Saturday, June 23

Hey.

Just one more swig of coffee and I've got to get back to work. But I needed to take a little break and relax. It's been a busy few days, folks!

Thursday, Zorak had to go out of town, I had to go to the dentist, and John had to sign up for summer ball. All at the same time. And yet, we pulled it off. (And we owe Ben & Claudia big time for coming to watch Danger Girl and her minions of impending death while I was at the dentist's.)

Friday, we drove up to Nashville to visit with Jill (Crib Chick) and her clan en route back to the Land of the Free. Harried day. Awesome visit. Way too short, but we're so, so glad they took the time to stop and see us. They are truly awesome people. Oklahoma's lucky to be getting them back.

We raided the Russell Stover outlet. Yes, we're going to put the sugar-induced-coma theory to the test! WAHOO!

And for the past two days, we have worked like men possessed on the Forever Home. The house and yard have been de-hillbillified. For the most part. (We're having people over who are not in our Inner Circle. Yes, if you're in our Inner Circle, you get to wallow in our hillbilly shack love. But for foreigners, we clean. It's a complex ritual.) Aside from the flaking paint on the eaves, and the sidewalk/gauntlet combo we haven't torn up yet, this place could be in AnyNeighborhood, USA. Pretty cool. Even the saw horses have been put away!

The menu is planned. (Although we stopped at three different grocery stores today and not one of them had root beer in bottles. Every store is sold. out. Is there a pending FDA ban on I.B.C. we haven't heard about?) The swingset has been cannibalized for an obstacle course. The back porch is clean and ready for stain. (Which we won't probably ever get around to putting on it, but hey, it's ready just in case someone takes pity on us and comes to paint it one day. It could happen.)

Zorak is in the basement, painting the pirate ship. (Would you believe we have looked at FIVE different stores, and not a one of them had black or brown tissue paper? We can't have a pink pirate ship!) I'm trying not to make eye contact with the kitchen. It scares me, and the intimidation factor is pretty high right now. But soon, I will go clean. And I will win. Or Zorak will drag my dead body out of the kitchen before the guests arrive. I just hope he runs the dishwasher first.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

7 comments:

Needleroozer said...

Wow! You have been on a roll, haven't you?! Not me, man. I just sat here in the ol' recliner, parylized with mother worry all dang day. I did do some silly blogging, but that was about it!
Way to go, and enjoy the party tomorrow. My Boy is still upset he isn't there to help out (he is AMAZING at little kid parties!), but we took him to fish and chips tonight and he is better. DId you know fish and chips is a cure-all for what ails you? Yep.
LB

Amber said...

Matt, re: the dehillbillifying of your home - "Just think hon, someday our house may look like that too!" *grin*

I totally understand the Inner Circle thing!

Jenni said...

What's going on with the pirate ship? Is it for a party for John? We made the swingset into a pirate ship for Caleb's birthday. Well, it sorta looked like a pirate ship.

Gotta go look for your gardening posts now:o)

Jenni said...

I just showed Danny your garden boxes. He was impressed. Then he laughed and said, "Yeah, well we'll see how you do with what we talked about first." He's seen how well I follow through with all these little ideas I get into my head!

melissa said...

"Zorak is in the basement painting the pirate ship." Am I the only one who finds that statement hysterical?

I know all about the Inner Circle. It's all one gigantic farce for me. I would hate for people to find out how we ACTUALLY live.

andie said...

UH! UH! UH! Nuh-UH! You got to visit with JILL!?!?!

Oh, I'm going to pout, now. Tantrum, even, perhaps. Just for that, I'm driving up the Big Nipple and visiting Kathy and Ernie without you. Humph.

:)



(Feel free not to publish any comment of mine, ever, that contains the phrase "drive the Big Nipple, btw)

Dy said...

Oh, no. It's goin' up! Nipple. Nipple. Nipple. Not just 'cuz you said it, but b/c you've threatened to go up to the farm *without me*. MAAANNNNN, that's not fair. I thought it was a road trip!
Dy