Monday, June 25

A Little Fear

Just a little, that's all I'm asking for, here. I mean, I'm glad she knows she's safe and loved and all that good stuff, but really. Come on. In the last week, this child has...

* Mastered the ladder and the slide in the yard. (Perhaps "mastered" isn't the right word - she hauls herself up the ladder, flings herself down the slide. Down she goes, on her back, limbs akimbo, rotating as she descends. She FLIES off the end, lands a foot or two past the end of the slide, flat on her back. Gets up, shakes it off, and goes back for more.)

* Fallen into water over her head - not once, not twice, but three times - without so much as complaining, or deciding perhaps it would be better to stay, oh, ON the LAND. Nope, just kept scootching out until she was in up to her neck and then *ploop* stepped right into the deep water. (Yes, I was *right there* to grab her. No, she was not in danger of drowning, but she doesn't need to realize that, does she? Sheesh, the other three refused to take baths for a week after they got water up their noses.)

* Climbed to the top bunk, and fallen off the ladder. (Again, not an isolated incident.)

* Shimmied up the outside of the step railing on the front porch (you know, the railing we put up so she wouldn't plummet to her death...)

And then, the Grand Performance, Zorak went in to retrieve her from her nap, opened the door and found this:



GAH.

OK, aside from the fact that we obviously need to be a little more proactive about keeping an eye on this child (but this is so new - the other three were afraid of their own shadows - even John The Bold knew he couldn't fight gravity!), I would really like just a little fear. A little respect for velocity. Matter. Gravity. Basic. Laws. Of. Physics, folks. And does she mind the occasional bruised forehead, or bashed lip? Nope, not one little bit.

I swear I will starch the underpants of the first person who uses the term "extreme sports", (or any variation of) in front of this child when she's old enough to understand.

(Yeah, the mattress is as low as it can go - that'll buy us, oh, another two days while we reconfigure the nursery.)

She's the joy of my heart, but she is a bit hard on the ol' ticker.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

16 comments:

Jennie C. said...

Happy little imps are like that. They may be cute and all, but they sure do cause an increase in the gray hairs!

Needleroozer said...

Uh. Oh. You have one too! We wre constantly saying to our Danger Girl, "Can you say grav-i-ty?". I feel for you and have been here!
Hugs,
LB

Anonymous said...

Oh, boy. #4 is going to be a challenge, even if she is a girl. I was so hoping that since it wasn't another boy, I'd be out of the daredevil woods. Doesn't look like it!

Melora said...

Maybe it is a girl thing? K. was climbing on the dresser, desk, and kitchen counter at the same age. And walking out into water over her head. We didn't have to deal with the bunk beds, though. That would scare me. Danger girl is right!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh!

Both of mine were like that. She looks awfully happy with herself there...

-Gretchen

momanna98 said...

What an adorable look on her face!! Boy, I thought baby B was a climber. He's going to be ashamed when he hears he's been out climbed by a girl! heehee....

Bob and Claire said...

But the look on her face is so cute up there on the dresser! : ) Anna is my first climber as well, and she also has discovered the joys of the top bunk, although she never wants to get down, so she hasn't fallen off the ladder (yet). Quite a run-on sentence there--that's what a crazy climber will do to you! You know, we just switched around a bunch of furniture and rooms, and in Anna's new room, she also has a dresser right at the foot of her crib. Hmmm. Maybe I ought to proactively rearrange things!

Emily said...

WOW! She is cute! It's like she is saying, "Oh look! There is a light switch up here too!"

Looks like Everett is going to be our brave without fear kid. We are scared. Very.Very.Scared. We always thought it was Walker, until E came along. AHHHH!!

Donna Boucher said...

Uh Oh.

Mt. Everest here she comes!

Jules said...

She just wants to be one of the big kids!! ;)

Doesn't she understand that her cuteness won't get her out of EVERY sticky situation?

My goodness but you are in for a ride!! ;)

mere said...

Oh My! I won't be showing Sarah Jane THESE pictures! No need to put any thoughts of danger into her little head.

But Em is really adorable...and she looks so proud of herself.

Amber said...

Oh wow, she looks so happy and pleased with herself! I bet that was quite the heart attack though!! I love the evidence, thanks so much for capturing that moment and sharing it. She sounds like one busy little girl!

Sheila said...

Our #4 is just as bad. We keep saying that if #4 had been #1...we'd only have one kid.
It has to be a birth order thing. They see all the older kids doing stuff and it just doens't occur to them that they shouldn't do these crazy things.
Just try to tell Baby Sam that he's not old enough to play baseball or that something is dangerous.

Rebel said...

Holy cow! She's like a little monkey. I never had the daredevil child, but I feel for you. Actually, I don't think anyone in my extended family clan has the daredevil gene. My niece, Emily, who is 3 and a half and still sleeps in a crib, has never once tried to climb out.

Amy said...

This is old-hat around our house. But of course their mother was found on top of the refrigerator at 18 months ;).

To save them from themselves we ended up taking them out of the crib at about 13 months - when my monkeys figured out how to climb out.

Have Fun!

J-Lynn said...

Welcome to my world. You must have snickered at me so God gave you one too. HAHAHA

Call me anytime. I understand. Did I tell you last month (when *T* was 17 months old) we were at "K"'s house and I went to check in on the kids playing in the boys room. Well, there was T on the VERY top of their bookcase!!! The bookcase was on top of their sons DESK!!! And it wasn't bolted to the wall either, it was a miracle we found him when we did or surely he would have fallen and he could have touched the CEILING! And he can climb both bunkbeds WITHOUT a ladder! *sigh*

So, think baby gates, lots of them. And drawer locks (drawers make good ladder steps) and lots of other inventive stuff. After C I have seen it all (well except for that glue trap thing - that was new. *sigh*). OK I've seen a lot (plenty for my taste) and you've patiently listened to my stories. So call ANYtime.

She just looks so darn precious even when she's being ornery though, I want to hug her!