare on Elm Street cake. *sigh*

EmBaby's rear seems to be on fire from the inside, and she's been rather miserable and clingy in a hold-me-only-by-the-armpits sort of way. She awoke this morning in such pain that she couldn't get up. Turns out she'd had a blowout sometime during the night, and that didn't help. She just lay there, trembling and crying, but unwilling to go through the torture of sitting on anything in order to stand. We spent a lot of time the last few days airing out, bathing in cool water, and eating bland, bland toast. I thought it had to be teething, and sure enough, there are two more on their way in. So, she should be better soon. I hope so!

Then, the Very Nice Lady from the dentist's office called yesterday. The conversation went like this:

VNL: Hi Mrs. Dy. I'm just calling to let you know that we have an opening for Tuesday at 5:30, and see if you'd like to take it.

ME: Um, TOMORROW?!?!?

VNL: ...Or would you rather keep your Thursday appointment?

ME: THURSDAY?!?!?!

VNL: ...Or did you completely forget you had an appointment this week?

ME: THIS WEEK!?!?

VNL: (who by now knows me well) So Zorak can take the kids and we'll see you tomorrow at 5:30?

ME: *whimper* OK. *sniff* Thanks. *sob*

So Zorak came home and I grabbed my current read (The Prince) and headed off for the root scaling.

I've gotta say, it's worth it. I'm actually (and no, not just blowing smoke, here) looking forward to next week. And it's not just so that the other side of my mouth will match, either. (Although that will be rather nice.) It. Is. Worth. It. If you've been putting off going to the dentist because you just *know* he'll tell you something horrible, well, here you go - short of doing meth, my teeth seem to have been about as bad as they can be, and the worst they can tell you is that they can help you. Go. And I'm going to go to bed. :-)

Oh, if I owe you an email, give me until tomorrow night to respond. I haven't checked email in a while, and now that the novacaine is wearing off, I'm not checking it tonight, either. Please know I'm not ignoring you. I'm simply overwhelmed with wilty icing, dental visits, some computer trouble, and erupting toddler. Things should be back down to a dull roar by tomorrow.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

8 comments:

Melora said...

I hope you took pictures of that cake -- I'm sure it was beautiful! I've made fondant fillings, but I've only ever put purchased fondant on cakes. You are a brave soul!

Poor little Em! I hope she's feeling better today.

I know Exactly what you mean about the surprise calls from doctors' offices. And trying to pretend that you Aren't surprised. But The Prince for dentist office reading? You are a toughie!

Laura said...

The cake sounds great! I'd like to see pictures of it, too.

And I have to agree with Melora - your dental office reading would make me tense and primed for pain! Couldn't you have found an Agatha Christie or something?

mere said...

Sounds like a long dress or t-shirt and a bare bottom is in order for little Em. Ouch! We've seen a bit of that here lately, but it cleared up pretty quick.

I lol'd at the icing story...I used to work in a cake shop and have been very intimate with butter cream icing...I could totally relate! I'll bet it tasted just fine, which is what really matters.

Have a great day!

mere

Heidicrafts said...

My mom and dad had the opposite trouble today. Last Friday, Dad's Main Doc made an appt. for my dad with Heart Doc on Wednesday.

Today (Wednesday) Mom and Dad were getting ready to leave the house when Heart Doc's receptionist called, confirming Dad's Thursday appt.

Not today. Tomorrow.
Today was just a drill.

As Mom told me, at least the appt. wasn't really for Tuesday instead.

Bob and Claire said...

LOL, your cake adventure sounded exciting! I'm sure it tasted great, and my experience is that little boys don't care much about asthetics of cakes! Hope you post a picture--I don't have Royal Blue here either!

Anna is also teething, so I am right with you on that. Molars, right? She has been a royal crab, poor thing. I'm trying to be understanding and patient, LOL.

J-Lynn said...

Honey, 80 degrees would never be in the "comfy" catagory for me. LOL

You did so well though!!! And you even found the place. ;-)

I'm glad you're getting so much work done on your teeth too! I am still procrastinating myself.

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Poor Em! Jonathan has had really bad diaper rash lately, too, so we can empathize. I finally took him to the doctor today, because I wanted to be sure it wasn't a yeast infection that I ought to be, you know, TREATING. It wasn't, and he says we're doing everything right (bare bottom, desitin) but the poor little guy.

Anyway, we feel for you! :)

Jules said...

Awww- poor baby! My kids always get those butt-burning poops when they were teething too. Plain old cornstarch worked wonders.

And I think I will take your advice on the dentist thing. It's been years. I have an irrational fear that I must get over before it spills out onto my children. Yep. Dentist appointment. Soon. I promise. ;)