Sunday, June 3

It doesn't take much.

The contrast between the amount of work it takes to make a home look nice, and the relatively little effort it takes to crap it up again, is shocking.

Zorak borrowed Me-Wa's pressure washer, to cleanse the debris off That 70's Brick, and de-slime the Balcony O'Death. Come to find out, the balcony is much closer to death than we anticipated. I nearly fell through. Zorak nearly fell through. The children pressed their wee faces between the wrought iron bars on the storm door and wished they could try to fall through, also. I guess it looked like fun. So, okay, it isn't any more safe now, but it looks better, smells better, and is less terrifying on a microbial level. It's the small things, sometimes.

We washed the front of the house, hoping to find the magical color that'll tie it all together, hidden somewhere in the brick's many sparkly bits facets. I don't think we found it, although we did mellow the patchwork-coat feel of the brick colors somewhat. What we did find, however, was the magical color hidden beneath the painted trim. It's yellow. That was a surprise.

Oh, and the shutters? We cleaned those. The paint flaked off, revealing another bit of history for the Forever Home. Turns out the shudders (oops, Freudian slip - of course, I meant "shutters") were salvaged from the fire back in 1972. Well, not "salvaged", in the sense that they were saved. But they were kept and reused when the house was re-built. Did you know you could paint over charcoal? And did you know that when you blast the paint off the charcoal, the whole thing disintegrates into a black, oozing mess all over your hedges?

If you'd have pulled up to our place this afternoon, you'd have seen what it probably looks like when sub-contractors riot. But there we stood, ankle deep in green mud, both of us covered in mildew and wood rot, charcoal and paint chips, drinking our coffee and surveying the damage...

"I like the yellow."

"Yeah. That is nice."

I guess it's all about perspective. But the yellow was definitely a surprise.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

7 comments:

Staci Eastin said...

"When contractors riot."

ROFLMBO!!

Oh, mercy, Dy. We just have to meet someday.

There will be a day when the home repair projects will be well, not done, erm, abandoned perhaps. At least, that's how it was with us.

"I like the yellow." *snicker*

melissa said...

ROFL!! I can see it! I can totally see it! Y'all crack me up!

Great post! We love you guys!

mere said...

Man, you have had a busy weekend!

Do we get to see the yellow stuff?

Have a good one!

mere

Jennie C. said...

You guys are funny. Do you ever actually get exasperated, or are you always "glass half full" people?

Rebel said...

Does that mean that the shutters just disintegrated and are gone? We want to see the yellow and what's left if anything of the shutters.

Melora said...

You know, that contrast is why I've sort of let things go to pot around here lately. The dishes get done, the bathrooms are okay, and I vacuum, but things (books, toys, etc.) have been accumulating in odd places. Yesterday, though, I received the consequences of my slobbishness -- I couldn't find my Tomie de Paola "Saint Patrick" when I needed it for Sunday School, because of the mess, and the sermon ran long and I Really needed it. Back to cleaning.

I love the image of you and Zorak having such fun on the deck and the children wanting to play too!

The shutters really Melted? Wow! Pictures would be nice. I didn't know you could paint charcoal. Yellow trim sounds very cheerful!

Anonymous said...

Yellow, ah, what a soothing color, mixed in with leftover charcoal shu(dd)ers. I guess that's what happens when you take the good with the ... um... bad. Gotta love people that just can't seem to throw anything away. Even burnt shutters. Must see pictures.

BTW- boy howdy! do I ever know how little it takes to "crap up" a house. Four years in this little bungalow we live in, and all it takes a little idea like "hey honey, let's buy 5 acres and move to the country" to make you finally admit how much crap you've stored up in your home in such a short period of time. Ugh!

-dawn