Wednesday, June 20

Happy Birthday, John!

I haven't the words to do justice to him this year. He's just such a great kid. He's grown this year in confidence and stride. (Not to mention size - he is officially bigger than his big brother.)

He has developed a comfortable sense of where he is in this world, and where he's going. He seems to understand that it's a process, and the goal is to remain in upward motion - growing, learning, exploring, laughing, loving. Rinse. Repeat. It just doesn't get old. Not for him.

"What can I do to help?"

"You did a great job!"

"I'll take care of that."

"Let's do something together."

"I've got BabyGirl."

"Can I read it for you?"

If you take statements like those, douse them in a constant stream of humorous anecdotes and wise-cracks (this was his year for figuring out the parameters for humor vs. line-crossing, but I think he's got it now), and sprinkle the day thoroughly with a lot of affection and laughter, you'd just begin to have a peek at living with John.

He's the first one to offer to help. He's the first one by your side on the couch. He's the first one to suggest a game of ball in the meadow.

He gets the jokes that go over the rest of our heads. He makes up some pretty great stories, and tells them over and over again to entertain his little brother and sister. (The Orange Monster stories are still alive and well because of this.)

He wears his great big ol' heart on his sleeve. It gets bumped from time to time, but he's not about to put it away. That just wouldn't be The Way To Live.

And laugh. Oh, you've got to laugh. Sometimes I probably shouldn't, but, well, he's funny. He's literary funny. He's abstract funny. He's frat house funny. He's an all-around humorist. God help us once he masters satire. But, oh, he's hilarious.

He dreams big, and yet he's pleased and thankful for the littlest things, as well. He *gets* the pleasure of delayed gratification in a way I've never seen in someone so young. He's not only willing to stick it out for the long haul, but he really wants you to make it, too.

His father is his gold standard, and every step he takes, every task he takes on, he measures it by "Like Dad". If it'll get him one more step closer to being "Like Dad", he's good with it. If it's not "Like Dad", then his internal filter kicks in. So each step he takes, he takes with care and adoration, his eyes set high.

I just don't know how to express the way this child makes my heart soar. Every. Single. Day. Whether it's his laughter, his empathy, his wit, his noble heart, or his gentleness... it's all a part of Being John. And we get to live that each and every day. I'm so thankful. So humbled. So in love.

 
Posted by Picasa


This morning he summed up how he feels about turning seven:
Well, it's pretty exciting to be in my Late S's.
(He had to explain that one to me, but it's funny.) And he's right. It is exciting.

Happy 7th Birthday, John! We love you, and are so proud of you! Always.

Love,
Mom & Dad

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to a wonderful young man! and a very handsome young man at that!

Seven is such a great age..

My boys are 20 and 23.. it goes so fast! and that's why you have to kiss those babies!

Great Post!

mere said...

Doesn't the name John mean "God's gracious gift?"

It certainly seems to fit your boy.

Beautiful post, Dy.

mere

Melora said...

Happy Birthday John!
What a great kid, and a beautiful post.
Is six the "early Ss?" T. is going to have his last single digit birthday in July, which is a milestone that chokes me up a bit. I hope the late Ss are a great year.

Needleroozer said...

What a sweet post about a sweet young man. He is really growing up. Sniff.
LB

J-Lynn said...

ROFL@early S's!!! Oh Dy he's my kind of kid! (all of them are precious but John would have no difficulty blending into my Yankee family - haha).

ANd wow, he figured out the line crossing thing? I'm still trying to teach my oldest that! lol

You've got such great boys and John is no exception. Happy birthday sweet boy - we so...just...enjoy you!

Jules said...

I love how you write such wonderful tributes to your kids on their birthdays. It will be something they will truly treasure.

Happy Birthday to your little guy.

Rebel said...

What a wonderful, "Ode to John." He sounds like a great kid.!

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

Happy Birthday, John!

Thom said...

Happy, happy birthday, John!!

Bridget said...

Happy Birthday John. 7 is such a great age. Blake will be 9 next month and I just can't believe how grown up he seems sometimes. Then other times...well I love that he is such a little kid. I hope John had a great day!!

Bob and Claire said...

Happy birthday, John!

I didn't realize you had one with a late June birthday as well! The personality must go with the month, because Nathan sounds similar in a lot of ways to John! I loved the tribute to him. And the fruit pizza sounded yummy! What a mom, going that extra mile! : )